hit tracker

Play! is a PlayStation 2 emulator for Android

Discussion in 'Mobile Jailbreak Scene' started by GaryOPA, Jul 6, 2015.

By GaryOPA on Jul 6, 2015 at 12:17 AM
  1. 25,746
    GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
    Design Eng.
    Home Page:
    http://www.O-P-A.biz
    Want to play Final Fantasy X or Gradius V on your Android tablet?

There’s a PlayStation 2 emulator that’ll let you do just that… as long as you don’t mind reeeaallly slow frame rates.

[​IMG]

Sold your PlayStation 2 console, and missing it now, and want to relive the glory of the PS2 gaming era, well you soon might be able to do so on your high-end powerful 8-Core Android Tablet, all tho right now Play! is in very early beta stage and only 2 frames per second.

So what you think, well we someday be able to enjoy all of our retro PS2 games on the Android, or is it too much a pipe-dream?

NEWS SOURCE #1: Play! is a PlayStation 2 emulator for Android (via) Liliputing
    NEWS SOURCE #2: Beta Community (via) Play!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2016

Comments

Discussion in 'Mobile Jailbreak Scene' started by GaryOPA, Jul 6, 2015.

1. 1,808
      Ichijoe

Ichijoe Loyal Member

I wonder if this isn't based on S0NY's own PS3 netemu? Well if someone has already managed to pull this much of it off... I guess the rest of its just more or less down to refining the code a bit more. But, to even get the PS2 working on an ARM SoC to begin with seems to me very impressive indeed. Where as the XBOX was little more then a 733Mz Celeron CPU, with 64MB or RAM, running a form of Windows CE. And where's the Emu for that?!

NOWHERE! That's where! At least I can't recall ever reading, or hearing about a even the most half-assed job such as the above Emu for the PS2...

2. 25,746
      GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
      Design Eng.
      Home Page:
      http://www.O-P-A.biz
      Yep, no place at all.

It is sad, even the official Microsoft XBOX emulator for the Xbox 360, never been ripped apart, more titles added removing the whitelist like on the PS3, or porting the code over to another platform.

3. 65
      Agret

Agret Loyal Member

Student
      Home Page:
      http://www.teamqqp.com/
      Not much point in pulling apart the emulator for the XBOX 360 as the 360 is PowerPC hardware and the code would be incompatible with any consumer PCs except insanely old Macs.

4. 26,553
      Xenogears V

Xenogears V Senior Helper Clean-Up Crew

Emulation seems a sh*t.

5. 1,808
      Ichijoe

Ichijoe Loyal Member

Well lets assume.. If only for a moment, that this PS2 Emu was in some small way related to S0NYs ps2_softemu.self (CECH-C & E ONLY!), or the more universal ps2_netemu.self.... Where if anywhere would you have expected those to be running "native"?! The last time I checked the Cell Processor was also little more then an IBM Power PC itself. Code is Code, and it if you can bring yourself to actually understand it... Then its hardly the epic challenge to borrow those same "ideas", and transplant such on a ARM SoC.

Which is to me... THE MOST IMPRESSIVE ASPECT OF THE STORY HERE! As great as ARM SoC are... They pale in comparison to full on CPUs from AMD, or Intel The fact that (As far as I know...) This team managed to get this working on ARM (Android). Is in my honest opinion, even more impressive achievement then Beem! was back in the late 90s.