hit tracker

Opinion: Natal will fail just like Sega CD

Discussion in 'Xbox Gaming News' started by Zeus, Jan 14, 2010.

By Zeus on Jan 14, 2010 at 9:43 AM
  1. 11,051
    Zeus

Zeus MaxConsole News Team

Home Page:
    http://www.maxconsole.com
    Website 'gamesonsmash' has an interesting editorial in which it believes that Project Natal will fail just like the Sega CD. They believe that the marketing of the product will not much up to the reality and they touch upon more expected similarities between Natal and Sega CD.

<blockquote>The main reason why I think Natal will be similar to the launch of Sega CD is because its marketing does not match up to its reality. Even though Sega CD and Natal are totally different tech, they are both add ons that were pitched to enhance your gaming experience with the console. Sega CD was advertised in a way to believe it was the future of gaming and it would enhance your Sega Genesis goodness. Microsoft started to aggressively market Natal the same way right after its announcement at E3 09.The reality of Natal started to set in when Major Nelson on Kotaku Radio confirmed that Natal won’t replace the 360 controller but will coexist with it, which contradicts the “controller-free gaming and entertainment experienceâ€.</blockquote>

News Source: <A href="http://www.gamesonsmash.com/?p=13451" target="_blank">Gamesonsmash</a>

Comments

Discussion in 'Xbox Gaming News' started by Zeus, Jan 14, 2010.

1. 0
      Nick255

Nick255 Guest

I would like to see how they plan to get Natal working with games such as Halo 1, Morrowind, and even Castlevania:SOTN. I have a feeling that playing existing games, especially original xbox games and games "ported" by using an emulator, will be even worse than trying to play Super Mario Brothers with a PowerGlove. Hopefully they will at least let you configure which movements map to each key individually for each game.

2. 260
      NaTaS666

NaTaS666 Loyal Member

Don't compare with Wii Fit. Compare it with the Wii Plus.
      How many "gamers" bought that?

3. 1,817
      sirxlaughs

sirxlaughs Loyal Member

At least 12+ million that bought Wii Sports Resort.

4. 0
      sliggo

sliggo Guest

Honestly for your sake I hope you are under twelve, if you are not your just a cretin that needs to go out and find a hobby or a girlfriend or something, and we know that your going to say you have one but your PS3 does not count.

Your hatred of Xbox is beyond sad, get over it.

5. 5,961
      DEDDOA

DEDDOA Loyal Member

The only thing I'm intrested in with Natal is how well it intergrates with the standard controller. From what i've read you can still play standard pad games with additional motion control. If that works well enough I can see that being the main advantage over the other 2 methods which require motion controls only or standard controlls and no motion control (sixaxis is not worth mentioning by comparrison given the total lack of support eve sony gives it) as it's an advantage to casual players and hardcore gamers.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2010
    6. 13,435
      billysastard

billysastard MaxConsole Co-Admin Loyal Member

Home Page:
      http://www.maxconsole.com
      i bought an eyetoy but have no plans for the m$ eyetoy v3, i already bought their beta console and have returned countless beta versions of games to the store.

7. 1,817
      sirxlaughs

sirxlaughs Loyal Member

I'm also interested in how Microsoft or 3rd parties plan to integrate Natal into more traditional games. One thing I'm glad about is that a Microsoft was intelligent enough to say that they understand Natal will not translate well to every game (such as Halo).

8. 1,817
      sirxlaughs

sirxlaughs Loyal Member

Do you have some sort of insider contact in the industry to be getting your hands on all those betas? Hey... wait a second...... Oooooohhh. I see what you did there. Very clever, sir. Very clever.

9. 0
      Nick255

Nick255 Guest

Don't forget games like SOTN. Keep in mind that SOTN is actually the PS1 version running in a PS1 emulator. The only way to integrate Natal into that is to map various motions into normal gamepad movements, which would be similar to trying to play (say) Super Mario with a PowerGlove. Having tried to play the NES Super Mario Bros using only motion control with a wiimite (connected to a computer, of course) as well as with the original power glove, I wouldn't want to try it with Natal either.

10. 4,415
      JonathanD

JonathanD Loyal Member

I would say the Sega CD was probably the single most successful add on in video game history up until the Wii Fit thing...

I am unsure how to put it, but any add ons divide the software market for your system. Games programmed to take advantage of Add on X cost more then one that is developed for just the system "out of the box" The reason the Wiimote works on the Wii is that EVERY Wii sold has this controller.

From a developers perspective you have a few things to consider.

On the plus side
      1. It could make your game stand out and sell better then it would have if it was just using the regular controls and also possibly open up unique playing experiences. (this one hardly ever happens)

On the negative side
      1. your developing for a smaller market share then the target machine, unless Add On X is free and everyone can get it for nothing the sales will be some percentage of the consoles main base sales and this percentage will be small. (this one always happens) even Wii Fit selling like mad is still a small percentage of total Wii sales less then 50%.

Side note, you could develop your game to use both sets of controls hedging your bets but slightly increasing the cost of your game.

Some information on the best selling Add on ever....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Best_selling_games_of_all_time#Top_20_console_games_of_all_time

Its the number 2 selling game of all time at like 22.5 million sales. and its still less then half of the total console sales. So if I made a game for the Wii that required the Wii Fit board at best my sales are going to be cut in half compared to making my game that works with every Wii.

The same thing will happen to Natel, or it could be worse it could be the new Power Glove or U-Force....

11. 2,591
      EL_CAD

EL_CAD Loyal Member

I think it's already ahead of the U-Force, that was not the most widely know add-on, plus it came after quite a few bombs like the Power Glove. Though the failure of Tony Hawk's Ride should signal caution to any would be add-on.

I think the Sega CD could have made it, if it weren't for that 32X and the promise of Saturn.

Wii Fit and Wii Fit Plus's install base almost the same as the PS3, so developers shouldn't worry about lost sales, that is unless they are also going to quit making PS3 games as well. Plus the over 31 million customers who bought the Wii Board should be the better customers since they were already willing to buy the add-on.

12. 6,014
      grapeape

grapeape Loyal Member

Consultant
      Sega's marketing was horrible...they would release one product and before its even fully stocked announce the next thing down the pipeline...after a while Sega gained a reputation for a new console every 2 years.

I dont see Tony Hawk's ride as a good comparison, its an addon for a single game and rather limited at that. At least with music games there are different genres, with a skateboard addon your pretty much limited to skateboarding and i guess snowboarding...other than that its just a skinny balance board that isnt practical for much else.

IMHO Natal success is dependent on its bundling and the quality of titles released for it, same goes the Sony's solution. Sony's can easily be packaged with the console while MS has the redesign option still at their disposal, natal built into the console would ensure at least a minimal level of success.