hit tracker

Pixel 3 XL help!

Discussion in 'Off Topic & General Discussion' started by Artlover, Oct 5, 2019.

1. 1,283
    Artlover

Artlover Bad Ass Mother 4000, Twice as Fast as your Ass! Loyal Member

Property Maintenance
    Miami, Fl, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Universe
    So I was blessed with a Google Pixel 3 XL (128g).

It's nice, except for two frustrating situations I'm having.

#1: On my old phone (Galaxy On5), I have a multimedia sms conversation from 2016 to current. For some reason, many of the messages (mostly from my side of the conversation, but some theirs) will not transfer. Smartswitch, SMS Backup and Restore, every other sms backup I've used.

In an effort to trouble shoot, I installed a different message app and viewed the conversation, same messages were missing. So there is something corrupted I guess in the original samsung messenger app data, that only it can still deal with, but nothing else accessing the sms data can.

Shame the default samsung messenger app on this phone doesn't offer any export options, so these messages in question are stuck on this phone. :(

Does anyone know how I can fix this without loosing those messages and get them xfered over?

And...

#2: It did an auto transfer of most things during setup, including all my pics and music and downloaded files. Great. But it had created new storage directories inside download called "storage-0" and "storage-1". I moved files around, eliminated those directories and stuff to clean up my files. And when I search my storage via Xplorer, it shows fine. But in the samsung files app and google photos app, is still show the original directories, as if I never moved or renamed anything. It's like it isn't wiping the cache and researching media.

Even when I go into all these apps (sms included) and clear cache and clear data, they still come back with the old directories, that appear and act normal, despite not existing, and my new directories I created in downloads don't show.

How can I clear and rescan files/folders?

<sigh>.. Nice phone, but god damn it's a pain in the ass to use on a deep level.

2. 1,283
    Artlover

Property Maintenance
    Update for #2:

After finally finding the media storage service, I was able to clear it's cache and data. That fixed the problem with directories.

Issue #1, sms messages not copying is still open if anyone can give me some ideas.

3. 1,283
    Artlover

Property Maintenance
    Another update....

So after dozens of different apps; I discovered that "SMS Backup Print and Restore" was actually able to see these messages. It only allows for 6 messages with the free version. So I selected just two. Made the backup. Restored it on the other phone. 0 messages restored, 0 duplicates, 2 errors. Don't know what the errors are because it doesn't say. I made another backup of 2 messages that do copy. This time, 0 messages restored, 2 duplicates, 0 errors.

So, despite being able to see and access the messages in question, even this app is unable to move them.

So data corruption somewhere is evident.

What to do about it is the still pending question.