hit tracker

Sony: PS3 will pass Xbox 360, MS messed up their chance

Discussion in 'Xbox Gaming News' started by Zeus, Feb 3, 2010.

By Zeus on Feb 3, 2010 at 10:54 AM
  1. 11,051
    Zeus

Zeus MaxConsole News Team

Home Page:
    http://www.maxconsole.com
    Sony has revealed that they are supremely confident that their PS3 system will surpass the Xbox 360. Moreover, they believe that MS effectively messed up their chances to 'sprint ahead' with the console war. A fair reflection?

<blockquote>Sony's senior VP of marketing and PSN boss Peter Dille says they're closing in fast on Microsoft and the Xbox 360; won't need 10 years.

While not predicting anything, says Dille, "we'll pass them" and adds Microsoft missed their opportunity to "sprint as far ahead" as possible.

"I'm confident we'll be around in 10 years and I can say that because we've done it twice. PS3 will be around in 10 years and probably much longer than that," said Dille in an interview with IGN, asked if PS3 will overtake Xbox 360 sales.</blockquote>

News Source: <A href="http://www.strategyinformer.com/news/6870/sony-is-breathing-down-microsofts-neck-ps3-to-pass-xbox-360" target="_Blank">SI</a>

Comments

Discussion in 'Xbox Gaming News' started by Zeus, Feb 3, 2010.

1. 5,961
      DEDDOA

DEDDOA Loyal Member

Yose sales have to be maintained, if they are not then it's just more idle speculation

You could also speculate that if MS had held back 12 months and released a more reliable console, it would be doing even better now, especially given the fact that it would have launched at nigh on £150 less, had more games support (the 12 months would have still meant the games that were available int he first 12 months would be available at launch) yadda yadda.

Thats all speculation again tho tho, just as the whole if the PS3 had not been held back that it would have been in 2nd place, tho I still suspect that the OTT pricing up until recently would have still gimped their sales into 3rd place, tho they would likely not have been so far behind.

2. 2,115
      dsav

dsav Loyal Member

who cares.

i don't see ps3 passing 360 anytime soon.

not too mention ps3 software sales ever being better than 360's, other than here an there at best.

i just laughed when uncharted 2 didn't even make the top 20 or whatever the folllowing month of it's release.

fucking pathetic.

not trying to sound like a fanboy at all, just stating a fact.

nuff said.

3. 209
      weeboo

weeboo Loyal Member

tldr it at all because i sense a troll in it, but where the hell you get 39 million? is this one of your estimate again or from your trusted source vgcharts. if you just goin to compare that 39 million, why dont use the one for ps3 sale too that vgcharted reported...? its kinda stupid making comparison that way. if you check what vgcharts has for ps3 and the one from sony, theyre completely different so do you think you can trust vgcharts reported sales for xbox360...?

lets stop saying this **** over and over again," people bought ps3 for bluray player use... thats why sony sold more.. because i bet before all consumers who bought this **** device know whats playstation is and if they dont, theyve been informed where they bought this device from what it can do. if they bought it, they accept all its features. if they didnt, they got other bluray player. im tired of this reason because its like saying those people who bought those expensive CPU, motherboard, gfx, (highend specs) only use it for gaming.... you know cinema 4d ,3d max, maya, video productions and server use high end computers.

before youre goin to spit this crap out, that consumers bought ps3 for bluray. why dont ask yourself of reason why people buy 360 other than it has huge game library... piracy. i wouldnt get into because alot of people will say disagree with me, but who the fck these guy kidding anyway. whats these guys purpose anyway to have a spares of 360. rrod? common, i bought mine last year and ivent gotten it. speaking of rrod, do you think RROD didnt play a partof the console sale of 360..?

anyway, i want legit figures from m$... go find me one that they said they had that 39 million sales.... thats the only time we could compare waht sony has.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2010
    4. 1,199
      DanASBO

DanASBO Loyal Member

From the article:

"We can be passionate fans, but I don't think they'll be around in 10 years so I'm very confident we'll pass them within that time frame. I mean, we've got 31 million worldwide right now -- they've got 39 million. I don't even need to go out 10 years."

This thread is so full of fail.

5. 1,113
      beterweter

beterweter Loyal Member

do you even bother reading?
      where does it say i get it from my trusted vg charts?

go on and re-read my posts nitwit.

i really don't know why i bother anymore,selective reading is a serious disease.:rolleyes:

6. 1,817
      sirxlaughs

sirxlaughs Loyal Member

Did you read the interview on IGN? The one who said 39 million was the Sony rep.

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/106/1065686p4.html

edit: Dan beat me to it.

