hit tracker

PS3 Optical Output

Discussion in 'PS3 Hardware Repairs & Problems' started by Captin, Jul 29, 2011.

1. 23
    Captin

Captin Loyal Member

Hi,

I decided to move my PS3, it was getting too hot where it was. So In it's original position, about 10cm from the amp I had a short optical cable for the sound (the amp has no HDMI ports) and it was working fine.

In it's new position it's around 3m from the amp and I have used a long optical cable but get no sound. I havent changed any setting on ether the PS3 or amp.

I'm pretty sure the optical cable is ok, the opposite end shines red with the other end plugged into the PS3.

Could the PS3 have a weak optical out, so it's enough for a 1m cable but not 3m.

Is it worth getting an opticle cable booster, seen them on amazon, they say they can boost upto 20m, or just getting another cable.

Is there any other options, like optical to coaxial?

Thanks.

2. 50
    WhyAye

WhyAye Loyal Member

3. 23
    Captin

Captin Loyal Member

Thanks for the reply.

I'm in the UK but they have them on Amazon here too. The optical to coaxial converter is the same make and price of the optical amplifier, which do you think would be best?

4. 50
    WhyAye

WhyAye Loyal Member

I would go for the converter since it gives you more options to try. With the range extender you still limited to optical cables.

5. 23
    Captin

Captin Loyal Member

True, if I got the amplifier then found out my cable was crap I'd have to buy a new cable too. At least with the converter I already have quite a few phono cables knocking around.

Thanks again.

6. 0
    JLM

JLM Guest

Hope you don't mind me saying that if you really want to be thorough you would move it back and try the short cable again. Probably a waste of time, but if you want to be extra sure before ordering any new equipment. I assume you don't have anything else to try the longer cable or you would have. Good luck.

7. 23
    Captin

Captin Loyal Member

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm ahead of you there. :)

This is the second PS3 I've had, the first one was replaced under warranty because the optical port failed so I wanted to make sure this had not happened again.