hit tracker

SnesORama Is Back From The Dead

Discussion in 'Off Topic & General Discussion' started by gDrive, Mar 5, 2012.

1. 4,102
    gDrive

gDrive Not Your Mommas Tranny Clean-Up Crew

Home Page:
    http://techbliss.org
    Hi folks.

Does anyone remember SnesORama? It was mainly renowned for its Trade Post, whereby its users used to upload ROMs/ISOs for different (old-school) game systems (I was a member there back in 2009, although I used the site, alongside Emuparadise back in ~2005 and atreyu187, another 'Crunch member was there as well). It was also known for emulation-related stuff/information and the members over there were wacky (but great).

However, due to the MegaFuckOver Phenomenon and the consequences of it, SnesORama's members decided to rebuild the Trade Post as a result of the uploads being deleted due to the MegaUpload shutdown, but then the site was then taken down and relaunched, but without the presence of the Trade Post as the administrator(s) (mainly, matrlx) was worried about the legal consequences of the events.

Unfortunately, the relaunch was met with dismay as its members felt that the Trade Post was the main "attraction" factor in the high readership and some even went to extreme lengths and accused the administrator of "wimping out" - and with the disagreement in SnesORama's direction, resulted in the permanent shutdown of the site.

To summarise, SnesORama was a similar site to Emuparadise in the sense that they provided game images/files and provided emulation/retro gaming-related information and it got shutdown due to the MegaUpload shutdown and the Trade Post-absent relaunch.

What are your thoughts/views on this and what have you got to say about the shutdown?

Here's the website link to the site: http://snesorama.us

Update: SNESORama is back from the dead, surprisingly, although most of the content has been lost in the process.

2. 189
    Ploggy

Ploggy Loyal Member

Yea. I noticed the other day the trading post is gone. It's a shame, it was a handy place for emulation resources.
    It will be missed :(

3. 4,102
    gDrive

Home Page:
    Tell me about it! :(

That's life - I just personally hope that other sites like Emuparadise stay up for the people who love their retro gaming.

4. 891
    Digital-Spooker

Digital-Spooker Loyal Member

Student.
    oh hell, EP wont ever shut down, they've faced countless DMCA crap, and server shut downs, they just keep moving around lol, their site and data is located in Montenegro now (and have been for.. the last year and a half I believe) they'll be safe for quite some time.

5. 4,102
    gDrive

Home Page:
    Yup - they won't back down - that's what I like about them (EP) - and I'm pretty sure that they had downtime as well a while back and they carried on as normal after that - props to them for that.

6. 571
    themuse

themuse Loyal Member

speaking of ninty and emulation, i have been looking , but with no success for information on triforce emulation, has anyone ever done this? i know dolphin says it capable ,but is that the best and only way? or does it not even work? i cant find any good info or even a rom to test, i would love to find a certain megapopular racing game and its sequel that was made for it,
    every timei ever try i cant find anything , funny that you can find just about every other machine for mame , but for some reason this is near impossible, i wonder why

7. 189
    Ploggy

Ploggy Loyal Member

Apparently Crediar is working on getting that megapopular game and sequel working on the wii ;)
    You can see at the end of the video he released to announce the new dml.

8. 161
    Dark Scyth

Dark Scyth Loyal Member

Yeah, I knew SNESorama shut down about a couple months ago. Didn't help that the domain was .us. Definitely sucked as I was playing Final Fantasy X and then a friend told me about International (International Sphere Grid, Dark Aeon Battles [PAL version got the battles but not the NTSC-U]), I didn't have it so I scurried the internet to find it, first place I wanted to check was the Master List from SNESorama but they were shut down. I finally found it somewhere else and then it turns out it was Undub(Nothing wrong with that but I would of preferred English), if it was SNESorama they would of told me if it were an undub or not, unlike where I went to.

9. 151
    VriskaBlack

VriskaBlack Loyal Member

Oh no! I seriously liked SnesORama, it had some great links for aquiring hard to find games. RIP.

10. 0
    dangwoot

dangwoot Guest

damnit that sucks ass i used to frequent there back in the day :(

11. 1,232
    Misfit

Misfit Loyal Member

All I can say is, contribution to the SS section and schmups. Farewell SOR

12. 6
    kthx0r

kthx0r Loyal Member

'Twas a great website. RIP.

13. 142
    random#guy

random#guy Loyal Member

I went there a few times, but to be honest, I didn't like it that much. Always found EP to me more organized, although for me personally, Vimm's Lair trumps them all.

14. 134
    [C*]

[C*] Loyal Member

The Master Lists were monumental in preserving and cataloguing the cultural works (and zeitgeists in the form of magazine scans) of countless retro games consoles. The gaming world's equivelant of the burning of the great library of Alexandria. :(.

15. 780
    xPreatorianx

xPreatorianx Loyal Member

Home Page:
    http://deviant-generation.com/
    Well that explains why everytime I tried to connect to the site to look for something, it would give me a "connection was reset" in Firefox. I haven't tried it since those errors but there's really no point now. It's officially dead so I don't really care what error it shows.

Well it was fun while it lasted. Definitely an amazing site, and one that is gonna be missed!

16. 1,232
    Misfit

Misfit Loyal Member

I joined in 2007 after some Jap SS titles, I can say that a hell of allot of work went in to preserving SOR with members constantly re-uploading and contributing new/old iso's. Peoples requests where alwaya fulfilled as I believe the majority of members had a crapload of originals to contribute. The site was what it was with a member list dedicated to gaming and taking the feel of "Piracy" away regardless of the content. The chatbox was always good for a laugh

17. 4,102
    gDrive

Home Page:
    I also joined there back in March 2009 under the "aha360" alias, before the birth of the gDrive alias :)p) as I wanted to get some rare PSone/Dreamcast (GDI - full blown ~1.3GB dumps) titles and I felt that I had to give something back recently, so I did the odd upload here and there for them last year and just recently before the MegaDebacle (2011 was the year that I became more active in the forum world as a whole as I have more free time now).

18. 867
    Bartholomy

Bartholomy Loyal Member

DMCA+Megafuckover (gdrive docet) = goodbye freedom, and more and more website disappearing. So pathetic and sad. Was a great website. R.I.P.

19. 59
    cybernetic sin

cybernetic sin Loyal Member

This is what pisses me off. Why was I the only one who didn't know about this site way back when. I was looking for PS2 Sengoku Basara 1 last year, which was close to finding a Gold Bar in your backyard. Not only did SNESORama have it, they had everything I could think of and more. I had no choice but to create an account and bookmark it in 3 different browsers that same day. Man, this is shitty news.

20. 1
    Uncertain

Uncertain Loyal Member

I concur. Feels like I lost something really close to me, no joke -
    That was my GO TO place for like everything PS2 and SNES related.
    Sooo many bookmarks.. the done and the unfinished. Sigh!

SnesOrama You Shall Be Missed.