hit tracker

Other OS removal means PS3 Supercomputer era is dead claims Dr. Mueller

Discussion in 'Archived General Gaming News' started by RGTG, May 9, 2010.

1. 113
    RGTG

RGTG Loyal Member

2. 6,627
    tech3475

tech3475 Loyal Member

All he has done is give Sony a reason to remove it, after all, Sony make a loss on every unit sold (at least at the time).If anything it makes it sound was more like a form of publicity by saying how 'powerful' it is.

However, I must ask about this part of the source:

source

Last time I checked, you had to manually accept the update and surely they would be in other OS and not Game OS? Which means that either the article is questionable or it's another source for mocking the Americans.

3. 38
    DCunderground

DCunderground Loyal Member

As I stated in the original post, this is obviously BS, the blog that this comes from is a fuckin joke. Two posts away from this the dude claims that Nintendo is "afraid" of Apple. Nintys not afraid of anyone asswipe.

4. 3,209
    Trashcat

Trashcat Loyal Member

Nobody needs ps3 for supercomputing any more, today you can buy an order of magnitude more powerful Fermi Geforce or Tesla card.

5. 417
    waldog

waldog BANNED FOREVER

Those are GPUs are they not? They want the ps3 for the CPU (cell) for super computing, not the GPU. ;)

6. 6,014
    grapeape

grapeape Loyal Member

Consultant
    You mean like the ones that Nvidia bragged about Oak Ridge using last fall that was scrapped by Oak Ridge in December due to what was described as "massively underpowered, overheating, inefficient and ubderdelivered?"...

7. 304
    switchg3ar

switchg3ar Loyal Member

Neurosurgeon
    I hope you didn't get your information from semiaccurate or other sites that base their information on them. Everyone knows Charlie Demerjian hates nvidia for whatever reason.

http://www.legitreviews.com/news/6999/

There is a reason Charlies site is called "semi" accurate. That story is a bit dated, if you look around you will see newer articles on nvidia's and oak's relationship.

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2010
  8. 6,014
    grapeape

grapeape Loyal Member

Consultant
    Didnt know about that site.. it is amusing..the latest I has was info posted in May stating that while they were still interested in Nvidia's platform the future the fermi project was on hold and in the meantime they were moving forward with an opeteron based solution. It was actulaly in a journal I subscribe to...I'll dig it out and see if I can scan it...it was actually an interesting read, from what I gathered the fermi stuff still looked promising but just wasnt there yet.

9. 608
    Khameleon

Khameleon Loyal Member

I agree with this guy.

Oh except for that fact that supercomputers don't need linux now do you have to be online in MW2. Nice try though I guess.

10. 949
    Signa

Signa Loyal Member

To be fair, if you worked for that computing department, and after 3+ years of blindly accepting updates, and you weren't a gamer, why would it be so hard to believe that they might accept this one too? Sure, there are the other points that people made about the source, and I am completely talking out of my ass here, but I could totally see at least one PS3 computing farm being wrecked by this.

11. 1,184
    Cantenna

Cantenna Loyal Member

LOL!
    Not Bloody Likely!

A secure Digital Distribution Channel is far more important!

12. 8,169
    msanchez

msanchez Loyal Member

Yeah definitely, I know if it wasn't because I'm a gamer I wouldn't have known about this either. Just imagine what would happen to a private in the air force who updated the ps3s by mistake.

13. 605
    Tempos

Tempos Loyal Member

This is a non-issue. Anyone using a cluster of PS3s as a super computer probably has them secured from the WAN to begin with (this would mean they would never be issue the update). Also as these things are probably running Other OS 24/7 when would they ever be prompted to receive these updates. Sony have also released the PS3 slim which doesn't have the feature - the "future" of PS3 supercomputers had already been removed.

14. 13,435
    billysastard

billysastard MaxConsole Co-Admin Loyal Member

Home Page:
    http://www.maxconsole.com
    it may well not be true (more is the pity as uncle sam joining the class action would have been nice) but it doesnt prevent me from getting a smile thinking about obama sending a couple of squads of delta force into seca corp headquarters to explain what a bad idea it was to remove other os to anyone they left alive, as a bonus it would also cut by 80% the utter bollocks that spews from sony execs mouths everytime they open them.

15. 888
    wewii

wewii Loyal Member

DRM claims another victim.

16. 3,798
    iLLNESS

iLLNESS Loyal Member

HV Industrial Electrician, Mechanic + Emergency Re
    its not far fetched at all. sonys FW has been bugged out since day 1 of the consoles release and the only way to fix something, is to introduce a new bug by updating firmware. sony has been doing this since the ps3 released and if a person wants bug fixes, they need to update.
    there is also the issue of 'some people just want to stay current'. if something is new, odds are you're going to want it in one way or another. this could be applied here as well.

if you think this is too far fetched or its bullshit, think about it again and quit being a blind moron.

all in all, sony is fucking everyone with the otheros removal. OtherOS being removed is topping RROD on the news charts.. lol thats sad.

17. 2,358
    QrafTee

QrafTee Loyal Member

I wouldn't say that. RROD affected consumers more, but removing OtherOS is affecting institutions more (although I'm affected as well). I still say RROD is top dog in bigger fail because I can still use the PS3 without OtherOS although limited whereas RROD was... death.

I really wouldn't mind the removal of OtherOS if they just refund like $80+ back to me. Although I'd take giving OtherOS back just as well. I haven't really used my PS3 since OtherOS was removed so it's only going to hurt Sony and its partner's pockets in the end--if more people like my friends and I heavily used ZeroProject and such via OtherOS and don't want to lose it.

18. 8,169
    msanchez

msanchez Loyal Member

Why are you calling him a moron when he's the one that brought it up in the first place? he probably said it's far fetched so he wouldn't be crucified by the zealots.

I think both issues have differing categories. I mean from a usability stand point of course RROD is by far the worst thing to have happened to gamers (regardless of how please anyone is with ms' way of handling things), but when we are talking about just low disgraceful business practices the removal of OtherOs is probably one the most shiesty maneuvers a company has pulled on consumers.

19. 949
    Signa

Signa Loyal Member

I thought Illness was aiming that comment at everyone else because he agreed with me. I only said that it wasn't hard to believe some one wrecking their computing farm despite a lot of other people commenting on the accuracy of the article. Anyway, I probably should shut up now because I don't even own a PS3, so I don't know how updates are even presented to the users. I was just sayin'...

20. 7,336
    ThreeDog

ThreeDog Loyal Member

The same as everything else:
    System update feature like PSP.
    On an attempt to sign into PSN.
    On the disc itself.
    When you attempt to update a game (depends on the game)
    When you have a firmware on a usb stick (or maybe that was just recovery).

You cannot accidentally update the PS3 firmware, Automatically maybe in the future but not yet, updates are also on a per machine basis.
    Anyone "ruining" their cluster would have to exit Other OS, Click system update (doesn't require signin) or sign into PSN, Select yes i want to update my firmware, Agree to terms of service wait for the firmware to verify itself and the final step for verification is a screen that asks you to press a button to start the update and offers an automatic reboot tickbox, that person would have to do that on every system in the cluster.

I'm not going to dispute your opinion, it is possible but highly unlikely, It's a poorly written piece by a poor blogger that cannot check his facts. I'm sure anyone that is running a cluster would of gotten the email Sony sent out, Seen the news, checked the release notes or at the very least noticed after updating one or two systems.