hit tracker

Sony agrees to $15 Million Payout in regard to the PSN hack

Discussion in 'PlayStation Gaming News' started by GaryOPA, Jun 18, 2014.

By GaryOPA on Jun 18, 2014 at 4:30 PM
  1. 25,222
    GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
    Design Eng.
    Home Page:
    http://www.O-P-A.biz
    Plus FREE PS3 Games in PlayStation Breach Settlement and THREE Months of PS+ Service

Sony has agreed to pay $15 million to users of its services impacted by its massive 2011 data breach and nearly month-long outage of its popular PlayStation Network and Qriocity music service in 2011.

[​IMG]

Its been over 3 years since the huge PSN Security Breach that saw over 70 million people lose their Credit Card info and other personal details and PSN was shutdown for over a month to fix up the network and their servers, now the final outcome from many lawsuits has been settled and Sony has agreed to almost $15 million dollar payout plus will offer up some free PS3 games and three months of their PS+ service.

So what do you think, is this a good agreement, and how where you effected by the PSN Security Breach back in 2011?

NEWS SOURCE: Sony Agrees To $15 Million Payout, Free PS3 Games In PlayStation Breach Settlement (via) CRN

Comments

Discussion in 'PlayStation Gaming News' started by GaryOPA, Jun 18, 2014.

1. 4,415
      JonathanD

JonathanD Loyal Member

"how where you effected by the PSN Security Breach back in 2011?"

I never put my CC info into a game system... Just don't trust them at all.

So I was never effected at all, the best policy in this case is the fewer places you put your CC info the fewer vectors for a leak of said info you have.

It astounds me when I am at my mother in laws house, she will randomly just shop on the internet.... Cool web page is selling "Super Granny!!!!" T-Shirts? Here order it for me!!! lol

When I asked about it she says "It's OK if they try to charge something I don't want, I will do a charge back or dispute." I guess I am lazy and would rather avoid the problem in the first place?

On the main story, I really do feel Sony should pay out the nose for this breach. If your collecting AND storing that information you better be damned sure it is secure. Really it should not be stored, each purchase should require at least some info being reentered into the system. I would say the last 4 of the card and the security code would be enough to keep things secure. In case of a breach all they would get would be like the first 12 numbers on the card with a name and possible billing address. (Even that much info kind of makes me weary.)

2. 6,626
      tech3475

tech3475 Loyal Member

I think it would be better to entirely replace the way things are handled now.

For example, using tokens instead of having the website store the information.

Scenario 1:

You go to e.g. Amazon and enter your CC, instead of Amazon storing the details they're instead issued a token by the provider.

That token can only work on Amazon and so if the tokens are ever compromised it isolates the possibility of fraud and the tokens can be instantly invalidated.

Scenario 2:

Say you go to a lesser known site.

Instead of entering the details into that site, they could instead have a code generator which you then separately enter into the CC/DC providers site (not a popup or in window but you manually go to their site) who then authorise the transaction and possibly give a token (which you can give/refuse permission) as well as a final summary of the order.

If the site is found to be fraudulent it also allows for blacklisting and the site doesn't have your financial details. Although people would need to be educated on this matter.

Obviously there are holes even in my idea, but overall I think this in the long term would help to reduce fraud, at least when it comes to financial details assuming you don't use the same passwords or have malware.

JonathanD likes this.
    3. 556
      Z3R0B4NG

Z3R0B4NG Loyal Member

I laughed my ass off at Sony's incompetence and kept playing Xbox 360 and PC instead.

they deserved every negative news post they got out of this.

that is how it affected me.

$2500 for actual identity theft cases seems very limited, what if there have been thefts way over that?
      i doubt they will pay out anything either, because... how the hell do you get documentation that this theft was from that exact leak?
      Did any of these guys ever get caught? I don't think so but then i might have missed that news post...

JonathanD and billysastard like this.
    4. 1,086
      Anil8tr

Anil8tr Loyal Member

This. I don't even own credit cards anymore. Paid those damn things off years ago and refuse to ever use them again. I'll never store my debit card info on any game system network. That's what the monetary cards are for. But, at least, I got some crappy games I would have never paid for in the first place out of the deal. That more than makes up for the ineptitude of Sony's network security doesn't it??

JonathanD likes this.
    5. 26,553
      Xenogears V

Xenogears V Senior Helper Clean-Up Crew

Every year same sh*t.

6. 4,415
      JonathanD

JonathanD Loyal Member

I actually like this idea a LOT!

To expand on it just a little, the tokens could even be single purchases for a set amount encrypted. Generated local on the machine your CC info would never need to be transmitted completely only to the card issuing company.

Maybe a two token crypto system like public key crypto. Your public key then the one you send to buy something that is generated at the sale time. A third token crypto key could be sent to the CC company and they would exchange some sort of verification.

Yeah it's far from perfect as you say but the hoops you would need to jump through to compromise it are insane. Would require pretty much a compromise on the victims machine. (Harder to compromise 100,000 PC's than it is to compromise 1 server and just siphon off the info....)

7. 4,415
      JonathanD

JonathanD Loyal Member

I doubt this is the last time we will hear about this story.

8. 1,232
      Misfit

Misfit Loyal Member

Pre paid vouchers are the safe bet with psn and these have existed since day 1. I feel a bit guilty about pretending to care about what happened with PSN 3 years ago. Let's get a bit more legit about who really was legit back then,,,,