hit tracker

REVIEW: M3 DS Simply, Slot 1 Loading goodness for DS/Lite from M3 Perfect!

Discussion in 'NDS FlashCarts, Custom Mods' started by Zeus, Jan 2, 2007.

1. 0
    DJ1990

DJ1990 Guest

Can one avoid breaking the spring if one is careful on how one inserts and removes the SD Card?

I am sick of Maximum Overload Patcher And loader because it is not compatible of a good amount of games that I want to play.

All the recent game releases like Diddy Kong Racing DS, Yu-Gi-Oh GX, etc will not work on the freak'n Max Media Dock and I am S-I-C-K of it!

I am now looking for a 1 ds slot rom thingy and this looks like a winner.
    I found the US website (I think) and it was around $50.00+S+H.

I would like to know if any of you have ANY ROM Related Problems or Hardware Failure Problems.

2. 0
    Bamboozle

Bamboozle Guest

I just ordered my Simply and im wondering. Has anyone tested DSaim on it? Can you create folders for mp3s? As in can I have each CD in seperate folders or must I have all the mp3s in one big cluster?

3. 0
    Goner

Goner Guest

From what I heard, DSAim runs on the Simply.
    I'm using Beup (MSN Messenger clone) myself, works OK but no DLDI support so far :-(

You can make as many folders as you like for mp's and movies etc.
    Just browse around with Moonshell to play & watch.

4. 63
    chuckrich

chuckrich Loyal Member

This might be a stupid question but I'm confused about it. If I got the DS Simply and a M3 Perfect Lite for GBA games would I need two SD cards (one for the Simply and one for the Lite)?

5. 49
    supaspic

supaspic Loyal Member

Hey guys, I currently have the old school M3 CF adapter. I'm thinking of upgrading to the Simply for my new dslite. A frined of mine says to go with the supercard version because the Simply has problems running games. I'm a fan of M3 and just wanted to know how it runs. I read the review, but I want to know from experienced users. Should I go with it?

6. 11
    allyourblood

allyourblood Loyal Member

thus far, my Simply runs flawlessly. i haven't hit a game it can't run. speed and compatibility are excellent, installation and use are mind-numbingly simple, and the overall physical build quality is tops. for the price, it's really a no-brainer. i'm planning on buying an M3 Lite to compliment mine, for the emulators and GBA-side of things.

7. 0
    d33t

d33t Guest

I got the M3 DS Simply right after xmas. I ordered it from modchipstore since they where the only one that had it in stock (which is also the case right now too). If you are looking for a cheap and easy solution for playing DS backups (and one that seems to be getting a LOT of homebrew focus), this is the cart to pick up.

I see some people around here have had some problems with the spring on the microSD card slot. I'm in the same boat, and while mine eventually fixed itself, I opted to cut away some of the plastic shell so I could easily pull the microSD card out without using the spring. That was my solution...

Also, as a warning, I've read that many people don't like the TF card reader that comes with it. Mine came with the little translucent blue one, and I can say that it sucks. It stopped working the 6th time I used it. I opened it up and re-did the solder connections on the USB plug since they were loose, which made it at least see and access the microSD card, but I get nothing but IO errors when moving stuff on or off it now. The thing is worthless.

Still, it's something I can live without, it's just annoying. Overall, I HIGHLY recommend the M3 DS Simply if you are looking for a Slot-1 solution. Don't bother with the rom trimming either, the space you save isn't huge and I've read that it lowers the success rate of download play (with unflashed DSs anyway). The video encoder works well though and is the only program you will need. If you don't care about videos, everything else is drag and drop!

My only real beef with the thing is skinning the interface. I can not for the life of me get any skins to work in any fashion (except the Moonshell skins, those work just fine). I tried putting the skins in a self-made _system_ folder like I read to do. I tried just dumping the skins in the root of the card. I tried formatting the microSD card as FAT16 and FAT32. Nothing worked. Has anyone gotten the M3 interface to skin right?

As a note, I have the "new" M3 DS Simply. It's the one that comes in the cardboard box, only has the black shell, can't be modded into an R4DS (yet) and ships with firmware 1.01 on the CD. I don't know if that makes a difference, but I simply can't get the skin function to work.

8. 16
    NPower

NPower Loyal Member

I've wrote an M3 Simply Review in dutch, you can view it here:
    Dutch M3 Simply Review

I did it in Dutch because their weren't any reviews of it in dutch yet, and not all Dutch people can read English well ;)

9. 130
    ptrck*

ptrck* Loyal Member

I got one of the "newer" M3 Simply ur talkin bout(got mine in January) and my TF card reader has worked perfectly(I got a blackish greenish metal-like one) and the spring for the micro card on mine isn't broken(lets hope it stays that way).
    I'm not sure which skin function ur havin a problem wit(the M3 Menu one or the Moonshell one), but I had a skin problem wit the moonshell one(i'm guessin ur havin a problem wit dis one), but fixed it.
    Alls you gots to do is if u downloaded the latest version of moonshell, copy the moonshl folder to the root of ur micro sd card. The skin that ur using, put all it's contents into a "shell" folder in the root of ur micro card and in the moonshl folder(do not put the files of the skin into a folder and then putting that folder in the shell folder and the moonshl folder, it will not work that way, just put skin's files into the folders I mentioned to put them in) The skin should work on moonshell now. For skinning the M3 menu, put all skin files into a folder called _system_ wit the underspaces!

