hit tracker

PS3 Modding questions - Phat model - just wanna play ps2 backups

Discussion in 'PS3 Hardware Repairs & Problems' started by darkdreamr, Mar 30, 2016.

1. 89
    darkdreamr

darkdreamr Loyal Member

Hey guys, so i got a hold of a ps3 Phat model (CBEH1000 - 4usb) backwards compatible.

I bought it because i saw a mod in the front which had a cord sticking out and plugged into a USB.
    I was hoping it was modded somehow to do backups or play backups. as far as i can see thou the USB
    only seems to run a fan? when i unplug the usb a fan on the inside turns off.

Its running firmware 4.75

So just a few questions.

the main reason i wanted this was to play my backup ps2 games
    from the research ive been able to do, it seems the only way to get on firmware is to downgrade which seems to be a
    pain in the ass..

I remembered there was a swap switch method that you could install that allows you to manually swap the disc inside
    in order to play PS2 games but i have not been able to find a tutorial or info if it would still work on a system with my current 4.75 OFW

can someone point me to a tutorial and information if this will still work?
    or is there another method that i can use to play ps2 backups on my 4.75 OFW system?

please let me know. thank you

2. 339
    amp2006

amp2006 Staff Member Clean-Up Crew

fighting ISIS alongside with Peshmerge
    Home Page:
    http://www.maxconsole.com
    well you should first be in CFW in order to play backups like PS2,PS3,PSP, Games etc .

to do that you have to downgrade your console( via hardware pieace like Progskeet or Teensy++ or whatever method it reequire wiring skils for slodering) first to 3.55 or lower

and dehash it then you can install any CFW you want .

3. 89
    darkdreamr

darkdreamr Loyal Member

swap switch mod doesnt require any custom firmware. it was a hardware exploit that was discovered shortly after the ps3
    released, it allows a person to hardwire a switch to the ps3 disc motor and manually eject the disc without the playstation
    knowing.

this method was only good for ps1 and ps2 games thou (which is what i want it for) and only good with backwards
    compatible ps3 machines. i see tutorials for it but most of them the images are gone.

i am relatively sure that the firmware doesnt matter for this one since ive seen videos as recent as 2014 displaying it
    working. but i dont have a good simple tutorial to guide me.

i was hoping someone here would remember and help me with it.

4. 436
    Jock O'Strap

Jock O'Strap Loyal Member

5. 89
    darkdreamr

darkdreamr Loyal Member