hit tracker

PS4: The Last of the Game Consoles?

Discussion in 'PlayStation Gaming News' started by GaryOPA, Feb 24, 2013.

By GaryOPA on Feb 24, 2013 at 3:20 AM
  1. 25,237
    GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
    Design Eng.
    Home Page:
    http://www.O-P-A.biz
    An article by Wired.

Wired: 'Sony is attempting to define itself as the anti-Xbox. If that won't work, the game console for gaming gamers is done.'

[​IMG]

On Wednesday, Sony announced its new upcoming PlayStation 4.

At the long two-hour event in NYC attended by over 1,000 journalists and fans, the company spent the time talking up its philosophy behind the system and reiterated that it was for 'true gamers': sick new graphics, ungodly amounts of RAM and cool new gaming-centric features like the ability to stream gameplay videos in real time.

However, according to Wired, there’s an excellent chance the PS4 will be the last videogame console ever (at least as we understand the term).

Here are some extracts from the article:

So, what do you think? You can read the full article below!

NEWS SOURCE: PS4 Analysis (via) Wired

Our thanks to 'Gauss' for this news item!

Comments

Discussion in 'PlayStation Gaming News' started by GaryOPA, Feb 24, 2013.

1. 102
      somenutter

somenutter Loyal Member

''Microsoft doesn’t have an Uncharted, a Heavy Rain, a Journey or an Infamous''

I don't think those games are reason enough to make people choose PS4 Or not , If thats what they are relying on on , God help them, They are going to need an awful lot more than that.

You never know , Maybe the next Gran Turismo wont take 40 years to produce or suck monkey nuts when it ships , Games like that might help.

2. 16
      mattachu

mattachu Loyal Member

uncharted = winner

3. 62
      medi01

medi01 Loyal Member

I think somebody just had an intensive Microsoft butt kissing session.
      PS3 was a better quality piece of hardware than xbox360 and this is hardly going to change with PS4 vs xbox720.

Oh, and PSN is free, thanks for 2 year subscription plan. (this might change to microsoft style though =/)

Sony is opting for more expensive and faster memory than Microsoft and AMDs APU benefit A LOT from it, so Sony's console is also going to be faster.
      Sony has announced hard to implement features to be built in.

Now, consuming some video service (doesn't PS3 already support amazon video? I saw the icon but never used it) is a piece of cake. "OMG controlling video provider", since when does XBox support DVB-C pretty please? Is it about video streaming only? That's oh so 2005...

4. 21
      kratosgow

kratosgow Loyal Member

I think all people in Wired are Xbox fanboy.

5. 102
      somenutter

somenutter Loyal Member

Its true they are using fast memory , But we don't know for sure if Microsoft is using slower ddr3 ram or not, Its only rumors we have heard , Ive also heard a rumor Microsoft is putting a dedicated GPU Into the console along with the APU They already have, So don't count all our chickens just yet.

6. 415
      2die4

2die4 Loyal Member

wired just doing some junk journalism to get hits / thread

7. 62
      medi01

medi01 Loyal Member

It's leaks not rumors and the guy who leaked it was raided by police.
      While Microsoft might bump memory, dedicated GPU on top of AMDs APU makes so little sense:
      1) much more expensive
      2) nearly doubles power consumption => problems with cooling
      3) cross-platform games (which are what, 99.9%?) could benefit from slightly more power (say better anti-aliasing, anysotropic filtering) but could hardly put twice as powerful GPU to a good use (lots of effort for only half of the market)

8. 384
      mschumacher69

mschumacher69 Loyal Member

I don't think that's what Sony means by "We’re focusing on that core gamer... If you’re not a gamer, I don’t think you get it" and by "War against Reality".

I think what they mean by "not gamer" is hacker and what they mean by "Reality" is Piracy. In other words, they are saying the PS4 is just for gamers not for hackers (to install linux, homebrew and such) and with it they are fighting agains Piracy and to win, they don't need to fight (as they were fighting with the PS3 scene), they need to Play.

Afterall, the PS3 being completely hacked was the main reason they pushed the release of the PS4, you can see they stopped the fight against the scene because they haven't released a new FW in a long time now, so they are saying we're not going to fight anymore, we're going to leave the PS3 for hackers and release the PS4 for gamers.

That's how I see it.

9. 561
      AlbedoAtoned

AlbedoAtoned Loyal Member

If true, that probably won't work then. Piracy will always occur. Sooner or later ps4 will be hacked. I will say they are actually shooting themselves in the foot if they start removing features like they did with ps3. And also if they lack features people like, then hackers will have more incentive. Hackers and the homebrew scene will want their machine to do more (including playing backups), and pirates will want their machine to play pirated games as well. Locking down the system, only ensures that the chains will be broken sooner.

@Medi01 Power is not everything. The ps1 beat out it's competition, even though it was weaker. And the ps2 beat all others as well, even though it was the weakest. Going by install base for hardcore gamers, then the 360 won last gen and it was weaker than ps3, but in terms of pure sales, then wii was the winner, and it was the weakest of all three. Furthermore. The ps3, overall was a better system, but it still lagged in certain areas compared to it's competition. The gpu was poorer, and it was harder to develop games for. Many developers ended up developing for the 360 and porting to the ps3 which usually resulted in the 360 version looking better, even though the ps3 version, if worked hard enough on could have been the superior product.

I think this coming gen will be between Sony and Nintendo, as well as any newcomers. Microsoft has shot themselves in the foot by fighting against gamers who buy used games, aka, practically most gamers. And stores really have few incentives to stock their games since they only get a small bit of profit from new sales. As to who wins, I don't put my money on graphics. I put it on games, bc, and features.

10. 780
      xPreatorianx

xPreatorianx Loyal Member

Home Page:
      http://deviant-generation.com/
      I hope this is not directed to anyone on this forum. Why? Because quite frankly I'm tired of the word "fanboy." BOTH SYSTEMS HAVE THEIR MERITS! To be quite honest ANY GAMER who can honestly only back one platform as a "fanboy" shouldn't even have the right LET ALONE privledge to call him/her self a hardcore gamer. Hell a gamer period. Gamers don't give a crap what system they play on. As the word suggests, they are in it for the GAMES. Not the SYSTEM.

Also PSN = free doesn't mean it's better. Not by a long shot. Factually speaking the 360 has a more solid network behind it. Even on my fiber connection Live is a lot more stable. Plus a lot easier to use with match making, communciation, and social networking.

As for the 360 VS PS3. Both were damn good systems. Yes the 360 had the RROD. But the PS3 has it's fair share of problems with the YLOD. The reason why it was more prominent on the 360 is down to stupid ass design on a simple but critical component. The heatsink clamps. MS decided to be "fancy" without taking the actual "mechanics" of the system into consideration.

I can go on and on. Both systems have their uses, weaknesses, and strenghts. Both on the hardware and software side. The same will be said for the PS4 and 720. As far as RAM goes - the damn buzz words being used on the PS4's RAM is really irritating me. WOW so it has...what 8GB of ram? WOW!!! You know how long that's been in PC's? Standard maximum limit is becoming 64GB for PC's now. 32GB is considered an "old school" threshold already. 8GB and 16GB for a build is typical. Especially considering RAM prices are actually getting cheaper. And that's a "user limit" not a design one.

PS: Before anyone throws up how fast the PS4's ram is. That doesn't matter when another system beats it at capacity. Plus the fact that PC ram is easily upgradeable in both speed AND capacity.

11. 1,232
      Misfit

Misfit Loyal Member

I still see both Sony and Microsoft as new in the scene for gamers, neither companies opinion holds much ground for me.

Call me old :)