hit tracker

PlayStation 3 - 'The Final Hack'?

Discussion in 'Underground PlayStation Scene' started by GaryOPA, Oct 27, 2012.

By GaryOPA on Oct 27, 2012 at 1:34 AM
  1. 25,323
    GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
    Design Eng.
    Home Page:
    http://www.O-P-A.biz
    PS3 LV0 Keys leak explained by scene devs

[​IMG]

Media and News sites are reporting that the PS3 LV0 leak/hack may be the 'One That Sony Can’t Stop'. Meanwhile, Scene devs explain it so you can understand the true significance of all this.

We all know about the recent PS3 LV0 Keys leak, and that thanks to it we are already starting to see new CFW based on 4.21 (and probably beyond).

News sites around the world, including the BBC, Digital Foundry/Eurogamer and Kotaku already reported on this, and are calling it "The Final Hack": something that Sony can’t block anymore! From Eurogamer:

But now, how about an explanation by Scene Developers themselves?

Marcan (Fail0verflow) and Wololo have shared more info and a great Q&A so you can understand the true significance of all this.

From Marcan (Team Fail0verflow):

From Wololo:

There you have it. Stay tuned for more scene news in relation to this massive leak/hack in the upcoming days!

* UPDATE:

Scene dev 'KaKaRoTo' has also shared more info regarding this leak in an interview via PlayStationLifeStyles.net:

You can read the full interview on this link.

NEWS SOURCE #1: lv0 keys leak explanied scene developers (via) PSX-Scene
    NEWS SOURCE #2: Digitalfoundry PS3 the final hack (via) EuroGamer

Our thanks to 'Gauss' for this news item!

Comments

Discussion in 'Underground PlayStation Scene' started by GaryOPA, Oct 27, 2012.

1. 28
      dignity67

dignity67 Loyal Member

Jobless!
      I can only guess there will be constant security updates making my ofw ps3 useless if they keep changing keys for gamesaves, playing blurays, and going on netflix. I dont play online so thats not an issue but installing a new fw every few weeks sounds like a pain in the ass lol.

Edit
      I might be full of shit but i thought i just saw a post on the front page saying Team E3 has a 4.30 cfw coming out soon. I could have sworn I replied to that post too. Maybe I've had too much to drink tonight?

2. 129
      brakk3n

brakk3n Loyal Member

KaKaRoTo's hybrid debate was the most interesting out of the three articles. I liked how he pointed out that the entitled-kids and their desire for piracy turned away developers which in all honesty does explain the lack of homebrew. These entitled goofs did more harm to the PS3 scene then any Dongle has done. Well, that's the way I see it. I however have to disagree with his and the groups reasoning who published the keys. For one it seems strange that there is this pattern of leakers (I don't think they leaked anything at all - aka these incidents have been staged to avoid Sony's bulleye). Also, these three geek-a-teers claimed they released they key to prevent piracy, but if they simply let BlueDisk charge for their firmware (did they even ever plan to charge for it to begin with??? All I saw were free copies after sending them things you should not be sending anyone). So say if they did have a secure delivery system and it cost money then there would be less pirating then them simply giving the solution to the entire world. Well, that's just how I see it. KaKaRoTo for the most part was spot on and did a good job. Not that my opinion matters or anything ...

3. 13
      bluntman420

bluntman420 Loyal Member

I agree with you!

4. 69
      lurkandlearn

lurkandlearn Loyal Member

Megacorp gangsters and their minions are worse than any pirates, including Somalian ones, IMO.

5. 156
      the-green

the-green Loyal Member

Thanks GaryOPA for this news, I had one "big" small question, with all the new leaks/exploits/hacks, is there any chance that some one could calculate the 3.6+ PUP private keys ??!!
      I guess the answer is no, am I wrong ?

6. 129
      brakk3n

brakk3n Loyal Member

Some say yes some say no. I find these developments interesting, but the other 99% of people without CFW want to know what you're asking. CFW users are a small minority - I hope that can change.

