hit tracker

Rumor: Cross game chat to be limited to PAID PSN subscribers

Discussion in 'PlayStation Gaming News' started by Zeus, Feb 17, 2010.

By Zeus on Feb 17, 2010 at 10:29 AM
  1. 11,051
    Zeus

Zeus MaxConsole News Team

Home Page:
    http://www.maxconsole.com
    The Official Playstation Magazine has an interesting little rumor. The rumor is that cross game chat will be available to PAID PSN subscribers only. We hope this is not the case and it is just a poor rumor.

<blockquote>
    In the latest issue of PTOM, there’s a thread about PlayStation 3’s “Next Techâ€, and in it, slew of details were divulged concerning PSN.

After talking about the possible 3D offerings in 2010, the mag delves into cross-game chat.

“Aside from the 3D goodness, cross-game party chat is the obvious “next big feature,†even though it might be restricted to paid [PSN] subscribers.â€

Earlier in the same thread speaking about motion controls, the writer said this:

“Sony’s current service is one of the PS3’s best features, so we’d begrudgingly welcome a revamped PSN with extra subscriber functionality, like cross-game-chat and exclusive PSN downloads.â€</blockquote>

News Source: <a href="http://www.gamesthirst.com/2010/02/16/ps3-cross-game-chat-to-be-restricted-to-paid-psn-subscribers/" target="_blank">Gamesthirst</a>

Comments

Discussion in 'PlayStation Gaming News' started by Zeus, Feb 17, 2010.

1. 2,056
      Rockman_Joey

Rockman_Joey Loyal Member

Student - Computer Games Tech.
      Personally, I really wouldn't mind to be honest. When the two online models are introduced, I'll be upgrading my main account so I'll be using the Cross Game Chat then anyway, I don't communicate with my other import accounts so I am not fussed

2. 6,627
      tech3475

tech3475 Loyal Member

I dont mind as long as the current services which are free, remain free.

I already have XBL though so I think I'll stick with that for now in terms of paid online.

3. 7,336
      ThreeDog

ThreeDog Loyal Member

I can verify this in some small way.
      The PSN survey i took had options for Cross game voice chat. CGVC was included in almost every paid package.
      Same as above though its an important feature to me and subject to which packages Sony goes for i won't mind paying for the service, i just hope the free PSone and online discount package makes it.

4. 512
      mcmanic

mcmanic Loyal Member

Home Page:
      http://
      couldn't care less about cross game chat just as long as PSN remains free for gaming online

5. 0
      ultragoregrind

ultragoregrind Guest

So?

As an owner of both the 360 and the ps3, i've noticed that 360 users actually use their mics quite often. The only time i run into a ps3 player who both has a mic and uses it is when i play with actual friends of mine.

It's a rather bizarre difference in the cultures. I don't understand it honestly.

6. 0
      ando2k5

ando2k5 Guest

mainly because wireless mic's are crap and sony dont offer a wired one

turtle beach is the way to go ;)

7. 0
      ultragoregrind

ultragoregrind Guest

...but you can use any standard bluetooth mic with the ps3.

(in any case i've got the official sony BT mic that came packed in with socom. seems to work rather well (when there are people talking) )

8. 209
      fever

fever Loyal Member

i already pay for live and i dont think psn is even close to that quality yet, i think ill pass

9. 323
      richbambam360

richbambam360 Loyal Member

Postie
      So what if one pays the subscribtion charge & gets cross game chat,Goes online on his PSN sees a buddy online so sends a chat request message,gets a message back sorry buddy can't I dont pay subscribtion charge.
      So in theory although you could end up paying the subscribtion charge & you still only get limited cross game chat only to other subscribtion payers I no longer have xboxlive subscribtion but couldnt you get cross game chat with the free xboxlive silver service I didnt think you had to have xboxlive gold service to get cross game chat?

10. 1,791
      panyan1991

panyan1991 Loyal Member

God of all Knowledge
      the way i see it is that on xbox everyone is super-competitive and so love to shout abuse at eachother (or maybe some tactics). On the ps3, people just wanna play and have a good time so there is no need for tactics/abuse.

11. 0
      ultragoregrind

ultragoregrind Guest

It's not even the abuse factor, i've played with many great gamers on the 360 and they all chat and co-ordinate while in game. Sometimes it's just as simple as shooting the breeze with someone, and sometimes it really is all about coordinating our plan of attack.

On the ps3 side, even on fast paced online games (mw2, warhawk, and so on)... silence (unless i get lucky and find another random player using the mic or i am playing with friends).

voice chat is imo one of the biggest features of current online gaming. the fact that a segment of the gamer population seems to ignore that functionality just doesn't make sense, esp when it's so easy and inexpensive to get set up for voice chat on the ps3.

ah well. sigh.