hit tracker

REVIEW - SteamWorld Dig 2

Discussion in 'Official MaxConsole Reviews' started by JHardin1112, Oct 13, 2017.

By JHardin1112 on Oct 13, 2017 at 11:59 AM
  1. 521
    JHardin1112

JHardin1112 Maxconsole Game Reviewer Staff Member MaxConsole News Team

Media:
    Hey everyone! I'm back with another game review. This time I got my grubby mitts on the gem that is SteamWorld Dig 2, so dig in! - sorry, couldn't help myself :)

SteamWorld_Dig_2_logo.png

SteamWorld Dig 2 opens with the relaxing tunes of an old western, camera fading down a cliff to the campfire site of our mechanical protagonist, Dorothy a.k.a. Dot. A friend to the protagonist from the first SteamWorld Dig, Rusty. You start out with the quest of finding your friend after he mysteriously disappeared following the conclusion of the initial iteration of this series. After you leap off of the cliff camp site to the desert below, the sand caves in beneath you after which you get your first taste of the brilliant gameplay within this little gem.

SteamWorld-Dig-2-Screenshot-1.jpg

SteamWorld Dig 2 is a 2d platform action-adventure game reminiscent of the old Castlevania: Symphony of the Night mixed with Metroid and throwing in a healthy mix of RPG elements. There is one play style in mind; Dig, Kill, Loot, Sell, Repeat. With that being said the game is nowhere near monotonous, and it would be hard to run into a moment where things become stale or unenjoyable. Gameplay is a mix of pursuing your quest objective; finding Rusty, killing enemies and looting items/experience, digging up resources to sell and upgrade your gear and equipment, back tracking the open world to find shortcuts, hidden items, artifacts, and “cogs” to augment your gear and equipment, completing small trials and dungeons, and ultimately discovering everything within this immense game.

SteamWorld-Dig-2-Screenshot-2.jpg SteamWorld-Dig-2-Screenshot-3.jpg SteamWorld-Dig-2-Screenshot-4.jpg

With the beautiful music created for SteamWorld Dig, it is so easy to get lost digging deep into the depths of this game. It is rendered in such a way that blends with the game, you don’t need any external soundtrack or playlist to help you make it bearable. Combined with the delightfully rendered graphics, this game is very easy on the eyes and ears. Between the eerie luminescent glow of the cave mushrooms to the fading light and shadows of Dot’s lantern, all of the artwork is absolutely gorgeous.

SteamWorld-Dig-2-Screenshot-5.jpg SteamWorld-Dig-2-Screenshot-6.jpg
    What really is appealing about SteamWorld Dig 2 is it’s $20 price tag, you get so much bang for your buck it is unbelievable! Image and Form International did a wonderful job on this game and they deserve the recognition for creating such an enjoyable work of art. All in all, I highly recommend this game to all of those who have a Switch, it is a great addition to your game collection.

SteamWorld-Dig-2-Screenshot-7.jpg SteamWorld-Dig-2-Screenshot-8.jpg SteamWorld-Dig-2-Screenshot-9.jpg SteamWorld-Dig-2-Screenshot-10.jpg SteamWorld-Dig-2-Screenshot-11.jpg SteamWorld-Dig-2-Screenshot-12.jpg SteamWorld-Dig-2-Screenshot-13.jpg

Comments

Discussion in 'Official MaxConsole Reviews' started by JHardin1112, Oct 13, 2017.