7. 1,113
      beterweter

beterweter Loyal Member

nice edit,nice saying they buy it for piracy,

k lets talk rrod and how many get reaplacepment consoles from microsoft and not just the few hardcore gamers like myself who go and buy a new 360 instantly.
      not everyone has to rebuy a 360 when it rrod's on them.

if you look at the salesnumbers for the games i would say that piracy on the 360 is greatly exaggerated,its just us "the freaks" who spend our days snuggling every site to find more new stuff and as much as we can.
      it shure as hell looks like we are millions but infact we are only a small percentage.
      alot of people still want to keep their warranty and don't rust modding.

now lets talk gamesales shall we.
      i think we can establish by comparing salesnumbers that the ps3 sells alot less games then the 360 and that the 360 gets bought as a gamesconsole more then a dvd player.
      you can get these numbers fairly quickly and are easy to compare,they are all on one page you can easilmy find and i'm not going to link it again for the 100th time,but i can tell you its not on vgcharts.

so now go and do your homework and maybe i will do the effort of answering your post again.

and now point me again where i said i got it from vg charts as you forgot to edit that...again you never read my posts completely and you seem to think your talking to trancehead.

8. 711
      trancehead

trancehead Loyal Member

Laboratory Technician
      http://www.maxconsole.net/forums/showthread.php?t=146133
      sony hits 33million consoles world wide
      closing the gap
      :D
      at the end of the day, i dont really care whos "winning"
      as long as they dont stop producing games for either console, i'm happy.
      i was drinking last night and wanted to stir you guys up (which was pretty easy)
      then by the end i figured i'd retract some of what i said anyways.
      you guys had some good points.
      except for the tiger woods analogy, strokes per hour where the phuck did come from. horrible analogy.
      a better analogy would of been if tiger starts and you start after tiger has sunk 9 holes at 1 under par each
      and you start playing and you sink 2 under par on each, after 3 holes your 6 under and tiger would be on hole 12 at 12 under. youre playing the better game and will eventually pass him.
      but meh, who cares.

9. 1,817
      sirxlaughs

sirxlaughs Loyal Member

In golf, it doesn't matter who starts first. If you're playing an 18 hole game, then it ends after you've done your 18 holes. If I start after he's done 9 holes, I still need to play 18. If I'm sinking 2 under par vs Tiger's 1 under par, I'd be playing better than him. It compares total strokes (like total sales), instead of something like average strokes/hour (like average sales/month).
      If you don't care who's winning, then why even bother posting the recent Maxconsole post (that doesn't even have a source attached to it)?
      Now that you're out of argument, it's "pff, I don't care anyway." Okie dokie then.

10. 711
      trancehead

trancehead Loyal Member

Laboratory Technician
      LOL, someone needs to remove that bug from your arse. seriously.
      and yes it compares total stokes after they both played the same amount of holes!!!!
      is that something you dont get.
      your comparing scores of a 9 hole game to the scores of a 18 hole game
      get it?
      sony have only played 3\4ths of the holes xbox360 have

11. 1,817
      sirxlaughs

sirxlaughs Loyal Member

I'm starting to understand why Cue became your cheerleader in this thread. You both don't like losing arguments.
      I got your analogy, but it assumes that I'm already a better golfer than Tiger Woods. The point of my analogy is that I can only beat Tiger Woods by altering the rules of the game. Kind of like how you flipped Sony into second place by altering the rules of placement.

12. 711
      trancehead

trancehead Loyal Member

Laboratory Technician
      LOL, in any case.
      it's not like i'm making any money out of sony's or microsofts sales anyway.
      i just think to say xbox is "killing" sony in sales (wasnt said in this thread, but i've seen it said in another thread) is wrong. it may have been true at one stage, but it's a different ball game now.
      at the end of the day i have respect for both consoles, even the wii to a certain degree. i think it was smart how nintendo resold the gamecube with a motion controller LOL.
      i agree sony are last in total sales.
      but i also think you cant ignore the fact that sony are catching and have a possibility to pass microsoft in upcoming months.
      i respect your opinion at the end of the day, like i said before, you bought up some good points. but the headline isnt all wishful thinking.
      sony could pass microsoft if they play it right.

13. 1,817
      sirxlaughs

sirxlaughs Loyal Member

None of what you just said was in dispute. No one is ignoring the fact that the PS3 is picking up it's pace. What's funny is the typical PR nonsense coming out of these exec's mouths. Last year, the 360 was reportedly ahead by about 8 million units. Then Sony came out and said Microsoft were lying and that the gap was closer. This year, a Sony exec comes out and says they're behind by about 8 million units. So, technically, nothing changed. That's why I said it's safer to think that the 360 and PS3 are at a stalemate right now. The other thing the PR execs don't talk about is that even if they capture a greater market share, it'll be like PS1 vs N64. The PS1 destroyed the N64 in terms of market share. Nintendo, on the other hand, destroyed Sony in terms of profit. How many years can Playstation operate on losses? The headline is slightly wishful thinking b/c it assumes that while Playstation continues to adapt and grow, that Microsoft will just be sitting around doing nothing.

