hit tracker

Opinion: Microsoft should never have built the Xbox

Discussion in 'Xbox Gaming News' started by Zeus, Feb 25, 2010.

By Zeus on Feb 25, 2010 at 8:05 AM
  1. 11,051
    Zeus

Zeus MaxConsole News Team

Home Page:
    http://www.maxconsole.com
    The guys at Digital Trends are arguing that MS should never have built the Xbox. And it all comes down to opportunity cost. Essentially, they feel that MS has sacraficed the billion dollar PC market to try and 'assure' success of a product that makes millions in the Xbox.

<blockquote>There is no argument that the Xbox 360 is a sound game system, and it isn’t uncommon for a company struggling with its primary product to broaden their product portfolio and look to other areas for growth. The problem is that the opportunity cost is generally greater than the benefit, and that is the case here. As PRJ points out, PC gaming isn’t what it should be, but that was a cost of doing the Xbox 360, so Microsoft effectively sacrificed a product that generates billions to assure the success of a product that makes millions.

The ultimate cost to Microsoft to produce the Xbox platform was a weakened PC ecosystem, a stronger and more profitable rival in Apple, and an overall poor computer gaming experience. Bottom line: The cost of the Xbox significantly exceeded its benefit.</blockquote>

News Source: <A href="http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/microsoft-should-never-have-built-the-xbox/2/" target="_Blank">DigitalTrends</a>

Comments

Discussion in 'Xbox Gaming News' started by Zeus, Feb 25, 2010.

1. 1,817
      sirxlaughs

sirxlaughs Loyal Member

Quiet, you. Adults are trying to have a conversation.

2. 174
      BringItSON

BringItSON BANNED FOREVER

kinda is.

first for xbox controller range is terrible.
      i cant play downstairs cause of low range

wuts worse is that range decreases as batter gets worn out.

i have to change batteries when it still has 50 percent power. so if u have rechargable batteries, u must take them out everytime u play and take out a charger and find a out put and so on.

while ps3. plug and boom. u r done.

i mean it doesnt even have bluetooth
      lol wut is this 1990s?

hahah u lost the last argument and u r just afraid that u lose again.

i dont blame ya. i mean even great masta debaters cant win arguing for **** box.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2010
    3. 1,817
      sirxlaughs

sirxlaughs Loyal Member

LOLOLOLOLOLOL
      noob

4. 1,817
      sirxlaughs

sirxlaughs Loyal Member

Here's a real response to you.

You can't play downstairs? Where's the 360 and the TV? Upstairs? And first for xbox controller is wired. The 360 controller is wireless.

If you've experienced this on the 360 controller, you'll experience it on the PS3 and Wii controllers as well.

The 360 controller lasts longer on a single charge than the PS3 controller. It's simple math. Although, I don't expect you to know much about that.

If you say so.

So, what does it have? Bluetooth is a 2.4 GHz standard with a 30 ft range. The difference with the 360 is that it uses a closed 2.4 GHz standard with a 30 ft range. The 360 was designed as a closed system.

Whatever helps you sleep at night.

5. 174
      BringItSON

BringItSON BANNED FOREVER

if u no wut u r talking about, u should no ps3 bluetooth range>>>>>>>>>> xbox wireless range

i mean i can take it outside and play in my backyard with ps3.
      same with headset bluetooth

and charging is easy as plug and boom. done

so ull never have low charge.

while for xbox no one does that since u have to open it up.

haha u r arguing about range+battery of ps3

lol "xbox has top exclusive" LOLOLOLO noob

then ps3 has godlike exclusive.

6. 638
      Nemo17

Nemo17 Loyal Member

I kind of agree with you here.
      I like my PS3 because of the exclusives (Metal Gear Solid 4, Killzone 2, God of War collection and the upcoming God of War 3 has been highly anticipated for ages)
      Also, the charge is a nice addition but personally, that's only a bonus to a decent system.
      However, I do find myself playing my XBOX more than my PS3. (And my PS3 more than my Wii but that's fairly irrelevant)
      I would have said that the XBOX has some decent exclusives (Fable II, Left 4 Dead series,..)
      Although some games just annoy me for the XBOX (Gears of War, Halo, etc..) This is one of the only thing that bugs me is how hyped people are getting about Gears of War and Halo. I played both in the Gears series and all up to Halo 3 in the Halo series and they really just aren't worth getting stoked about. Rather than go blow £30/40 on these, I'd rather go buy a few beers and a bottle of Jack Daniels from my local store and get hammered.(Then again, I am a borderline alcoholic)
      But to say that MS should never have released the XBOX, I would have to call the guy that said this a complete idiot. If you're going to release a console which could potentially bring millions of people entertainment, then by all means attempt it. Take the Wii for example. I don't play it much but it has it's share of decent games (Resident Evil 4 Wii edition, Manhunt 2, Red Steel and the new Silent Hill looks sweet)
      My god I start to ramble on when I've had a drink..

7. 1,817
      sirxlaughs

sirxlaughs Loyal Member

I'm not arguing about the range or battery of the PS3. I'm clarifying the differences between the 360 and PS3 controller since you don't seem to know anything about them. The range of the bluetooth antenna in the PS3 controller is not greater than the antenna in the 360 controller. Look it up. You might learn something.
      The charging on the two controllers is the same. The 360 controller also has a charge cable. The difference there is that the PS3 controller has a non-replaceable battery, while the 360 controller can charge AA NIMH batteries.