hit tracker

PS4 users suffering from display issues

Discussion in 'PlayStation Gaming News' started by GaryOPA, Feb 4, 2014.

By GaryOPA on Feb 4, 2014 at 7:29 PM
  1. 25,649
    GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
    Design Eng.
    Home Page:
    http://www.O-P-A.biz
    Odd grid-like display appearing on-screen?

Some PlayStation 4 users are suffering a strange issue: odd grid-like display appearing on-screen. The HDMI cable isn't the problem...

[​IMG]

Some PS4 users are reporting a pretty strange issue that results in no audio, their controller not working and an odd grid-like display appearing on-screen (just like on the pic above).

Apparently, the HDMI port/cable isn't the problem this time, with some suggesting the console's GPU as the culprit...

Some more shots of the problem:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, have you experienced anything like that?

NEWS SOURCE #1: PS4 users suffering from a strange issue odd grid like display appearing on screen (via) GamingBolt
    NEWS SOURCE #2: Help Bleep is wrong with my PS4 Quarter of the screen goes blue (via) US Playstation Community

Our thanks to 'Gauss' for this news item!

Comments

Discussion in 'PlayStation Gaming News' started by GaryOPA, Feb 4, 2014.

1. 25,649
      GaryOPA

Media:
      Design Eng.
      Home Page:
      Not a good sign, reminds me of some of issues I saw when repairing PS3 systems before they got the famous YLOD.

This time around it looks like the very hot very fast DDR5 RAM is developing some hair-line solder-ball cracks either on the RAM itself or on the Graphics Interface Bus side of the GPU itself.

Not good for Sony if this turns out to be the case, it could end being a nightmare like the 360 RROD..

Good thing there is a Model B of PS4 motherboard already in production and in some stores soon! :)

2. 784
      Captain N1

Captain N1 Loyal Member

um yeah, that's the GPU artifacting. Bad Video ram can cause that but its usually a sign that the GPU is failing.
      Its not good anyway you look at it. i wonder if its a overheating issue or just a defect. If it affects alot of ps4s then it aint gonna be good for sony. better hope its not a design flaw or a huge batch of defective GPUs/VRAM

3. 647
      LordX

LordX Loyal Member

You have any more info about Model B ? 2001 ?

4. 73
      brickcitybg

brickcitybg Loyal Member

That's kind of weird that all the artifacts (at least in the games) look exactly the same. I really hope this isn't a RRoD or YLoD issue. As much as I've seen these things happen with game consoles and laptops, it really wouldn't surprise me.

5. 25,649
      GaryOPA

Media:
      Design Eng.
      Home Page:
      Not sure yet of how to tell on the outside, ie like sku or dates.

But inside is not much changed, mainly cooling and power reg. placement changes, with small downscale on the power supply current rails, and some plastic mouling changes to allow for better airflow, might be that Sony already noticed these 'GPU artifacting' and taken steps to reduce the causes, hopefully that is it, and people will be able to get their defective models replaced before the warranty runs out and this does not turn into a nightmare like the early 360 ring of death machines at launch.

6. 13,435
      billysastard

billysastard MaxConsole Co-Admin Loyal Member

Home Page:
      http://www.maxconsole.com
      in many ways this looks like the same thing that happened with a few wii's when they were first launched, they had some of this graphical corruption caused by gpu issues.

7. 2,651
      kneehighspy

kneehighspy Loyal Member

Early Retirement, Relaxation
      definitely looks gpu related. perhaps this falls back to the earlier stories of the students that were hired (forced) to work at the factories that supposedly sabotaged motherboards during production. only issue with my ps4 is the system fan is slightly rubbing something and making a low clicking sound, been doing it since day 1 but the fan is working fine and the system is cooling.

i would fix it but i dont wanna screw up my warranty in case something such as this thread happens, i can live with it. has anyone purchased the additional warranty for their ps4 that is offered on sen? i was thinking about purchasing the extended warranty that includes everything including user accidents.

8. 1,626
      Nocuddle

Nocuddle Loyal Member

s0ny's credit rating downgraded to junk status. Then I'm guessing their product PS4 is going to the same direction...