14. 2,211
      Cue

Cue Loyal Member

so when you happen to agree with someone you are their cheerleader. nice.
      I guess your DanASBOs cheerleader then. Have you ever thought that maybe you have an xbox live mentality? insult then continue making posts about how anybody who doesn't agree with you is wrong but can't admit 'losing'.

all from a small specific statement.
      "2nd place...in consoles per month."
      that he/she even clarified later.

btw there is no game so nobody changed the rules. it was just a little fact made about PS3 sales being better that spawned out into a game because somebody didn't like the fact that statement placed their console of choice third in some arbitrary game. saying total sales is the game we should play, trance saying sales rate is a better indication of performance because of the time gap. neither of them being wrong exactly but one person was insisting on who should get the bronze medal with disguised insults all for second place in a game they're not taking part in and all from one small factual comment about sales rate.
      ironically that post was one of the few on topic posts saying exactly what this PR statement is about: 360 was the only current gen console on the market for a year but its sales rate was and to this day continues to be the lowest of the three so they did not dominate and now that chance of building a sizeable lead without competition is gone.

exactly what the PR statement is about. yet to that particular someone else the PR statement was somehow ironic because they are third.
      it would only be ironic if their sales rate was the lowest. if they weren't third in total sales how on earth could they even make a statement about catching up? illogical bullsh*t that probably comes from his misconception that PS3 sales are performing badly. The point that trance was making: its not.

or in snippet form
      1) Post about the irony of being third (without saying third in what) which is illogical depending what he was referring to, total or rate.
      2) logical post about who is actually second in sales rate
      3) my console is not third. even sony know it.
      4) thread bursts into flames

I knew I shouldn't of entered this flamebait thread but consider me unsubscribed now. I've also got a good idea, next time don't reply to me.

15. 1,817
      sirxlaughs

sirxlaughs Loyal Member

Thanks for posting. I no longer feel the need to point out how terrible your reading and interpretation skills are. Trancehead and I (I think) have resolved our differences. You can put your pom-poms away. The game is over.

16. 1,113
      beterweter

beterweter Loyal Member

mwoehahahaha!!! sirxlaughs : 1 - cue : 0

17. 382
      taiki

taiki Loyal Member

Christ, Sony's official numbers DO say 31 Million

3.5 + 10.1 + 9.1 + 6.5 + 3.2 + 1.1 ... Actually totals out to 33.5 million consoles shipped until FY Q3 09 with Q4 ending on March 31st.

These are large heartless corporations. Who cares who's console sold more?

What matters most is who's charging you for substandard online full of racist, sexist, and homophobic idiots? Who's charging you 50 bucks a year to use Netflix/Twitter/Facebook? Who doesn't care you didn't spend 40 bucks on their wireless headset? Who's the one who's charging you 80 bucks to play wirelessly?

Christ people.

Edit:

I sense that some people are going to be confused by my numbers.

3.5, 10.1 and 9.1 are for Sony's FY end totals for 06, 07, and 08. 1.1, 3.2, and 6.5 are per-quarter FY 09 numbers. When FY09 ends I expect to see a drop off in Q4 sales but still higher than any other pre 09 FY 09 Q3 period.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2010
    18. 711
      trancehead

trancehead Loyal Member

Laboratory Technician
      yes, we have resolved our differences mate.
      it seems you figured out what my woman loves and hates about me as well.
      i dont lose arguements, even when i do. :D

19. 6,199
      Retroboy

Retroboy Banned MaxConsole Troll BANNED FOREVER

I sell online ads for a living, but love to compla
      Jolly Old England, The Land of the Trolls
      Home Page:
      http://www.retrojunkies.karoo.net
      im 80% sure that the PS3 will still keep going even when MS release its next gen system, look at how strong the PS2 was still going EVEN against the PS3.

Same with PSX, sony arent like MS and NintenDOUGH and end console support just because theyve released a new system, lol and ppl claimed Sony was forcing things onto its customers, lol whats a console worth if theres no support FORCED TO FOLLOW THE SHEEP!

20. 1,817
      sirxlaughs

sirxlaughs Loyal Member

The thing with Sony's "support" is that they basically kept the PS2 on life support, and allowed third party developers to keep making games for it. That's all well and good for people looking for a cheap system to play some games on. Nintendough (I see what did there, haha), has Gamecube support built into their overclocked Gamecube. Microsoft just wanted to move on and establish themselves as quickly as possible, which ended up being like a double-edged sword for them. I completely agree that Sony will, in all likelihood, maintain a similar life support system for the PS3 once the next big thing rolls out. There are theories running around that one of the reasons Microsoft forces developers to use the Directx API on all 360 games is to establish a standard for future backwards compatibility.