hit tracker

SEGA wants Shenmue III, offers console exclusivity

Discussion in 'Archived General Gaming News' started by Zeus, Feb 1, 2010.

1. 11,051
    Zeus

Zeus MaxConsole News Team

Home Page:
    http://www.maxconsole.com
    According to reports, SEGA is desperate to see the emergence of Shenmue III and has gone as far as to offer console exclusivity to any party particularly interested in it.

News Source: <A href="http://www.platformnation.com/2010/01/31/sega-wants-shenmue-iii-offers-console-exclusivity/comment-page-1/" target="_blank">PlatformNation</a>

2. 6,626
    tech3475

tech3475 Loyal Member

Please release Shenmue 3! It will shut a whole load of people up who keep demanding it.

3. 1,199
    DanASBO

DanASBO Loyal Member

This would be perfect on PS3, as they could release all 3 on one disc. Probably not gonna happen though. Somebody should throw 'em some cash to release it, I wanna know who killed Ryo's Dad.

4. 1,817
    sirxlaughs

sirxlaughs Loyal Member

The original article:

http://www.eurogamer.pt/articles/sega-fala-sobre-shenmue-iii

Basically, if one of the three are willing to finance/publish the project, they'll make it exclusive to that publisher. It's still just an idea being tossed around. Would be interesting to see Microsoft pick this up since they published Shenmue II on the XBOX.

5. 16
    drozek

drozek Loyal Member

Damn this would be badass, time to replay I and II again

6. 323
    richbambam360

richbambam360 Loyal Member

Postie
    hope nintendo dont find the money,I think this game would more be suited for the PS3 as the main contender

7. 549
    No Name Trowa B

No Name Trowa B Loyal Member

id play it on the playstation 3 (but it should come with 1 and 2)

8. 1,817
    sirxlaughs

sirxlaughs Loyal Member

Why? Sony had nothing to do with any previous Shenmue games. Nintendo, right now, have the money to do anything they want.

9. 26,553
    Xenogears V

Xenogears V Senior Helper Clean-Up Crew

Come out for sure on 360...

10. 499
    buggyglint1

buggyglint1 Loyal Member

One of my favourites from Dreamcast, never did finish it though. If this came with I and II that would be totally awesome, and of course, if it were on bluray it would make things easier.

11. 47
    Sladey1601

Sladey1601 Loyal Member

it was lan-di who killed ryo's dad, ryo seen it, i seen it, everyone who played senmue 1 seen it yet ryo would always walk around saying 'did u see the man in black on that day' lol.

I personally would build a console just to play shenmue 3, i was so pissed off when lan-di done a runner (again) at the end of shenmue 2.

i'd want to play it on the 360 cause i dont own a ps3, but it would make better sense to bring it to the ps3 so they could include 1 & 2 for people who didnt play the game before.

12. 644
    alkalinetrio

alkalinetrio Loyal Member

I would purchase whatever console this came out on, no doubt. SEGA could name their price on this one and I would buy it. I was desperate for them to release III for such a long time, rumours of a single console exclusitivity arose long, long ago. I always imagined it would release on the original xbox, especially with the strong microsoft connections with the dreamcast and the speculation xbox was at one point to be backwards compatible with dreamcast games. I never though it would release, but this news would be the biggest announcement of all time to me personally!

Sad thing is, it's been a LONG time since Shenmue, but let me tell you it holds up so well, the game was a complete graphical masterpiece at the time, and still looks awesome. However, playing Yakuza 3 just feels like Shenmue 3 could EASILY be ported to PS3 running on the Yakuza engine, the comparisons are ridiculously similair.

There are 2 scenarios this could trigger. One, the game is released, as is. A general port of the unfinished dreamcast title. This would sell as a PSN or LIVE title. However, the trilogy could also make a disc release if all 3 were to release on a single console.

Secondly, Shenmue 3 could be developed on the Yakuza engine, and effectively be released as brand new game with not too much effort, but would cost SEGA alot more money.

Whatever the outcome, please let this happen.

13. 2,115
    dsav

dsav Loyal Member

i never played shenmue, just didn't seem to care for it i guess.

isn't it like an asian gta or something ? lol i know i'm not too far off on that i don't think anyway.

someone fill me in.

