hit tracker

PSJailbreak is a good thing thing for Sony, will sell more PS3's retailer tells BBC

Discussion in 'Archived General Gaming News' started by Zeus, Aug 20, 2010.

1. 31
    knocturnal81

knocturnal81 Loyal Member

i smell a geohot rat in all this,anything that has the word "jailbreak" in it has got to b to do with him

2. 127
    demologik

demologik Loyal Member

Personally, I would use this solely for the ability to have all my games on demand without having to get up and switch discs if I want to change games. Also it would be cool to get a custom firmware and cstomize evey aspect of the xmb. This could potentially add functionalty to the ps3 as well. I will continue buying my games.

3. 725
    Tsujin

Tsujin Loyal Member

Alternatively, that's what the real makers called it to take the heat off them.

4. 7,336
    ThreeDog

ThreeDog Loyal Member

I am not saying i will not use this for evil i can not predict that, i do buy some games i regret later and there are less demos around on the PS3.

But when it comes down to it i will keep buying as well.

5. 6,064
    saleem

saleem Loyal Member

they earn money on sales of software (games) also as well as consoles

at the end of the day sony have taken a hard line where piracy is concerned,if they just get a whisper about it and a door is opened to pirates they shut it down pretty fast.

the product they got here is being marketted agressively,ie:its all over this site front page for sure.i would think sony will stop installs to the hdd with software update and then this product will be out of window unless it can do it to an external harddrive the only prob there is that a custom hdd has to be formatted to the console for it to work afaik.

i cant guarantee anything and i am sure that the people behind this cant too but,i think it might be useless in the future as the install feature might be removed and if you cant install the game to the hdd then you got a product that is useless.they just bring out a game with a mandatory update to get round people who dont want to take the update and stop them from using latest games by putting an upsate on it.
    :)

6. 725
    Tsujin

Tsujin Loyal Member

For me, it'll be a case of continue to buy, then install them to hard drive just for the sake of being able to take the ps3 with me places - i have a crapload of games now, but lugging 50+ games around feels rediculous, they take up more space than the console does.
    The idea of throwing a large drive in, backing up all my games then not having to mess around with disks sounds good to me.

I went out and bought a second ps3, specifically for that purpose - so my other ps3 can stay updated and run things legitimately.
    At least that way if it does get patched, i can at the very least leave the second console on the older firmware and keep the backlog of games.

My main "want" for this mod however, which is a hell of a lot more appealing to me than backing up my games, is homebrew, ps3mc would be lovely, as would emulators and so on.

My only hope is that people do not start releasing programs to cheat on games, while online, because that impacts the experience for everyone else, even those that don't want a part in the hacking of ps3's and just want to continue playing their console as normal.
    Cheaters in online games are absolutely retarded.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2010
  7. 224
    skreama

skreama Loyal Member

This may have come about due to his original works but this is not geohot as he is a glory hound and would be reaping all the fame and glory if it was

This is the best thing to happen to ps3, hopefully sony will patch firmware to stop the game copying, but then it will open up the hombrew community

8. 315
    sens8

sens8 Loyal Member

So in all honesty the ps3 didn't get hacked... it was leaked, because it was too much for anyone/group. I would not be too proud if hacking is your thing ;)

9. 5,961
    DEDDOA

DEDDOA Loyal Member

The translation of this is, "This is good for us as retailers as we will make money off selling consoles" as the truth is, Sony MS and Nintendo make their money off game sales thanks to getting a cut of each game sold from licencing, not consoles Sold, so less game sales is bad for them.

Of course short sighted retailers will think this is great as they will make a short term profit from consoles sold, tho i'm betting on average they make more money from games in the long run. so this comment is very short sighted.

10. 5,961
    DEDDOA

DEDDOA Loyal Member

I guess you must be enjoying that warm summer weather up there above the clouds on your high horse.

Sales trends decide what games are released and publishers not wanting to wait for long is the most common cause of crappy games, not piracy. I'd argue that the PC has some of the best games released over the past 15 years or so, and all that time the piracy rate has been appauling, so that kind of screws up your theory. there will always be good and bad games, just because you choose to only see the cup as half empty instead of half full doesn't change this. Piracy is not good but it's not the total disaster you claim, the 360, PC, Wi, DS, PS2, PS1 etc, all did well with high piracy.

