hit tracker

Samsung Galaxy Note 5 Help

Discussion in 'Off Topic & General Discussion' started by Artlover, Mar 5, 2019.

1. 1,285
    Artlover

Artlover Bad Ass Mother 4000, Twice as Fast as your Ass! Loyal Member

Property Maintenance
    Miami, Fl, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Universe
    So I have a Note 5, and it was almost dead, I hooked it up to the charger and all was going well. Last time I looked at it, it was at 67% charged. I go take a shower, come back, look at it and it's dead.

No lights. Wont charge. Wont power up. Wont hard reset.

I took it to a local shop. First they tried to swap the battery, then the charging circuit, then a few other things they never bothered to mention to me, before saying it's the main board and they can't fix it. Maybe, maybe not. I know they were a bunch of amateurs that made a bigger mess of my phone before they worked on it.

But ignoring all that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it might be and if it is fixable. I've never heard of a phone just totally die like this, so I'm hoping there is hope and their incompetence is why they couldn't fix it.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
  2. 25,371
    GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
    Design Eng.
    Home Page:
    http://www.O-P-A.biz
    most likely they fucked up the charging circuit

i had to do similar repairs on my samsung galaxy grand neo after 4 years of solid usage.

in my case it was usb-port that needed to be replaced.

now it works, but it is very picky on the cable, the replaced usb port (amateurs here also in dominican republic), is fiffy i had to buy a dozen different usb cables before i found one that worked, and i can't move it when it is charging, and it still does not charge when it is off, i have to get it at least to power-up with 1% and then quickly plug in the cable.

and now once it goes below 43% it starts rapidly dying, and even with a new battery it does the same.

I hear a rumor there is 'counter' in samsung phones, after so many cycles it no longer charges the same, but that is just internet talk, but you never know.

Also samsung pushed out firmwares for some phones after their scandal of phones blowing up, so that they don't charge anymore, maybe some how your phone wrongly got an OTA update.

my no longer gets ota updates, as i rooted it, so samsung just displays a message saying my warranty is void due to tampering even after i unrooted it, when it checks online for updates.

Artlover likes this.
  3. 1,285
    Artlover

Property Maintenance
    I'm still up in the air about trying to get it fixed again. Charging circuit is messed up, the mylar traces at the top are ripped, the pen is broken, missing screws. Real class-a piece of work. <rolls eyes!>

That said, I may just call the data I had on it a loss and buy a new phone.

I'm thinking of a few...

LG K20 Plus
    LG Arisito 3
    Samsung Galaxy J2
    Samsung Galaxy J3 Prime Silver
    Samsung Galaxy J7 Prime
    Samsung Galaxy J7 Star
    Alcatel 7
    Alcatel A30 Fierce

Need to research all of those a bit and go from there.

4. 1,285
    Artlover

Property Maintenance
    Meh... All those phones suck.

I think I'll use this old Note 4 I have instead. Just waiting tor a replacement battery. I may have to change the charge port, but that's easy on this phone.

5. 25,371
    GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
    Design Eng.
    Home Page:
    http://www.O-P-A.biz
    Yeah the newer phones are crap. I like my old one.

Artlover likes this.