hit tracker

"Special"-FRIENDLY TUTORIAL: Blu-Ray Movie Backup/Playback on a CFW PS3 via multiMAN

Discussion in 'PS3 Modding Tutorials' started by gDrive, Dec 29, 2012.

1. 4,102
    gDrive

gDrive Not Your Mommas Tranny Clean-Up Crew

Home Page:
    http://techbliss.org
    Requirements:

- A CFW PS3 with a working Blu-Ray reader (a must-have if you don't have a PC Blu-ray reader, but then you will need to FTP the ISO back)
    - A PC Blu-Ray ROM/Rewritable drive (recommended for simplicity)
    - An external HDD that is 2TB or less and is formatted as per multiMAN's/PS3's requirements (correct cluster size/NTFS file format et cetera)
    - A basic Ethernet cable or a Cat5E Ethernet cable for FTP transfer
    - deanK multiMAN version 04.14.00 or later (standard multiMAN or proxyMAN (* Install Package Files-proxy launch version) recommended - not tested on miniMAN (the multiMAN BARE CEX release))
    - SlySoft AnyDVDHD (used in the tutorial - you will see why)
    - Daemon Tools (a disc-image mounting/disc drive emulation program)
    - A USB memory dongle (just as long as it isn't designed like a True Blue Dongle)

Step-By-Step Instructions:

- Section 1. Starting Up multiMAN

1.1. Start up multiMAN (to the butthurt anti-mM haters: you can't do this without multiMAN BAHAHAHAHAHA) - in this tutorial though, this is launched via * /app_home/PS3_GAME, and then holding down the SELECT button as Rogero 4.30-2.03 was used for this tutorial, although most users may prefer the XMB version of multiMAN.

[​IMG]

- Section 2.1: Backing Up A Blu-Ray Movie via multiMAN on the PS3

2.1.1. Once you have inserted a Blu-Ray movie disc into your PS3's disc drive, create an ISO backup of it by pressing the TRIANGLE button while having the Blu-ray movie disc selection highlighted, and then choose "Create ISO"

[​IMG]

2.1.2. Once the ISO backup phase of the process has been completed, you will then need to transfer it back to the PC via FTP (file transfer protocol) - for more information on how to setup your PC/PS3 for FTP, click on the PS3 News FTP Tutorial link here: http://www.ps3news.com/forums/ps3-g...ps3-ftp-via-lan-cable-directly-pc-117598.html

Please note that as the tutorial is written with other clients such as BlackB0x FTP in mind, but even though other FTP clients are mentioned,it is strongly recommended that you must use multiMAN's FTP feature, and enable it with zero timeout, as shown below:

[​IMG]

- Section 2.2: Backing Up A Blu-Ray Movie via AnyDVD HD on the PC

2.2.1. If you have a Blu-Ray reader/writer, you can always simply create an ISO backup of a Blu-Ray movie disc in a similar fashion to the multiMAN method by right-clicking on the AnyDVD HD in the Notification Area (earlier Microsoft Windows OSes have a simpler design/layout than the one shown), and then clicking on "Rip To Image", as shown below, whilst having the "Keep Protection" selection ticked if you are intending to keep the copy protection in case you need it kept in the ISO backup - otherwise, skip to step 2.3.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

- Section 2.3: Decrypting A Blu-Ray Movie Backup via AnyDVD HD on the PC

2.3.1 Once you have made an encrypted ISO disc image backup of your Blu-ray movie disc, you will then have to configure the AnyDVD HD application, as shown in the screenshot below, although for the Default Region settings, you can choose that in accordance to your personal preference.

[​IMG]

2.3.2. Once you have configured the AnyDVD program as mentioned in step 2.3.1, mount the disc image with Daemon Tools as shown below, or if you're making a decrypted disc image backup, then insert a Blu-ray movie disc as mentioned in step 2.2.1, and then once the image mounting is done, or if you inserted a Blu-ray movie disc into the PC Blu-ray drive, then follow step 2.2.1, but this time, the "Keep Protection" selection box must be un-ticked when planning to "Rip To Image", so that you will end up with a decrypted Blu-ray movie backup

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

- Section 3: Transferring the Blu-Ray Movie Backup Files

3.1. After completing the decrypted disc image backup phase, you can now then copy-paste the decrypted Blu-ray movie backup files from a decrypted disc image backup by mounting the disc image to a virtual drive as mentioned in step 2.3.2, creating a dedicated folder for the movie files on your external HDD (e.g. if you have a movie called "The Dark Knight Rises", you may want to call the folder "DKR"), or if you don't have an external HDD that is compatible with multiMAN, then you will need to copy-paste the Blu-ray movie files into a dedicated folder as mentioned eariler in the /dev_hdd0/BDISO/ path via FTP (see step 2.1.2) whilst having the dedicated folder created in multiMAN's mmOS (multiMAN's point-and-click file manager), which is simply done by pressing the CIRCLE button in the /dev_hdd0/BDISO/ path and then selecting the "Create New Folder" option.

3.2. Assuming you have followed step 3.1 and are planning to transfer the backup via the external HDD whilst having your PS3 still running multiMAN, you will then need to allow the application to grant read-only access for the NTFS-formatted external HDD by selecting the "PFS Driver" option whilst having the HDD plugged into the PS3 as shown below:

[​IMG]

3.3. Now that you have granted read-only access for the NTFS-formatted external HDD, you can now simply copy-paste the Blu-ray movie backup from your external HDD, which is named as /pvd_usb000, /pvd_usb001 et cetera, to the /dev_hdd0/BDISO/ path, as shown below:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

- Section 4: Preparing to Play the Movie Backup via multiMAN

4.1. Now that you have copied the movie backup from the external HDD/PC to the PS3, first insert your USB memory dongle into your PS3, and then go into the /dev_hdd0/BDISO/<moviename>/BDMV/ path and then double-click on the index.bdmv file in the aforementioned path, as shown below:

[​IMG]

4.2.1. Once you have done that, you will then be asked whether to "convert Blu-ray file structure to AVCHD format" - choose Yes when prompted.