7. 561
      AlbedoAtoned

AlbedoAtoned Loyal Member

Actually there was several cases where the developers themselves were pirating and then bragging about it. And they also scammed the scene which is far worse than piracy by any measure. All of the anti-piracy arguments have fallen flat on their faces. The real issue of developers turning away from this scene is more complicated. There were some that got turned away from all the drama. They saw that helping the scene only hurt them in the long run when the scene would crucify them. And yeah it was wrong for the scene to act that way, but for the most part it was a reaction to how the rest of the developers treated them. Most of the developers left because they couldn't scam the scene anymore for cash and fame anymore. Their schemes were revealed and they abandoned the scene to go laugh on irc about how they were the only ones that could pirate. Some future scene devs saw that they just couldn't get rich anymore and stood away with no work to show for it. Others that had work decided to sell it. Of course they were bound to be hated, that is understandable (though I disagree with the reasons). The real problem is when somebody wanted to help they would be shot down, their biggest critics being the elites. They would receive no help in their desire to further the scene and would just end up mocked by all with the elites throwing all the tomatoes. I wouldn't be surprised if a few of them didn't show up around now to take the credit for all of the progress. Like "I withheld all of this info and now I want credit for finding it first". One of the things I learned over the almost two years was that OtherOS was pretext. It was their excuse and the only way they could stay on their high horse since it was "For teh LINUX". I'm not saying people didn't get any use out of OtherOS and I'm not saying OtherOS wasn't desired by them, just that the only one that genuinely cared mainly for OtherOS was Graf. To the rest, it was a side effect, something they could take advantage of, but not their main concern. It's also why they were so concerned with DEX and it was eventually proven that the main thing DEX was good for was piracy, that it didn't provide anything new for homebrew.

As for the elites, forget them. They chose to leave when people stopped fueling their ego and wallets with nothing to show for it. There are more than enough devs still in this scene that deserve far more than just a commendation for their effort and patience so let's stop worrying about what could have been in regards to developers just trying to increase their e-penis and wallets with false promises.

8. 1,327
      rednekcowboy

rednekcowboy Developer

Meh, the "entitiled goofs" take the lead from the devs at the top. It's a trickle down effect. The end-user holds no power whatsoever, it's the people with the knowledge and the power that dictate the reactions and attitudes in the "scene." The more people with the knowledge and the power, the better it is for the scene. I don't need to prove this as there are examples of it in every other scene except this one. All people want is the opportunity to be a part of it so that they can help and contribute in any way they can.

There are exceptions to this of course with people wanting nothing more than being leeches, but that is not the majority, that is the minority. When you look on this site, for example, the biggest whining and complaining comes from those with 1 or two posts. While everyone wants to shut them out, in doing so, you hurt everyone, ie punishing the majority for the sake of a few.

I, for one, am glad this leak occurred. Now, hopefully, the PS3 scene can finally build as a community, with everyone chipping in what they can be it testers, or helping others along or the more talented writing homebrew, etc for all of us to enjoy.

Another way to look at this--if everyone has the info, it makes it way more difficult for $ony to pinpoint people to go after. Even they can't sue the whole world. The reason why they were successful the last time is cause they found a scapegoat and set an example, however it makes it much more difficult when thousands are the cause vs a few.

9. 548
      sabin1981

sabin1981 Agent Sparrow Loyal Member

Home Page:
      http://www.nfohump.com/forum/index.php
      Ell oh ell at hypocritical anti-piracy rants. Please, continue, I find them nourishing.

10. 25
      abdelmajidtolba

abdelmajidtolba Loyal Member

I'm no Dev but i call BS!
      how many times have we heard this sentence?
      Sir wololo:this is Ps3 not PSP were CFW follows OFW.
      At the same time i think he's right for one reason: Ps3 is oin the end her cycle so Sony will not bother secure her like before...

11. 86
      Twinaphex

Twinaphex Loyal Member

I'm impressed - almost a complete 360 reversal of your previous stance. Previously you wanted a firmware 'just for backups' (ODD) - and how the 'homebrew' on PS3 was no good - and now it's the same familiar song and dance again about that pesky 'piracy'. Please - this entire 'scene' needs to shut the fuck up - fucking grandstanding in the 'press' and their 'anti-piracy spiel' - https://twitter.com/lantus360/status/261656208409239552 End of the fucking story. I don't want to hear anymore fucking bullshit - the blowhards in this 'scene' remind me of the bullshit politicians in Holland that cry about 'criminals' all day long - meanwhile they are the biggest POS criminals around.

12. 0
      dangwoot

dangwoot Guest

lol nice ousting there haha.

13. 129
      brakk3n

brakk3n Loyal Member

I never stated there was no good homebrew for the PS3 - your emulator compilation is top notch, Showtime is great and mM is groovy. So while there might be a few good homebrew out there when you contrast that to any other homebrew abundant scene you'll see a great deficiency in the amount of homebrew for the PS3 - Instead everyone wants backups to work (which I do not have a problem with - if they are going to pirate there is nothing I could say, think or do to stop it - that's if I cared if JonnyQ pirated).

