hit tracker

PC gaming hardware shipments DOUBLE that of consoles combined... apparently

Discussion in 'Archived General Gaming News' started by Zeus, Aug 5, 2010.

1. 11,051
    Zeus

Zeus MaxConsole News Team

Home Page:
    http://www.maxconsole.com
  2. 5,961
    DEDDOA

DEDDOA Loyal Member

So thats growth with major piracy and no motion control gimics, not bad considering the usual bs thats spread about.

3. 357
    snake2

snake2 Loyal Member

I'll stick with consoles, that way I don't need to spend $1ooo every 2 months to play the newest games.

4. 3,798
    iLLNESS

iLLNESS Loyal Member

HV Industrial Electrician, Mechanic + Emergency Re
    sounds like anything with a nvidia or ati onboard or external card is considered a gaming pc nowadays (almost every computer seems to have it). i bet they even consider ion based chipsets a gaming pc.

or are they considering each video card sold? cuz some crazy fuckers out there will three way sli a gtx 295 or whatever it would be.

5. 3,798
    iLLNESS

iLLNESS Loyal Member

HV Industrial Electrician, Mechanic + Emergency Re
    for the record, i own a gaming pc (i7/gtx260/6g ram) which is fairly capable.. but guess what?!?! i dont play pc games.

6. 605
    Tempos

Tempos Loyal Member

As South Park's Michael Jackson says "that's just ignorant"... look at games like GTA on the 360/PS3, don't even run at 720p/30fps..

7. 26,553
    Xenogears V

Xenogears V Senior Helper Clean-Up Crew

This is the matter.

8. 37
    rovian

rovian Loyal Member

or are they considering each video card sold? cuz some crazy fuckers out there will three way sli a gtx 295 or whatever it would be.[/QUOTE]

You can't go 3-way sli on the gtx 295, each card has a dual gpu on it, so that only makes them 2-way sli capable, just for the records.. :)

9. 4,415
    JonathanD

JonathanD Loyal Member

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2010
  10. 493
    gooki

gooki Loyal Member

FWIW many people do play games on my Ion netbooks (including myself), but no where near as much as my consoles

11. 613
    CharmedonWB

CharmedonWB Loyal Member

Probably high end quadcore and hexacore cpus, high end gpus, keyboards, mice and controllers.

12. 799
    faceless

faceless Loyal Member

Home Page:
    http://
    they count any PC with a discrete graphics solution as 'PC Gaming Hardware'?

ridiculous!

13. 4
    KingPing

KingPing Loyal Member

1) I played all latest games (Metro 2033, Dirt 2, Bad Company 2) in my HTCP pc with a 8800 GTS just fine. That PC is from Q1 2006, and it didn't cost me $24000

2) pc games are cheaper (specially on Steam), you expend more on hardware, but you save a lot on games.

So no, there is no need to expend $1000 every 2 months if you expend your money wisely

14. 4
    KingPing

KingPing Loyal Member

That's only like 1% according to Steam Hardware survey

15. 13,435
    billysastard

billysastard MaxConsole Co-Admin Loyal Member

Home Page:
    http://www.maxconsole.com
    isnt the mouse a motion control gimmick ;)

16. 3,748
    MadonnaProject

MadonnaProject Loyal Member

It figures really. Console gaming boomed because it offered a cheaper alternative. Now with dlc bullcrap you never get the full game. there is always extra missions, extra dlc, extra guns, extra avatar and microtransactions everywhere to pay.

In fact I have switched to pc gaming for the most part for almost a year now. And it's wonderful.

I left pc gaming for the costs involved, now pc gaming costs far less and you get better visual fidelity also.

17. 2,591
    EL_CAD

EL_CAD Loyal Member

The on the motherboard graphics chips from ATI have worked for me. The last PCs I've built I've used the onboard video until I decided on a video card. The last one ran games like L4D and TF2 just fine. I think it was a Xpress 3200.

18. 949
    Signa

Signa Loyal Member

Another FYI, I gave my two generation old PC to my brother, built in 2003. It was a P4 2.8 HT, 2 Gigs of DDR, and a Radeon 9600XT. It still runs games like Left 4 Dead/2 and Team Fortress 2. Granted those are only Source engine games, and those scale well, but my point is that a 7 year old PC can run games that were released less than a year ago. I only spent about $1200 on it then.

Also, in my current machine, I'm using my recycled 8800GT. It's a 3 year old card, and I can run most games at max settings at full 1080P. The card is crap by today's standards, but if you felt like building a PC now, you could pick one up for cheap and have it last you for a while longer. Games are not going to get much better looking while the current console generation is holding everything back.

I know you were exaggerating with your statement, but it's a poor argument regardless. I would be much more willing to hear "Maintaining my PC's performance for gaming is too complicated of a task for me to spend the time learning." At least that can be true in a lot of cases.

19. 5,961
    DEDDOA

DEDDOA Loyal Member

Well I don't recall ever having to imitate an epleptic fit in order to use it and it works as claimed, so no, motion control yes, gimmick no :D

20. 5,961
    DEDDOA

DEDDOA Loyal Member

Thats one of the side effects off having most games developed for weaker hardware in consoles these days instead of vice versa, Singularity was a good example of that, looked practically identical to the 360 version even completely maxed out.

The PC gaming market is seemingly now based around affordable hardware unlike days of old where you had to get the fastest rig to get the game palyable at full detail, then upgrade every 12-18months, now it seems if you are 1 generation ahead of the consoles, you are fine. Now that i tink of it, geforce6 or 7 was the last must have max card gen, since then the midrange has been enough or Geforce 8 level has been enough to keep you going nicely.

I still remember having my pentium Pro, which was at the time the the best bang for your buck cpu wise and a matrox milenium 2, that struggled to run Microprose Grand Prix 2, n fact I could only play it smoothly when I got my pentium 2 400. These days gmaes like that are few and far between, crysis being the most recent I can recall.

I think the whole you need to pay a fortune and update every few months thing is just a stigma of old, kinsd of like how PC's are complcated to build even tho these days it's not more difficult than lego.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2010