hit tracker

Sony: It's impossible to do complete PS3 firmware testing

Discussion in 'PlayStation Gaming News' started by Zeus, Nov 14, 2009.

By Zeus on Nov 14, 2009 at 12:32 PM
  1. 11,051
    Zeus

Zeus MaxConsole News Team

Home Page:
    http://www.maxconsole.com
    Sony has commented that they definitely read all feedback across selected forums and their own websites. However, they also noted that they can not do complete testing for their PS3 firmware because you just never know how things will work it when a lot of people have it.

<blockquote>
    “We absolutely read all the feedback that we see on our blog when we do firmware updates. We have people who look across different forums and different sites. And we also do our own testing – some very extensive testing..â€

“But in some cases, we can’t do complete testing because you never quite know how things will work until users have it.â€</blockquote>

News Source: <a href="http://playstationlifestyle.net/2009/11/13/psn-director-talks-firmware-roadmap-cross-game-voice-chat/" target="_blank">Playstationlifestyle</a>

Comments

Discussion in 'PlayStation Gaming News' started by Zeus, Nov 14, 2009.

1. 362
      Eggman72

Eggman72 Loyal Member

Hmm that fills you with confidence.....

2. 2
      bizychild

bizychild Loyal Member

<blockquote>
      “We absolutely read all the feedback that we see on our blog when we do firmware updates. We have people who look across different forums and different sites. And we also do our own testing – some very extensive testing..â€

“But in some cases, we can’t do complete testing because you never quite know how things will work until users have it.â€</blockquote>

Well, duh. What kind of software projects ship with "complete testing" and no bugs? Could Sony do a better job of testing its firmware? Sure, but unless we know their processes, we don't know at what additional costs this testing would bring.

3. 3,798
      iLLNESS

iLLNESS Loyal Member

HV Industrial Electrician, Mechanic + Emergency Re
      additional costs? that doesnt matter. i bet it costs them more money to re-release a firmware then it does to test the first one.

and sony is bullshitting. every single bug that been in every release of sonys firmware has been discovered within like an hour of release. its usually the first thing someone tries on the firmware and it doesnt work.
      sony just doesnt give a ****

4. 6,626
      tech3475

tech3475 Loyal Member

Have you noticed that Sony have started marketing better recently? It means that they got rid of the complete thick ****s and must have clearly moved them elsewhere.

If Sony admit that problems can arise then they shouldn't make certain updates mandatory and/or give the option to downgrade to the previous version.

5. 7,336
      ThreeDog

ThreeDog Loyal Member

Both sony and nintendo appear to have entered a period of honesty and evaluation, It's refreshing to see them pay attention to the community and hopefully not repeat the same mistakes in future.

6. 2,829
      xllzerollx

xllzerollx Loyal Member

this is the part he needed to say.

" since we cant fully test it, we wont charge you to fix your ps3 if our fw breaks it"

like it happened to my ps3

7. 8,169
      msanchez

msanchez Loyal Member

I do enjoy honesty from these companies. Things like Phil saying rumble was last gen, or others such as examples didn't really put me in an uproar like most, and to a certain point I totally understand why they have to say some things, but it's nevertheless bothers me when they think we are soooo stupid that we can't see the truth...... well I guess there are a few who can totally blind themselves to any and all reason.

8. 5,961
      DEDDOA

DEDDOA Loyal Member

If they reduced the frequency of their updates, they would have much more time to test them, instead of the near monthly approach they have now. Either that or much like they did with the store, if the update isn't needed for games, then it should be entirely optional instead of all or nothing as we have with the current approach.

9. 417
      waldog

waldog BANNED FOREVER

^ That. .......

10. 2,358
      QrafTee

QrafTee Loyal Member

So you're saying the bi-monthly updates from Microsoft via Microsoft Update are bad too?

Each one of the Big 3 can't get their **** straight whether it is hardware or software... it's a shame. I hope they get their act together next-gen. At least Sony didn't pull a Nintendo and blame "modders."

11. 25,171
      GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
      Design Eng.
      Home Page:
      http://www.O-P-A.biz
      Maybe sony should take a page out of the M$ play book, and have banks of people playing games on rows of machines, and only release one or two major updates a year.

Instead of one guy in a room playing around with the firmware, and releasing a new version every 2 weeks.

Ugh!

