hit tracker

Red light - faulty cart?

Discussion in 'Official 'Stargate 3DS' Support Forum' started by royster77, Jan 6, 2018.

1. 37
    royster77

royster77 Loyal Member

I got 2 carts last week, one for myself one for my partner as a slightly late christmas present. I've been struggling to get them to work, possibly a mix between the SD cards I'm using and the flash cart itself, I managed to get one working fine, but the same SD card in the other cart the DS starts with displaying the logo, purple light flashing on the card with a bit of green, then the red lights up and the DS says the card cannot be read. Is there anything I can try before attempting a return?

2. 9
    So.CALCat

So.CALCat Loyal Member

Once and a while I have a similar issue with my StarGate Card. I noticed that this only happens when I transfer more than 5 roms at once.

This is the way I go by correcting the issue on the StarGate Card & the Micro Card.

1. Insert the Micro Card into your PC then go ahead and overwrite the StarGate DS Menu System Files v1.1
    2. Insert the Micro Card back into your StarGate 3DS Card.
    3. Power on your DS before you insert the StarGate Card back into your DS
    4. Once your DS is on. Go ahead and make sure you push both white buttons that are on the StarGate Card as you go to insert it into your DS
    5. You should then see the "Alex Rider Stormbreaker THQ" on your DS screen
    6. Push the "A" button on your DS and that should boot your DS into DS mode

If the above fails the first time go ahead and repeat the steps. And if it still fails to boot up. Go ahead and re-format your Micro Card to FAT32 if your using it with a DS or exFAT if you own a 3DS. And if it still fails to boot go ahead and re-install the Firmware v1.0 back into your StarGate 3DS Card.

Good Luck and Happy Gaming ;)

3. 37
    royster77

royster77 Loyal Member

Sadly none of the above worked, and there's not really a "reinstall firmware" option since what's available is only for the DS menu as far as I can tell, and it's just a case of have those files in the root of the SD card to fix the DS menu...

4. 37
    royster77

royster77 Loyal Member

Second cart did the red light thing on me last night, icon showing up after inserting the cart and playing the intro music/sfx then the red light comes on on the cart and it refused to be read. I figured I'd try anything, the fixes mentioned here didn't work again but I DID manage to get it to work again, although it's not a great fix because taking the cart out then putting it back in reverts back to the red light problem...

First, turn the 3DS off. Next, plug the USB cable into the cart then insert into the 3DS. Turn the 3DS on. At this point I got 2 blue screens, and tiny writing showing the ROM or something. Cart light was green. I removed the cable, and held 3DS power button down until power off, then power back up. Games now load correctly.

As a temp fix it works, but perhaps it is a bug in the firmware? Hopefully it can be fixed permanently

Let me know if this works for anyone else, and I'm going to try it on the first cart tonight

5. 8
    Smith000

Smith000 Loyal Member

I've been having the same problem the past few days. Also at first, about half of the time it would say there's nothing in the cartridge slot. I was able to play 3ds roms and switch them for about a month. But now I get the red light often, the same rom reappears when I try to switch with the buttons, and the rom won't load/start. I try to push it further up into the system sometimes, but that only works when pushing the Stargate in. If I try to push it close to the system to play another rom, it ejects the cart (obviously).

6. 46
    RobertHMayfire

RobertHMayfire Loyal Member

What brand of SD cards are you using?

7. 37
    royster77

royster77 Loyal Member

I ended up sending both carts back for replacement. No problems with the replacements and Stargate support has told the guy that posted the review that there was a faulty batch sent out at the very start of the production run.

8. 8
    Smith000

Smith000 Loyal Member

SanDisk Ultra 128 GB - class 10

9. 3
    sparky67

sparky67 Loyal Member

hi guys was having problem of a green light flashing once and no game card inserted after many hours of head wrecking i worked out the sd card was not connecting to stargate properly so i filed the bottom of sd card with nail file and it loaded games first time, just try filing a little bit at a time and try it will work i have now got all my sd cards working sandisk/kingston hope it helps guys

10. 8
    Smith000

Smith000 Loyal Member

That's not the problem I'm having. I turn my system on - the Stargate goes from purple (brief flash), then green (1-2s), then stays red until I turn the system off, or remove the Stargate. The ROMs make the intro noise and have their graphic, but don't load. The message I get is: "the game cartridge could not be read". And today, I'm not even getting that message - I press A/open for a ROM, and nothing happens. And the Stargate still has a constant red light on.

11. 3
    sparky67

sparky67 Loyal Member

i tried at least 8 sd cards the cheap 2gb tesco one was doing similar it would load game and then error go back to home screen or card could not be read i filed that sd card and that is working also different brands of sd were giving me different errors it is worth a try and file one if you have a cheap one just to see

12. 8
    Smith000

Smith000 Loyal Member

But I wanted 128gb cards so I could put around 150 .3ds ROMs and didn't have to keep switching micro sd cards. And I don't know what you meant by filing off part of the sd card. I don't feel like ruining a $40 card.

13. 3
    sparky67

sparky67 Loyal Member

get a cheap sd card 1 or 2 gb and try that first at the bottom were the gold connectors are file the plastic slightly and keep filing until it works i used a nail file not saying thats your problem but it worked for me i now have all my sd cards working including 128 gb

14. 37
    royster77

royster77 Loyal Member

Sounds like you have one of the faulty batch cards. If you paid by paypal and need to send the carts back for replacements you may be able to claim return shipping costs back directly from paypal. I was able to in the UK, and the replacement carts have worked no problems aside from getting the cart has been removed a few times on layton vs phoenix wright - just recopied the game onto the cart to see if it was a bad copy going over. Hopefully that's fixed that!

15. 4
    Nicola72

Nicola72 Loyal Member

Hi,
    i've buied stargate-3ds from Cypro official reseller and it had never worked properly.
    I've just awaited some weeks before contact the seller because i've buied some microsd stuffs(ADATA, KINGSTON and SAMSUNG, 32-64 and 128gb, of COURSE GENUINE products) in order to prevent the trouble would be the microsd itself.
    The result is the same:
    stargate-3ds show me only the first .3ds icon, and when i try to browse an alert inform me that there are no games on the cartrdige.
    Same result even if i select the only game icon available to trying to play with.
    Just opened a RMA, and within two hours the RMA itself was be approved.
    Replacement is on the way.
    My respect goes to :
    https://www.online-trends.net
    Stay tuned,
    Nicola.

16. 8
    Smith000

Smith000 Loyal Member

I think I know what you're talking about, but would you happen to have a picture of one you've done that to? Thanks.

17. 46
    RobertHMayfire

RobertHMayfire Loyal Member

Then, I'm not going to be too much help then. When I was getting the red light I was using a Samsung card, but fixed it when I switched to a SanDisk 64gb (for 3DS files) and a Kingston 32gb (DS files).

18. 8
    Smith000

Smith000 Loyal Member

This morning I tried taking the Sandisk out, wiped the connector off gently with a finger, blew a bit on it and the micro sd port on the Stargate. Then I tried pushing the Sandisk as firmly into the Stargate as I could without breaking it. The Stargate red light was gone for about 10 mins, and only appeared when I cycled to about the 10th ROM. hmm... there may be something to this 'file some of the edge off' theory.

19. 37
    royster77

royster77 Loyal Member

Be wary that filling your SD cards to fit the faulty Stargate cards will mean they won't fit your SD card readers any more. You're much better off getting an RMA from the place you bought it

20. 4
    Nicola72

Nicola72 Loyal Member

The brand new STARGATE 3DS V2.0 works flawlessly

GaryOPA likes this.