hit tracker

Purchased a buggy game? You're allowed a refund in the UK!

Discussion in 'Archived General Gaming News' started by billysastard, Dec 26, 2010.

1. 1,113
    beterweter

beterweter Loyal Member

ooh noooooooooo

you can't be serious...

shurely you can't be mad at sony for :

-taking away features
    -making crappy games
    -overhyping those crappy games
    -saying that it just does everything when it doesnt
    -building the biggest heaviest console ever
    -taking away backwards compatibility in the slim models
    -lame and slow firmware updates
    -slow games read speeds
    -needed hdd installs
    -expensive launch console
    -lets patch it up as we go attitude
    -very crappy mediaplayer
    -no descent in-game invite system
    -no personal musicplayer in-game

maybe we just have higher standards then the little sony sheep,cause its all in the details and the ease of use.

2. 749
    ok123

ok123 Loyal Member

That is true, but couldnt the stores just say "download the patch" then? :) I guess that it is possible to play the "i dont have internet" card.

Maybe these are good suggestions too?

- No way to pay for online play for those who want that (PSN+ isnt required to play online, so that doesnt count)

- Some PS3 games looks much better compared to other PS3 games. So the very good looking PS3 games might put the other not so good looking game a bit in the shadow when it comes to the visuals.

- Dropping the price on the PS3. The PS3 should have been $499 and $599 forever so that everyone had to pay the same.

- Standard color being black. Nothing against black, but what about those who wanted another color on their PS3?

- Using real currency in the store instead of points. I am not sure why this is a bad thing for everyone, but i am sure that we can find a reason.

- Having HDD as standard in every model. It doesnt matter that this might make things easier for the developers. What matters is; what about those who dont want a HDD in their PS3?

- Added free features has to be downloaded. Why cant Sony mail me a physical disc with the updates instead?

Maybe there is some more stuff i forgot to add, but are these suggestions any good or bad? Please give me some feedback on these things :)

And yes, i am sooo mad that Sony made the biggest and heaviest console ever! *shakes fist!"*:mad: (i think that the CD-i is bigger by the way, not sure about heavier though).

(And just in case there is any doubt, i am not angry over the weight of the PS3. Why is there anything negative about the PS3 (the Phat model) being heavy? :)).

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2010
  3. 8
    sheraz2

sheraz2 Loyal Member

games comes with bugs most get fixed by patches, if u were really anal about them then you should stop playing and return the defect product immediately.

4. 725
    Hamsterman-SWE

Hamsterman-SWE Loyal Member

there is nothing to be anal about when it comes when the games is unplayable because of the bugs. I can take some minor bugs or two but when the games crashing you have the feeling to been ripped off your money.

5. 511
    n0rthstar

n0rthstar Loyal Member

In an ideal world all games would come without bugs... it seems to be the norm nowadays because of the internet. I agree they shouldnt come with bugs, they didnt come with some of the glaring bugs back in the day, one could argue games were smaller back then, with less code. The general public are beta/bug testers now, when you find a bug you go to said forum, explain said bug, bug gets patched, along with a myriad of others, its absolutely ridiculous what game companies get away with... what if i didnt have the internet, what then? So yes, i agree, they should be held accountable for quality control, delay the game if they must. If everyone took the game back for a refund, they would HAVE to start making sure there were no nasty bugs, little ones here and there that go almost unnoticeable are forgivable.

Why are you all giving altar so much attention, the guy is obviously stupid, going by his grammar and ridiculous arguments. Not saying my grammar is perfect, before anyone picks out any faults :p but at least i can spell.

6. 165
    MongooseJesus

MongooseJesus Loyal Member

Student
    Home Page:
    http://dancarreras.tumblr.com
    Here's a reason for the real currency: the points can be found for cheaper then the actual price of the game, so having a fixed price in my opinion is a disadvantage over having to pay a definite £3.19 for costume quest DLC (or 400 points that with the current price of 2100 points being £15 the 400 points convert to: £2.85, Not a massive saving but better then actual prices :) )

and having to definitely buy things like the hard drive stops consumer choice. What if a family will never buy games online, why do they need that hard drive? It may be better for developers but if you didn't choose a slow disc format you wouldn't need to install things to the hard drive in the first place. It means consumers end up losing out because they have to spend more on the console because of poor corporate decisions.