Sorry for a long explanation but the skins should work if u read my directions CAREFULLY!
    Hope I could help you:)

10. 0
    d33t

d33t Guest

Thanks for the help. I actually got the moonshell skins working just fine. That was really easy to figure out since the default skin graphics were already there so I knew what to overwrite. It's the M3 skins I can't get to work.

I placed them in a _system_ folder (and even tried _system since that's what the docs say, but I figured it was a typo). Maybe the skins I downloaded were bad, but I've tried a couple dozen and not a single one works for me :(. They are all 256x192, all bmp files, named correctly (bckgrd_1, bckgrd_2, icons and logo) and in the _system_ folder. The skins are are downloaded from forums and other M3 sites so they SHOULD work just fine. Maybe it's something simple I am overlooking..... I'm doing everything from Linux too, so maybe I'll try it on my one windoze box just to see.

New M3 DS Simply, 1.02 firmware, Kingston 1GB MicroSD card (actually, I have 3, none work for skinning the M3). No M3 skins, just moonshell skins.

11. 130
    ptrck*

ptrck* Loyal Member

that's one problem fixed and one to go. From wut ur tellin me, ur skinz should work for the M3 menu. Based on wut I read from this thread:http://forums.maxconsole.net/showthread.php?t=50182

it says hidding the _system_ folder makes it work. to hide the folder, simply right click it, go to properties, and click/check the box under attributes that says hidden. I have also done this wit other unnecessary files that show up on the selection menu of the M3(for exaple, i hid the ds menu file that boots up the M3 and that other boot moonshell thing er somethin... I just hid those files and some others that i can't remember, but don't hide those other folders that i DID NOT MENTION like for example the game folder or music folder or applications folder)

Hope dis finally solves ur prob.:eek:

12. 0
    lukeownzu

lukeownzu Guest

What site do I go to to download movies, tv shows, and music free? is there one? also can I download the opera browser?

13. 0
    Taco_Man

Taco_Man Guest

Where can I download DS roms?

14. 130
    ptrck*

ptrck* Loyal Member

sorry to disappoint you Taco_man, but if you read the rules when registering to Maxconsole, you CAN NOT, i repeat, YOU CAN NOT POST ANY SITES OF ROMS!
    Well...if you heard something called...well i dont know, something like GOOGLE!, to look where to get roms(DUH)

P.S. just sayin you could have tried google, even i did that when i didn't know(DUH)

P.S.not tryin to offend you, just messin wit ya:p

15. 34
    Dispatches

Dispatches Loyal Member

whats the download (single cart) play like?

My M3 is on the way and the girlfriend is thinking about getting a DS for download play so would love to hear your success failures.

In particular mario kart.

cheers

16. 130
    ptrck*

ptrck* Loyal Member

Okay here we go:
    Mario Kart...WORKS!!!
    Jump Ultimate Stars...WORKS!!!
    Bomberman...WORKS!!!
    New Super Mario Bros....NoPE!!(dang)
    Diddy Kong Racing...NoPE!!(dang)
    Advance Wars Dual Strike...WORKS!!!
    Elite Beat Agents...WORKS!!!
    Kirby Squeak Squad...WORKS!!!

So far, download play INDEED, DOES work for Mario Kart, Bomberman, Jump Ultimate Stars, Advance Wars, Elite beat Agents, and kirby Squeak squad.

All work on the M3 Simply(which is THEE GREATEST slot-1 solution!!)

17. 34
    Dispatches

Dispatches Loyal Member

cheers for the reply. Mario karts working so thats a winner.

just waiting on the M3s arrival kms said it was posted early monday morning so I'm hoping it gets here for the weekend :)

18. 118
    chkdg8

chkdg8 Loyal Member

actor/editor/forum administrator
    Home Page:
    http://claudiosad.com
    I just ordered mine from divineo $53.48 shipped. Now, the waiting game. I look forward to some cool homebrew.

19. 55
    tzimmerman

tzimmerman Loyal Member

How do I get game saves off an original cartridge?

I have some M3 simply's up and working with ROM's on the M3.
    But how do I transfer game saves that my children already have on the original carts?
    I can not see an easy way to get the original DS cart connected to my computer to read/copy the files I need. Does it mean buying some type of adapter?

Thanks,

20. 118
    chkdg8

chkdg8 Loyal Member

actor/editor/forum administrator
    Home Page:
    http://claudiosad.com
    Wtf?

Hey wait a minute, I just got my package today and I didn't get a cd rom with all the necessary files I need to get everything running. Can anyone help?