12. 5,961
      DEDDOA

DEDDOA Loyal Member

No i'm saying if there was more time between firmware updates then they would have more time to test them, it's common sense that if you release frequently you can't spend as much time testing as you would if you release less often, bi monthly is certainly better tho. You may also want to look at the number of firmware updates the PS3 has had since launch, it equates to about 1 a month, that leaves very little time for testing.

13. 1,316
      GT-RRR

GT-RRR Loyal Member

And just what do you care?

You obviously don't own, associate, or even have any part of Sony hardware, so why the **** do you give a ****?

Anyway, all the little kids who pretty much ride and depend on firmware updates are sad, I enjoy what I have, and if a firmware update comes out with more customisation features and additions, then that's a plus for me, but I don't sit there waiting for a firmware release and ***** about it because it doesn't have EVERY SINGLE feature that they want, for **** sake be happy with what you have.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2009
    14. 115
      ChaosKiller

ChaosKiller Loyal Member

As a programmer I can say that it is NOT possible to test everything unless you let a large number of people use it for a long period and even then you don't get every bug. If millions of people use it and report the bugs they find it gets fixed much sooner and easier. When someone reports a bug with details what the problem is then you know where to look and find it. This means that a new firmware can be released fairly quick. Do some research before you bash.

15. 8,169
      msanchez

msanchez Loyal Member

As far as I know ms has been bricking consoles with their updates since day one, both modded and unmodded. I don't think any of the three have done a particularly good job when it comes to fimware updates, but both ms and ninty have gone the extra mile by, apparently, going after modded consoles to limit/brick them..... and sometimes taking down unmodded ones (at least according to what rumors/reports say)

16. 25,171
      GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
      Design Eng.
      Home Page:
      http://www.O-P-A.biz
      Well to be honest, my main job is repairing consoles, and I see tons of consoles per week.

As for M$ ones, I have never see a bricked console, I had one were the update failed and was looping, but it was due to combo problem, both the HDD and DVD drive were failing, fixed it by just plugging on a new HDD with the latest update and it finished it.

As for Nintendo, that one seems to have the most bricks, which are caused by four factors, one bad soft-mod installs, two failed wifi update (as weak wifi signal, can have drop-outs, and Nintendo is aimed at wifi only!), three bad bluetooth card (looks like console is brick, replace it and it is up and running), four bad wifi card (same as bluetooth, replace it and it is unbrick).

As for Sony, bricking is rare, I see less of those then any other console, but glitchs, freezing, random bugs, sync problems, corrupted saves, weird thophys, etc. -- Tons of little weird problems, or plan and simple "bugs" in their untested rush firmware, needing another update in a week or two.

That was the whole point of this article, at least the other two consoles when an update comes it either adds working, well tested features, or just blocks exploit holes. -- M$ even on big updates, gives it out to a select group of "beta" testers (real gaming everyday people), before rolling it out across the globe. -- Sony just plays with the firmware, sends it out, and then waits for people to complain, then sends out another one, and so on. -- Plain stupid, ugh!

17. 7,336
      ThreeDog

ThreeDog Loyal Member

They've all done a bad job each console has been bricking from release, feels like we're in the age of motherboards ten years ago they're all so worried about cost effectiveness they won't even bother to put in a proper backup for brick prevention, what sets them all apart is the way they handle warranty repairs and even data loss associated with the process.

I know there are worries about downgrading and the complexities of preventing it should something useful be found but would it be so hard to store the last known successful flash after its been verified working?

Another point that rings true is it really is impossible to test a firmware properly, Every time Sony releases a new console revision the old ones suffer in the first joint update, there has always been a .1 after these updates. Makes you wonder if Sony could only offer refurbs for these older revisions so early on, how many of them do they have themselves?

18. 6,014
      grapeape

grapeape Loyal Member

Consultant
      Maybe people around me are just lucky but I have yet to see a "bricking" that wasnt brought on by the user...I did have a glitch early on with the PS3 and an update but it was an easy fix that I could do myself. Most of the "innocent" brickings and bannings I have heard about tend to be a story about the friend of someones distant relative or a friend of a a friend...half of those end up being exposed as bs.

19. 3,209
      Trashcat

Trashcat Loyal Member

Lies! sony puts by far the biggest effort into beta-testing firmware with over 27million beta-testers and counting.