14. 145
    etb

etb Loyal Member

well .. it was (imo IS) the best game ever ...
    to put it simple you are the son of a martial arts teacher in the japan of the 1980's. he gets killed by a chinese martial arts guy. so you seek for revenge.(well the story is actually really good and develops well but i don't want to spoil anything (nor write a roman)
    what this game makes special is that it plays in the "real world". (well ok gta plays in the real world too but doesn't seem that real at all. )f.e. every person that walks around has their own daily routine ... the way you have to interact with people to get more information and the world itself .. it's just unbelievable. unbelievable believable.
    the game is an adventure / beat em up mix which alone is quite special.
    the adventure part is just perfect. walking, talking, searching..... but really special about this game is that the beat em up part is extremely deep with a lot of moves to learn which you have to practice or you can't use them in fights. the fighting system is quite perfect (well it was known as "virtua fighter RPG for long). and on top of that you have many minigames like the arcade machines in the arcades, darts,gambling , billiard and ofcourse the jobs you'll have to take in order to get money (driving a forklift f.e.).
    you can finish the game in 8 hours (the first one) or in 20 or more depending on how much stuff you do in the game there is tons of collectables and things to see and to do that you don't have to do and secret things happen at special places depending of the time and date......

well i can't give the game the credit it deserves my english is too bad but i hope you now got an idea what the game is about :)

and i would buy any console shenmue 3 was on. even if it only plays that game and costs 1000 bucks...

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2010
  15. 556
    Taft

Taft Loyal Member

Home Page:
    http://
    Doesn't matter to me which console, I just want to end this story! Oh well not on Wii I hope no hard feeling it suit more on 360/Ps3

16. 588
    lostn

lostn Loyal Member

I think this project will fail.

It is part 3 of a series. The first part was on Dreamcast, second part on Xbox. Both are out of print. Third part will be on some different system. To someone who didn't play the original, they won't be able to follow the story unless Sega also ports 1 and 2 over.

It will have a niche audience exclusive to people who were in on the original games.

I played SM1 on DC, but never owned an Xbox so missed out on SM2. It was only ever localized on the Xbox. SM2 on DC was exclusive to Japan and Europe (Europe version was still in Japanese dialog). I'm out.

Last of all, it's too little too late. SM1 was relased 2000. SM2 was 2002. SM3... 2012? Too late for a sequel.

17. 261
    Hanzaisha

Hanzaisha Loyal Member

I would only want Shenmue III if they brought Yu Suzuki back to do it. If I remember correctly, since last year, he only holds an "honorary title" and isn't really involved in game development anymore.

I also think it should be on PS3. 3rd party titles on the Wii don't usually do well and Shenmue 2 didn't really make much of an impact with the original Xbox. Sega seems to like working with Sony anyway, with exclusives like Yakuza and Valkyria Chronicles -- Shenmue would fit in nicely, especially if they re-released the first 2 games with it.

18. 644
    alkalinetrio

alkalinetrio Loyal Member

I'm pretty sure shenmue III was completely written and finished, while Yu Suzuki was there. Infact I believe the development was almost completely finished too. Just the lack of funding, money and ultimately sales/demand for the final part to release was just too low.

I find it strange how Shenmue was originally planned for the Saturn, I mean the development was really far too, you can watch game footage, where it is way into shenmue II still running on the saturn. And if Shenmue II was running on a Saturn, it makes you wonder how long the original games could have been and how far the series could have gone if it had been more popular, especially out side of Japan

19. 6,014
    grapeape

grapeape Loyal Member

Consultant
    But of course they want and exclusive deal they lost a ton of money on the first two. It has its fans, I'm one of them, but I dont know if its enough people to get anyone to pony up for exclusivity...including both platforms the sales of the first 2 combined totaled 1.6 million for 3 releases (1&2 on DC, 2 on Xbox). If someone wants to throw away money simply for prestige sake they might find a taker...MS most likely but even they will probably hesitate.

20. 3
    izuna drop

izuna drop Loyal Member

Fingers crossed that this is true and takes off. . . I loved the first two Shenmue games though I never beat either of them. Does that even make sense then? I remember playing the first one on DC many years ago... I didn't think they'd ever make a game that looked better than that :p

Like someone mentioned before, I was under the impression that this title was mostly completed back in the day. And if I'm correct, didn't Yu Suzuki originally wish for Shenmue to have like, 10 installments or something?

I agree wholeheartedly that this game should absolutely NOT come out for the Wii, simply because a large portion of this game's demographic would be left out in the cold. Probably. And I realize that graphics aren't everything, and the Wii is certainly more powerful than the DC, but I would like to see what they could do with the capabilities of the 360 or PS3. Also, re-releasing the first two entries (or enhanced remakes! Fingers still crossed...) is a must.

Oh Jesus. What if this comes out on the DS. . .

Who am I kidding. It'll never happen.