Also don't forget a pirated game is not a lost sale. Only fools and sheep genuinely believe that. I could download a few hundred games this month, play maybe 1 or 2, yes i may have 100 but the only possible lost sales are 1 or 2. One of those games could be somthing I wasn't sure about, so would have given a miss, and it mayhave dlc that requires a legit copy so if it's a good game I may go buy it for the full package, so thats 1 gained sale that would have been a non sale.

So in future when you are on that high horse of yours, remember just because your arse is closer to the ground so nearer to people who may be listening, it's not what you should be using to talk out of, especially as it's further away from your brain than your mouth.

11. 5,961
    DEDDOA

DEDDOA Loyal Member

hit the nail on the head there, Homebrew is where the goodies are, JTAG 360 may be able to do the same stuff, and the wii may be easy to hack, but a PS3 like this would mean a console that can do HD and is easy to hack, so will hopefully get the support the 360 is lacking at the mo (tho fair do's it is only 12 months since the JTAG took off and the original xbox took a fair while to get all it's goodies as well).

XBMC and emulation station thats what i want, too many games ruins my enjoyment of them so I can do without pirated copies, but XBMC and th elike with emulators in one box is the golden goose as far as I am concerned.

12. 358
    mallinersha

mallinersha Loyal Member

This ^

I wonder if Mathieu Hervais still doubts the reality of the situation?

"Needless to say that if their so called usb dongle is real (which I doubt) it does extensive use of leaked sony's software and keys/certificates. "

13. 315
    sens8

sens8 Loyal Member

14. 7,336
    ThreeDog

ThreeDog Loyal Member

I hope that does happen. Sony is really poor at managing their network even with the current cheaters/glitchers. Maybe this would actually get them to deal with the problem rather than waiting for fixes that never arrive.

I am no fan of cheats but look at the situation.. there is no anti-cheat protection, there are no checks/balances and you have no power even if you're hosting.. its like primitive PC gaming with even less features.. that should mean that the provider steps in and deals with the problem.

I mean even with less control of your game with Modern Warfare 2 at least valve step in with VAC bans after a couple of weeks.

15. 385
    sped

sped Loyal Member

Well said :). Got to say ive got 2 360's, 1 for originals and online, and the other for backups. This said ive loads of backup games and hardly play em, play COD MW 2 online most of the time. Ive also a Hacked Wii with tones of backups....The only game at the moment on the Wii i play is final fantasy after years that i bought.

Never felt the need for a PS3 but if this jailbreak right and runs ok, Sony will get a sale from me. So the man from BBC is right on the nose.

16. 3,170
    kcvfr400

kcvfr400 Loyal Member

So what great homebrew have we ever had to get people excited. All I see on past consoles is emulation or piracy to give it its proper name. Would love to see some real homebrew but that is really unlikely.

I do feel for those who will end up collectors and not players as been there and done that and much prefer buying my games now when they get reduced.

And its a really naive excuse to say piracy isn't a lost sale as probably half the time at least it is. I used to often buy when reduced things I pirated but for eveyone like me doing that there is at least someone I know who will not but still played it fully so lost sale.

17. 315
    sens8

sens8 Loyal Member

Homebrew done right-> Cydia. Period.

18. 501
    Ligerbomb

Ligerbomb Loyal Member

Funny how this fits very well. MOVE is coming out as well as JAILBREAK, so I expect a ported PS3-Dolphin emulator before x-max ;)

19. 13,435
    billysastard

billysastard MaxConsole Co-Admin Loyal Member

Home Page:
    http://www.maxconsole.com
    how would they do it with move? i'd love to see it done but move just cant replicate all the features of the wii m+ and nunchuck, how would you open doors or throw grenades when the move doesnt have motion detect on its subcontroller or play games like silent hill that rely on giving audio cues from the internal speaker in the m+ remote?

20. 338
    akiraXTC

akiraXTC Loyal Member

Home Page:
    http://
    thats all just plain bullshit!!!
    shure they will sell more consoles than before, BUT:
    the problem is, they dont do any money with the consoles sold!!
    there are just no profit to be made with just selling consoles.
    ALL COMPANYS (ms, sony) are making money with the GAMES sold, NOT the consoles!!!! (the only exception here is nintendo....)
    so, shure they will sell more consoles, but they will make even less money becouse no one will buy the games, just copy them!!
    just bullshit, what you are writing here, maxconsole!

and before anyone else says otherwise, get some info before posting... i for myself am a retailer too, so i know what im talking about....!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2010