hit tracker

Run script create_hdd_region.sh really just cant get past this i av my file on usb

Discussion in 'Codename: REBUG PS3 CFW Releases and Support' started by rusty666, Jul 10, 2011.

1. 13
    rusty666

rusty666 Loyal Member

Run script create_hdd_region.sh really just cant get past this i av my file on usb. ope u can help thanx

2. 318
    Pockets69

Pockets69 Loyal Member

Student (university)
    Home Page:
    http://www.PS3hax.net
    it would happen if you tell what error are you getting etc.

3. 13
    rusty666

rusty666 Loyal Member

“/tmp/petitboot/mnt/sda1/create_hdd_region.sh thats wat i done now then it loaded but then wat ?

4. 13
    rusty666

rusty666 Loyal Member

1. Install the latest CFW 3.55-OtherOS++ (If you already on 3.55 you should install 3.55 OFW first via recovery and then install the above CFW via recovery)

2. When installation is finished, go to recovery menu and choose "Restore PS3 System" This will format your HDD

3. Install all PKG files that you downloaded above

4. Now your GameOS should use only the half of your HDD unless you downloaded the 22gb firmware file (Currently working on a better approach)

5. Run setup_flash_for_otheros.pkg (for all PS3 models)

6. Reboot the PS3 normally (Important the next programs wont beep if you don’t)

7. Now run install_otheros.pkg. make sure the dtbImage.ps3.bin is on the root of the usb drive It will typically take 15 to 30 seconds to run.if it doesn't beep try a different usb port (NAND owners should use dtbImage.ps3.bin.minimal, rename it to dtbImage.ps3.bin).

8. Now run boot_otheros.pkg.

9. Now run reboot.pkg.

10. You should be in petitboot now. It has a grey/black background with a few options. Exit from CUI to shell. To make life easier for you, connect to your PS3 with a telnet/ssh client. as you are required to type a lot depending on what distro/kernel you decide to install and copy and paste will save you a lot of time

11. From the telnet shell type the following without quotes, “/tmp/petitboot/mnt/sda1/create_hdd_region.sh”

11. When that is completed type “reboot” without quotes

12. We need to use the grep tool for this so type “grep -i | dev/ps3” wihout quotes.

You should see now new HDD device on petitboot, /dev/ps3dd.

That's your OtherOS HDD region.

Don't touch any other HDD regions if you don't know what you are doing. Use only ps3dd

device for your Linux installation. Use parted to partition it and create GPT partition

table on ps3dd. GPT is supported by both, Linux and FreeBSD.

thats the guide i went off

5. 318
    Pockets69

Pockets69 Loyal Member

Student (university)
    Home Page:
    do not double post, its against the rules.

do cd /tmp/petitboot/mnt/sda1/ or whatever sda there is, it might be sda0, you can't do things blindly, when you are on that folder, do ./create_hdd_region.sh

6. 13
    rusty666

rusty666 Loyal Member

but when i do that then grep -i that works but then dev/ps3 nothin happens

7. 318
    Pockets69

Pockets69 Loyal Member

Student (university)
    Home Page:
    did you do what i told you to?

8. 9
    nevik

nevik Loyal Member

I am on a fat so the sda1 is sdd1 but even though the command ./create_hdd_region.sh runs I see the text, I reboot, and see nothing different in petitboot no new region like the instructions say.
    any help would be great?

9. 318
    Pockets69

Pockets69 Loyal Member

Student (university)
    Home Page:
    isn't that script only for slims with nors? i don't think it works on nands.

10. 318
    Pockets69

Pockets69 Loyal Member

Student (university)
    Home Page:
  11. 13
    rusty666

rusty666 Loyal Member

im a newbiw m8 so i just followed that guide but when put dev/ps3 not found nothin as changed in petitboot

12. 9
    nevik

nevik Loyal Member

no the only thing that changes in the procedure between slim and fat is the .bin file you need to use. everything else is the same. I also printed the directions before gitbrew went down.

even typing mount only shows the ps3dc partition. I do believe i need to edit ect/fstab. if anyone can help?

i think should be something like

/dev/ps3dc /
    /dev/ps3dd /tmp/petitboot/mnt/ gpt defaults 0 0

as the ps3da and ps3db are the gameos and are what the script hdd_access.sh deactivate so when you reboot to install, the partition i created with parted ps3dd is the one that is seen when i restart the machine even thought through the install process fedora or ydl will see the partition as ps3da.

thanks for any help.

13. 318
    Pockets69

Pockets69 Loyal Member

Student (university)
    Home Page:
    i didn't edit fstab, so i can't help you out sorry, why don't you have a look on gitbrew's tutorial on youtube, i didn't use it but saw it once and its quite good, it should work for you.

14. 9
    nevik

nevik Loyal Member

thanks for the help but ill wait for irc to return. I finished the procedure and have ydl6.1 on 3.55. I just know that it installed to ps3da and if i go to gamesos it will reformat the hdd. I will run through it again later.

15. 171
    Rautz

Rautz Loyal Member

Super Villain
    @OP Heres what I did from step 10 with the create_hdd_region script in the root of my flash drive. FWIW the fash drive is in the rightmost usb slot.

Starting from step 10 on the Gitbrew Guide I entered

PHP:
    cd /tmp/petitboot/mnt/sda1
    followed by
    PHP:
    sh create_hdd_region.sh
    After it did its thing I hit Cntrl+Alt+Del to get back to GameOS. Shut the PS3 down from XMB the fired back up the PS3.
    Clicked the Reboot pkg to get back into petitboot then entered shell again so I could enter the following to partition the drive.
    PHP:
    parted /dev/ps3dd
    PHP:
    mklabel gpt 
    PHP:
    mkpart primary 0 2GB
    PHP:
    print
    PHP:
    mkpart primary 2GB
    after this it will say finish?
    type
    PHP:
    22GB
    then finally enter
    PHP:
    quit
    NB if any questions pop up while you try and partition the internal just hit ignore and continue with the steps as usual. I had a couple regarding the partition, probably due to an earlier failed attempt at partitioning the drive.