hit tracker

PS2 max hard drive size?

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 2 and PS-One Discussion' started by polaris71, Apr 14, 2014.

1. 3
    polaris71

polaris71 Loyal Member

heyo,

can anyone here tell me what the max addressable size for ps2 internal HD is via OPL? also, same limit for IDE vs. SATA? my modded network adapter has SATA interface.

danke

2. 561
    AlbedoAtoned

AlbedoAtoned Loyal Member

Okay, from what I have seen is that 1TB seems to be the max. Maybe not the theoretical max, but imo the safest max with little to no problems. Some people have said they got 1.5 TB drives to work, but as the thread I will link at the bottom says, there are inherent limitations in the ps2 system, and imo you are opening yourself to possible problems in the future if you go higher than 1 TB.

A word of warning. There seems to be some kind of problem with winhiip when it reaches 256 games. If you use HDLoader to load write the rest you're okay. I also saw this on that thread I will link below so I haven't experienced it first hand.

Personally I have a 320 GB drive, and while it's served me well, I am starting to run out of space, but I don't see myself needing more than a TB for it. Or I may just use smb if I can get my ps2 connected to my router.

http://ps2drives.x-pec.com/?p=list This isn't the thread, it is a list of compatible and noncompatible hdds. Be careful what hard drive you buy as some don't work for one reason or another with the ps2.Even with the list, the one I bought a few years back eventually fit, but when I got it, the the data pins and the power pins were too close and the adapter pins were too far away to reach and there was a bit of plastic that was in the way on the hdd separating the groups. So I had to shave the plastic on the on the adapter though not much and I had to break the plastic wall that separated the power and data pins. Now the connecters fit just fine, but I thought I'd warn you. It was a maxtor brand hdd.

3. 3
    polaris71

polaris71 Loyal Member

Albedo,

Thanks very much for link and info!

1TB is what i have available and i think that will be my practical maximum. really hard to imagine needing more. especially since i've had decent luck in the past streaming from my NAS across the LAN. just want to use internal as much as possible cuz skipping FMV drives me a little crazy.

thanks for pointing out the pin thing, too. from what i've heard, western digital seems to be the brand ppl struggle with the most. i think their connectors are a little bit different and thus problematic.

cheers!