[​IMG]

4.2.2. Once the format conversion is done, you will then be asked whether to "activate currently selected AVCHD video folder" - choose Yes when prompted - this will then copy the AVCHD folder structure/indexes to the USB memory dongle, and then it will throw you back to the XMB.

[​IMG]

- Section 5: Selecting the multiMAN-mounted Blu-Ray Movie Backup on the XMB

5.1. Once you have exited onto the XMB, you will then need to go to Video > USB Device > AVCHD, as shown below - and from there, you will be able to play your backed up Blu-ray movie via the multiMAN-created AVCHD structure that is now stored onto your USB memory dongle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Note: All Blu-ray backups that have Java files stored in the "BDJO" folder inside the "BDMV" folder cannot be played via this method - The Dark Knight Rises as of the time of writing DOESN'T WORK with this method, although it has been used as an example in this tutorial - the test/example movie will be replaced in this tutorial once I get around to transferring another compatible movie over to the PS3's HDD - The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part I and The Raid are two Blu-ray movies that CAN be played using this method however - and therefore, if you want to play any of the Blu-ray movie backups that HAVE Java files, then you will need to follow this tutorial here: http://www.ps3crunch.net/forum/thre...rom-external-HD-for-PS3-quot-by-PatrickBatman

Also note that this tutorial is only written for those who feel that they can follow picture-based instructions with short sentences more easily than a "big fat wall-of-text"-esque set of instructions, which may be deemed hard to follow for some readers.

Special thanks go to:

- deanK for the multiMAN/multiAVCHD applications [donate to him here: http://tinyurl.com/donate4MM]
    - PatrickBatman for the lengthy/detailed tutorial
    - racer0018 @ PS3News for the FTP tutorial

2. 2,773
    PatrickBatman

PatrickBatman SCENE MOD Loyal Member

I don't know if it's still the case but AnyDVD (if you didn't purchase it, YOU SHOULD ;)) wasn't very nice at accessing the online decryption database for more recent movies ("free version"), I found DVDFab passkey to be more reliable in this regard. Also, pretty much all current blu-rays use JAVA menus :(, but this method is cool and good to know nevertheless.

3. 4,102
    gDrive

Home Page:
    ...and I think now that it is about time that BDISO support should come into multiMAN as standard, seeing as BD-Java is becoming common. :p

4. 388
    dsmalls

dsmalls Loyal Member

Best Thread Title of the year. :D

5. 1,327
    rednekcowboy

rednekcowboy Developer

^^

10 characters

6. 2,773
    PatrickBatman

Best right scroll resolution too big pictures in thread of the year.

7. 4,102
    gDrive

Home Page:
    Don't tell me you're using VGA resolution (640x480) to browse this page? :p

8. 2,773
    PatrickBatman

nope i told you before when you did this 1366x768

9. 4,102
    gDrive

Home Page:
    Oh - I have a 1080p display - but even though I resized them, I thought it would be small enough to see thee writing AND fit on the screen, and the worst thing is: my phone can view this page without side-scrolling but then again, smartphones have reflow/automatic screen fit features.

10. 2
    LKJHGFDSA

LKJHGFDSA Loyal Member

Not exactly "retard-friendly" IMO.

I'm at "Once the ISO backup phase of the process has been completed, you will then need to transfer it back to the PC via FTP"
    Huh?
    I've dumped the disc/made the iso. I got it on my external HDD but it's in parts since it's NTFS (same as internal drive I believe), I can see and copy the files just by USB, but they don't work since they're cut up.
    I've used FTP before, but how do I know where the ISO is? and most importantly, how the f*** do I get Multiman to combine the parts to one?
    The only option when I hit Triangle on the Multiman XMB entry is Play, and the exits the app so it's already contradicting the guide. Multiman says I can view the mounted(?) blu ray under the Video tab on the real XMB but nothing's there.

11. 1,327
    rednekcowboy

rednekcowboy Developer

It's called "retard friendly" not idiot proof..... :p

Why is it people get so worked up when they can't get something to work? Relax and calm down. G will be along soon to answer your questions.

12. 4,102
    gDrive

Home Page:
    The ISO backup you've made in multiMAN would be saved in /dev_hdd0/BDISO if it is a BD movie - and as for transferring it back to the PC, I suggested using FTP for obvious reasons, and by the way, you can't play BD movie ISOs in multiMAN without a Cobra USB dongle

13. 0
    dangwoot

dangwoot Guest

lol due to the recent outbreak of people being offended by something as stupid as being called a retard the thread has been renamed to appease all "retards"

14. 1,327
    rednekcowboy

rednekcowboy Developer

That just takes all the fun out of watching everyone bitch and whine about it though.....:(

15. 4,102
    gDrive

Home Page:
    Well done for bending over to the politically correct ninnies' requests of dumbing down the English language, you "fag"! :p j/k

On a serious note: this is a load of bollocks and I don't understand the word-change at all - if these chickenshit pussies are gonna get offended by just one word that in this case is used for humour-related purposes, then let them jump off a bridge. :p

16. 0
    dangwoot

dangwoot Guest

^ if you don't shape up i'm gonna throw you off a bridge :D

i'm just trying to keep the peace here i'm tired of being at war.

17. 4,102
    gDrive

Home Page:
    Yeah and kudos to you for that but to me, an overreaction is still an overreaction! :p