With the PS3 everyone has lost out, Sony themselves have lost billions because of it, Developers lose out for every demo they put up and the porting + extra resources having to be used to program on the cell, and consumers lose out by losing rights, paying more and getting more glitchy games at the end product.

:cool:

7. 1,316
    GT-RRR

GT-RRR Loyal Member

Oh yes I'm so butt-hurt about a minimal-powered Linux space on my PS3, I couldn't give 2 shits, and to be honest most people who are trying to sue Sony are doing it because they feel like they deserve something for having something taken away which isn't even a big deal to them.

If anything you guys should be blaming EgoHot for making such a thing so bloody wide-spread and public!

Sony are within there rights anyway as it was a method to circumvent the PS3's Security, they also state that you can use the OtherOS feature on a lower firmware if all you're gonna do is cry about it, no-one forced you to update YOUR machine, it was YOU who pressed X and not Sony.

8. 749
    ok123

ok123 Loyal Member

If you can save money like that with a point system, that that is good indeed :) But with real prices you know exactly what you pay at least. And do you get the same savings if you buy a 800 MS Point card instead?

Regarding HDD, even the Wii and the Xbox 360 have "forced" internal storage. The only difference is that this stortage is much smaller, so the developers cant really use it for much in their games. And i dont think that HDD are that expencive that they pull up the PS3 price a lot.

Technically it isnt necessary to install games on the PS3 to have little loading times. Games like Uncharted 1 and 2 proved this. These two games doesnt require any install and they are some of the best looking console games on the market (well, Uncharted 1 was so at least back in 2007). Developers mostly use mandatory install to cut down on the loading since this is probably the easiest way, but technically this isnt the only way.

About developers losing out for every demo they put up, do you mean the fee they have to pay for each GB that is downloaded? If so, this costs money indeed, but i dont think that it is mandatory for the publishers to put out demos, i think that the publishers decide this for themself. Putting out demos might lead to more sales of their games, so it might be smart of them to put out demos.

And having 2 HD consoles on the market is good for the publishers. This way they could sell more games. If only the PS3 or the Xbox 360 excisted, obviously one of these consoles would have a bigger installbase, but would i.e the Xbox 360 have a userbase that was about 40 million units larger if the PS3 didnt excist? I dont know about that (impossible to know for sure though). But having 2 HD consoles out means that the publishers can reach more consumers at least :) What do you mean with "consumers lose out by losing rights"? And who pays more for what?

There is probably always possible to find some pros/cons for stuff like having a HDD in every system and using real currency instead of using a point system etc., but do you (or anyone else for that matter) hate Sony because every PS3 has a HDD and that PS Store uses real currency instead of a point system? That was my point, about hating Sony over these things. If you think that the PS3 is expencive etc. that is fine of course, but do you hate Sony because of it? If you do, ok, but i dont see why anyone would hate a company because of these things that i mentioned. Hating over the OtherOS situation, i can see the reason behind that, but hating Sony because of stuff like the PS3 is a heavy console? I dont see much reason behind that at least.

9. 2,358
    QrafTee

QrafTee Loyal Member

Man... Bethesda should look out. ;-)

10. 216
    jay123_2

jay123_2 Loyal Member

Is They Anything As a Complete Game Nowadays That Doesnt Need a Update
    Or Are We Just Buying BETA's And Wait For The Full Game To Arrive After They Fix The Problems Lol
    All I Can See Is Thats Its Not Sony Or Ms With Their Pants Around Their Ankles Taking It From Behind
    When Your At The Till Buying The Latest Unfinished Game
    ???????????????????????

11. 13,435
    billysastard

billysastard MaxConsole Co-Admin Loyal Member

Home Page:
    http://www.maxconsole.com
    i guess you never had a pioneer laseractive then, that thing could tip a dumptruck over

12. 749
    ok123

ok123 Loyal Member

Ah yes, that is a system that i keep forgetting about. I just checked up on it's size and i had no idea that it was so huge. That thing almost makes the PS3 Phat looks small lol :)

13. 13,435
    billysastard

Home Page:
    yeah, that was a big problem right from launch day ;)

14. 749
    ok123

ok123 Loyal Member

Lol, true :) Costing $970 at launch in 1993. Taking inflation into account, that is probably like twice as much as the PS3 costed at launch, if not more. Maybe i mixed up LaserActive with Halcyon, another laserdisc based system. I am not sure how it's size is compared to LaserActive though.

