hit tracker

Some Guidelines on Buying/Selling

Discussion in 'General Buy / Sell / Trade' started by Digital-Spooker, Sep 15, 2011.

1. 891
    Digital-Spooker

Digital-Spooker Loyal Member

Student.
    Since Gary has yet to make a Sticky I figured I would write up a quick thread on things people can do to protect themselves from being taken from a ride (and legally!)

The Seller:
    This is what you should provide if selling ANYTHING

Console:
    Pictures: Take a picture of every major angle of the console, front, back, top bottom, take close ups of any damage such as cracks in the casing etc. also provide pictures of any games, and accessories you're providing with the console

Description: Describe the console clearly, any major scuffs, any cracks in the casing, as much as you can remember about the history of the console, was it dropped? jarred? or did it stay securely on a shelf the entire time you've had it. List any problems, such as a broken BD drive, list any and all problems, then go on to list the firmware, be absolutely clear if it's coming with the latest OFW, or 3.41/3.55OFW or which CFW it is (if you can remember).

List any and all accessories, are you just selling the console but not providing any controllers, or are you providing 4 controllers and a charging base for the controllers? are you throwing games in with your listing? are you giving people the option to add certain games for a reasonable price? be CLEAR about this.

Also be clear on how the console will be shipped, will it be by standard post? will it be by UPS/FEDEX? will you be willing to deliver the console or allow the person to pick it up?

Games
    If you're selling your used games, take a picture of the Case, so people can see if it has cracks, be honest about that, take a picture of the front and back, allow people to see the condition of the manual, and most importantly take pictures of the disc, there's nothing worse than buying a game only to discover there's a chip in the data side (the side that contains the 'graphic' of the disc) and not being able to use it, also take a picture of the 'shiny side' so people can see if there are any scratches or scuff marks on the disc.

As with the console, provide a receipt from the store if the person asks for it.

Computers/ipods etc/
    Similar to the Console, document any and all damages, scuffs, go into detail about the parts, what's the graphics card, information about the Power Supply, RAM etc.

With regards to ipods:
    iPods: will you be clearing it blank or will there be some songs provided on it?

iTouch/iPhone: what's the iOS version on it, is it jailbroken or not?

again a receipt from the store should be provided if you have it, follow the 'rules' for receipts I talk about at the end of this document.

The Buyer:
    As someone who is going to be purchasing a console from someone, there's one thing you need to realize, that most people don't know, and that is buying something stolen IS a crime, so you'll be charged, lose the console, AND have lost your money, I'll detail the things you should do so if something happens and the console is stolen, you can provide proof you have done everything reasonable to ensure that it was a legitimate purchase.

Firstly if you need to see more pictures of the console don't be afraid to ask, don't forget, the seller is trying to sell the console to you, if you need to see things a bit better they should be more than happy to provide additional pictures, alternatly if you both are in the same city or are close, you can arrange a meeting in a public area or their house to check out the console yourself.

Ask about the condition of any controllers, or accessories, if games are being provided, or you're buying them, ask for pictures of the disc (don't be afraid to ask for a 'timestamp' a simple slip of paper containing your forum username will let you know this isn't a google image) to ensure they will work.

Ask about shipping methods, especially if the seller didn't make it clear in the listing, if you want, you can ask to pick it up, if you're close enough, why pay for shipping, when you can get it yourself.

the MOST IMPORTANT thing to ask for as a seller, is a picture of the receipt, unaltered, so the seller shouldn't have blanked out the store name or anything, the reason you want to ask for this is, if the console is stolen, and the police do track it to you, you can show them the receipt and prove to them you took reasonable precautions to ensure it was not stolen. Most people will keep their receipts for consoles, especially if they have things such as extended warranties, however, should the seller not be able to find the receipt, a simple hand written one, along with an assurance that the console is not stolen, will suffice, the hand written receipt should also include the sellers name/address as well, just for record keeping.

While Documenting may seem like you don't trust each other, it's just smart business, everything gets documented, everyone gets protected and it just makes for a better selling experience over all.

P.S: About the receipt, the seller doesn't need to add the picture to the listing, but only provide it on a per request basis, however if you can't find the receipt or bought the console used or got it as a gift and no receipt exists, be sure to state that, and explain you will be willing to write out a hand-receipt with the information I talked about above.

following these basic guidelines, you should have no issues selling your used consoles/games, and you should have even less issues in buying them.

If anyone wants, I can go further into detail, and put together a sample 'listing' as a seller, so you can see what it should properly look like, I will do a mock-listing for a console, ipod, and computer, and games upon request. I'll also provide a sample of questions I personally ask when ever buying something from a seller online.

2. 72
    Ant Davis

Ant Davis Loyal Member

s
    This is a great guide. I wish every person selling stuff on craigslist followed these guidelines, too, instead of just putting up posts like:

"I'm selling my fat ps3/xbox360/laptop/whatever. It works great. Call me at this number [person can't be bothered with emails!]" No serial number, No information on firmware. No picture!

3. 4,102
    gDrive

gDrive Not Your Mommas Tranny Clean-Up Crew

Home Page:
    http://techbliss.org
    @ Digital-Spooker!

What a great, simple, and concise selling/buying guide!

You have done GaryOPA//GriFFin et al a big favor - talk about a Crunching Contribution! :D

Well done! :D

4. 891
    Digital-Spooker

Digital-Spooker Loyal Member

Student.
    I figured that I should go into detail anyway and post up an 'example listing' in this thread just to give people who are more visual learners a good idea.

WOW! my thread got a Sticky, Thanks GaryOPA, glad that people can find this useful! Thanks guys!!

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Example Listing:
    Selling a 120gb PS3 Slim purchased 02.23.2010 from Best Buy, no damage, USB ports in working order, console has sat on a shelf and is cleaned regularly for dust, hasn’t been dropped or jarred. Console is running Bitsbubba’s NFW v3 3.55CFW. Console Serial # is: 1234-56789-ABXYZ

Comes with One (1) Black PS3 controller, in mint condition, no cracks in the casing, and has not been dropped, and is stored in a case when not in use to prevent damage.

Also comes with a copy of UFC 2009 in mint condition, case is in mint condition, with both instruction booklets (English and French), disc has some minor scratches from use, but works perfectly.

Pictures:
    PS3:

Controller:

Game:

Will be shipped either by FedEX or UPS, if in Canada it can be shipped VIA Canada Post, or if you live in the Toronto, Ontario area, pick up is an option as well. Photocopy of Receipt is available upon request and will be supplied with the console upon purchase.

Asking Price: $190; or Best Offer

5. 68
    Mack

Mack Loyal Member

Industrial Electrician
    Keep up the great work man , nice tut. I hope people will stick by these as it helps a lot!

6. 5
    mehaso

mehaso Loyal Member

thanks for the guide, ebay should share thatone also mybe anyone of you should offer:)

7. 1
    a123rc

a123rc Loyal Member

Home Page:
    http://www.a123rc.com/
    This is good guidelines for sales;a picture of the receipt is the most important to buyers.
    I'll agree with all of that,nice work!!!