Things have changed and that includes my reasoning for your so called "360". Am I not allowed to change my mind due to external factors?I would still like to have my games on a medium other then BD, due to my previously mentioned reason of the drive is dying; however with Sony's cheap $75 fix (which I recently found when I called them) I don't see any reason to compromise my system with CFW which would require purchasing hardware and downgrading and either losing functionality via CFW or voiding my warranty via the ODD. I've got 6 games and some DLC so since it's so cheap to fix I see no reason to waste money on the per-mentioned solutions.

You also want to control the actions of others and seem to want to dictate to me on things when you don't know me which is apparent with your lack of knowledge of why I did your mentioned "360". However, as I am a fan of all scenes I would still like to see the PS3 blasted wide open including CFW that can be signed to install on any OFW. I just don't want it for me personally, but to jump-start this stagnant scene where judgmental arrogant self-righteous people like yourself like to attack others and this time my friend you're wrong. Maybe if the 99% start to migrate to CFW then you can go back to coding and stop dictating to others.

I feel sorry for you.

14. 130
      cerebr_al

cerebr_al Loyal Member

@Gemma Arden well noted lol!

15. 86
      Twinaphex

Twinaphex Loyal Member

LOL - this coming from the same guy that was busy earlier in this thread deriding the 'entitled scum users', now describing the person that has put out everything for free and has provided to 5-6-7 different 'scenes' at the same time an 'judgmental arrogant self-righteous person' that wants to 'dictate to others'.

If I could dictate one thing - I would do this right now - stay off those mushrooms you spend so much coins on and try to actually make sense in front of the computer instead of 'zoning out' and writing some gibberish that looks like the writings of an unhinged mind. I'm living here in the fucking drug capital of the world now do mind, but just a little bit of advice - you want your mind to function, not for you to start seeing elephants and shit flying by and for you to go sky-diving off the Brooklyn Bridge.

Oh, so the one deriding others for 'dictating what others should do' is doing a little bit of 'dictating' himself I see. Bit of self-projection there to go along with the cognitive disfunctions. My kind of guy.

16. 28
      dignity67

dignity67 Loyal Member

Jobless!
      I was drunk last night....

Check front page now!

17. 129
      brakk3n

brakk3n Loyal Member

Yeah, that's about right. In this case I quoted what you said in which your reply to my post was dictating to others. I never mentioned the past or what you've done or released, but was replying to that post. When someone quotes and replies to that quote they are generally not speaking about what was not quoted. At least I think that's why a quote feature exists - to reply to what the OP said. In this case you were telling the entire scene to shut up and I won't shut up. Also, using your past actions to somehow justify your previous dictating comments might fool some, but I'm not that foolish.

I don't spend any money on shrooms' nor I do drink beer or do any type of illegal drug. My signature was influenced by Break's Great Sci-Fi rap video. It's a reference to Mario and has nothing to do with drugs. It actually means I spend a lot of money, but not on any particular thing. Of course, I don't, but I like the Video and Signature anyway -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKFW6QeGvns - It's an awesome video with stars from many Sci-Fi shows.

18. 28
      dignity67

dignity67 Loyal Member

Jobless!
      Twinaphex....

If I remember right you were once called squarepusher2?....

If you are thanks for the snes emulator bro!

19. 86
      Twinaphex

Twinaphex Loyal Member

So what part of your presumably 'developed brain' doesn't get that when I link to a post where the hypocrisy and 'piracy ways' of at least one major prominent 'dev' is exposed, that means I am telling you to 'shut the fuck up' (actually, I am doing exactly that if you're another one of these 'self-hating pirates' that wants to talk about how bad piracy is - but regardless). I think you have a few screws loose if you think I'm the 'Grand Dictator' in this scene - but whatever - I have Roman blood flowing through these veins, so perhaps I'm a born-again Caesar. I'll consider it a compliment at least - Arch of Ceasar has a nice ring to it.
      You remind me of Mel Gibson from Braveheart now. Probably looked too deep in the glass.
      Yes, you're the grand genius that coded up a wallpaper for a Wii N64 emu, and was a moderator for some low-bit console scene forums. I guess I should bow down now before your Holiness.
      Good for you - you're into mindless consumerism just like all the stooge journalists in this wonderful 'games industry' where people like you train themselves to be good little self-hating pirates. Do you want a Congressional Medal of Honor for that, or should we leave it at a Disability Pension?