I kinda like expencive system like this that is noticeable ahead of the competition. Another example is the Neo Geo AES. It is just a pity that their pricetags are too high, so that the company doesnt really make that much money on these systems. I guess that we wont see such a system again for a quite a long time (except for the PC of course :)).

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2010
  15. 0
    cboushell

cboushell Guest

You argument holds no water, not every gay guy takes it in the back door just as some straight guys like to have their girlfriend use a strap on and put it in their pooper. So just because someone says you take it in the a$$ doesn't mean they are calling you a fag, you fag. Get over it. WAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!

16. 13,435
    billysastard

Home Page:
    yeah i had the neo too although i only had a few games because the prices for the games started really high and got worse, some of the later roms were selling (back then) at prices that nowadays you could buy all 3 home systems for combined, even the memory cards cost as much as a game for any other system, my only real gripe about it though was there wasnt a power light, i once paused mine to let a friend out and forgot it, when he returned a couple of weeks later and i switched the monitor over to the neo and there was our game, still paused, good job back in those days consoles were bulletproof.

17. 272
    bubbleboy

bubbleboy Loyal Member

Methinks the lady doth protest too much.

18. 749
    ok123

ok123 Loyal Member

You had a Neo Geo AES back in the days? That is cool :) Which games did you have? I couldnt afford one back in the days, but on the other hand i cant recall seeing one store that sold it where i live. I own a Neo Geo AES today though thanks to Ebay :D Such a great machine and i simply love the 2D graphics on it.

Haha, wow, lucky that consoles were very solid back in the days indeed :) I remember that a friend left his NES console on for a few days or so, but that isnt really much compared to serveral of weeks hehe.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2010
  19. 13,435
    billysastard

Home Page:
    i had nam 1975, blues journey, magician lord, baseball stars 1, sengoku, art of fighting, top players golf and some rally game (cant recall the name) generally they were all the early ones that sold for under £200 each, i also had one called superspy for a bit that that was just borrowed.

i did get a couple of the more expensive ones later (pre-owned) garou and sengoku 2 but whilst garou was some fun (it was a beat em up) only having one stick (they were bloody expensive too) spoilt it, sengoku 2 however was a real let down and i didnt find that anywhere near as much fun as the first one, that said the whole system was a bit of a novelty more than something i played on a lot, the snes and md (snes mostly) got most of the gaming, proving that back then as now gameplay is far more important than graphics because whilst looking really pretty the neo games were stupidly easy then later when it became nothing but a beat em up machine stupidly hard.

favourite games were sengoku (but you MUST play with a headset to hear stuff that simply doesnt come out of your speakers) and baseball stars professional.

here is a hint if you got / get sengoku, when on your last life of your last continue pause the game unplug your stick and plug into port 2, unpause and hit 1 and you enter as p2 with a full set of lives and continues ;) (p1 just gets killed off), thats how i finished it the first time.

i did say i've been gaming a long time, right back to pong and the fairchild system f (with its ever breaking controllers), in fact at almost 50 next gen will be the first time i havent bought every console available but for reasons covered so many times before, sony have seen their last penny from me.

thinking back if i remember the neo was £450, memory card was £55 and the games were (to start with) £199.99 then it was an extra £30 for a bloody scart (rgb) lead but games like garou were upto £400 on their own (new)

20. 749
    ok123

ok123 Loyal Member

billysastard: Cool! I have some of those games myself :) I have NAM 1975, Blues Journey, Magicial Lord, Art of Fighting and Sengoku. I might have Baseball Stars 1 as well, but i dont quite remember (i'm not at home right now, so i cant check). Out of these games i think i like NAM 1975 the best.

Ye, the Neo Geo does indeed have a lot of beat'em up games. I wish that there were a bit more variated games for it (some excist of course, but i wish there were more). And playing 2 player might be more fun especially in the beat'em up games, that is true :)

Hehe, that is a cool trick to do in Sengoku, thanks for the tip :) I guess that this game doesnt have unlimited contunies? It has been quite a while since i last played it.

It is crazy how expencive some of the games were, like about £400 for Garou new? Damn. Makes new games today look very cheap hehe.

Cool, do you still have all your systems from the earlier days? I still have my NES and PS1 with boxes and manuals.