hit tracker

Request: a more recent cheats database (fort42)

Discussion in 'Game Cheat Codes Discussion' started by Jitsuryoku, Jan 11, 2018.

1. 17
    Jitsuryoku

Jitsuryoku Loyal Member

I was wondering if someone could share some of the more recent cheats database (folder) for gateway.
    Fort42 had a lot more cheats than max-cheats, but it's broken now, and it's no longer possible to download it.

I had some custom cheats written (or rather, translated) and uploaded there, and I can't access them anymore. :'(

2. 25,001
    GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
    Design Eng.
    Home Page:
    I would like to find a good way to upgrade our max-cheats site so it would be the best of them all.

if you have suggestions or want to help, would love to work it out with you.

have not checked fort42 in a while, what happen to it?

3. 17
    Jitsuryoku

Jitsuryoku Loyal Member

Well, fort42 allowed to download a full cheat database download. Now that gateway-3ds is dying off and there aren't any alternatives to take its place I don't think that feature would be worth implementing.

I can't really give you any worthwhile suggestions to improve max-cheats site. I think fort42 and gateway-ds3 were supplementing each other. Gateway made finding (your own) and using (existing) cheats more accessible and fort42 (full database download in gateway-compatible format), made it easy to share your cheats and get newly created cheats by other users.

With that said, if a fresh cartrige or homebrew with cheat menu comes out, any features that make implementing those cheats easier will be a huge benefit to users.

4. 25,001
    GaryOPA

Media:
    Design Eng.
    Home Page:
    Well StarGate 3DS will for surely support DS Cheats in their next update, with maybe 3DS ones coming soon, in the meantime, this new cheat device just got announced:

http://www.maxconsole.com/threads/code-freak-for-3ds-the-most-anticipated-cheat-device.46357/

As for the whole download of all cheats we never added it to max-cheats as it would just allow people to never browse the site or want to share, just leech the first big download and leave. -- the same occurred on nfc-bank when people started sharing complete amiibo collections, traffic was killed by 90% and sharing of new amiibo's dried up, and now the only downloads are collection ones.

5. 17
    Jitsuryoku

Jitsuryoku Loyal Member

I can't speak for everyone, but I myself downloaded the full cheat pack multiple times and each time I did it for 1 game at a time. I mean sure, they didn't get much traffic from me (because on average consumer visit I visited 3 pages and I didn't visit often) but they had an advantage over competitors, which got none. Truth be told, the credit for their traffic goes to code (and in few cases guide) contributors, because both my consumption visits and contributions were direct consequence of fort42 having more/better cheat options than competitors. If the website had less codes than competitors the download-all feature wouldn't save it.

Looking back, when I look at the reasons for choosing any cheat site over another, it was always one of the following reasons (and if neither website had the advantage, then order of google results broke the tie):
    • Cheat codes (more in numbers or having specific hard to create "better" ones). Most of my interaction with fort42 was because of Monster Hunter games. When I was looking for cheats for those games Fort42 had undoubtedly the best selection of cheat codes. It had codes with triggers and pointers that allowed item shuffling in game, while the competitor websites only had really basic 1-liner "enable code for max hp" (or money) codes, on top of that one of website contributors started translating codes for different versions (1.1 and 1.2) of the US game, which at the time gave me enough data to see how I can systematically translate any version of US code to European and vice versa. So I did...
      • I've got a similar story for PS3 community forum (I think it was on ps3trophies, not 100% sure) and save cheat codes for Tales of Graces F. There were better websites for the job, but that forum had 1 user working on more advanced/harder to find codes, and again I was compelled to share my own codes there.
    • Secondary features, made my choice when I was first learning to create codes. I don't remember what website it was, but 1 website which had a lot codes for old consoles (gba, nds, ps1, ps2, etc) and for many cheat devices/systems, but at the time all of it was old. I ended up using it a lot because It had a lot of guides on how those codes work, how they work on each cheat device, how to convert them from 1 to other format, with tools, examples and other stuff. Again, all thanks to contributors.
    • Ease of use: I think the reason fort42 was leading in number of cheats was the fact it was easy to use for both users and contributors and on top of that, contributors could get their own work back as part of cheat database at any time.

I'm not sure if ease of use is what attracted contributors, but now that I actually think about it, contributors are definitely the ones that attracted me.

6. 17
    Jitsuryoku

Jitsuryoku Loyal Member

Took too long to edit, so have to respond again....

Code freak doesn't seem to have real time memory search, which makes it equivalent to NTR plugins, in terms of development with the added disadvantage of costing money. Basically, (apart from gateway) the only way I found to perform a memory search is using ram-dumps (please correct me if I'm wrong), which makes developing even a single code long and tedious.

I think citra emulator has the best potential of becoming a cheat development platform (assuming it is finished and cheat search is implemented).

7. 25,001
    GaryOPA

Media:
    Design Eng.
    Home Page:
    Found this Fort42 download pack on FileTrip Website

Attached Files:

Jitsuryoku likes this.
  8. 17
    Jitsuryoku

Jitsuryoku Loyal Member