hit tracker

Stargate NX for Nintendo Switch Official MaxConsole Review

Discussion in 'Official MaxConsole Reviews' started by realtimesave, Feb 19, 2019.

By realtimesave on Feb 19, 2019 at 1:16 PM
  1. 390
    realtimesave

realtimesave MaxConsole Product Reviewer MaxConsole News Team

Yet Another MaxConsole Underground Product Review!
    [​IMG]

Join us now, as RTS (@realtimesave) aka "amptor" aka Dennis Stith, does another one of his great Exclusive Official MaxConsole UnderGround Reviews, this time on recently launched StargateNX product for the Nintendo Switch consoles, that are able to run Team-Xecuter's SX OS.

As we all know, it was some time ago that Nintendo blocked pirates from their servers and also started banning software modified Nintendo Switch systems from downloading anything from their servers. Nintendo had the upper hand for quite some time on pirates but now there is finally a full blown solution to both problems: the Stargate NX.

The Stargate NX is a software service provided to not only get around Nintendo’s console ban for downloads of full version games and their updates, but also allow any soft modded Nintendo Switch to download from Nintendo’s official servers.

How it works.

Before we get started, note that you MUST have your Nintendo Switch console set so that it can connect normally to the Internet. The Stargate NX will NOT work if you are using an alternate DNS service such as 90DNS, its recommended in their manual to just use SX OS 'Stealth Mode' feature to allow proper access to their service.

The Stargate NX is currently only supported by Team Xecuter’s SX pro through SX Installer version 1.4. Installation could not be simpler. Just copy the files included in the compressed archive to the MicroSD memory card, overwriting files when necessary.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

To run Stargate NX, all you have to do is launch SX Installer version 1.4 (it has to be version 1.4 or later, as I tested this with version 1.3 at first on mistake and it would not run so that shows that it does not run on previous versions of SX Installer) and configure it to the “Stargate NX” theme. This will load the Stargate NX theme and service every time SX Installer is launched.

That’s it. A simple installation of two things: SX Installer version 1.4 and the Stargate NX theme for it which includes the Stargate NX download service.

Stargate NX in action.

[​IMG]

The Stargate NX is very simple and intuitive to use. All you have to do is launch it from SX Installer (1.4 or later) and select which option you want to use.

Here is a rundown of the menu items in Stargate NX:
    • Installed – List with icons of all currently installed games on the Switch system.
    • New Games – The full list of games on Nintendo’s servers, ready to be cherry picked and downloaded to the Switch console.
    • Homebrew – List with icons of all currently installed homebrew.
    • Homebrew Store – List of homebrew available for download.
    • File Browser – Displays the cdn for Stargate NX and its port.
    • Search – Search for titles by Region, Language, Category, Content Rating, ESRB Rating, and number of Players.
    • Queue – Display the download queue.
    • Tickets – A list of installed software tickets on the Switch.
    • Dump Title Keys – Dumps all installed software title keys on the Switch.
    • Console – Display of status updates for Stargate NX.
    • Options – A list of options for the SX Installer GUI.
    Let’s start with the first option on the list and then run down each option individually.

Installed

[​IMG]

This simply is a list with icons of all currently installed Nintendo Switch titles on the console. Pressing “A” brings the GUI into a focused list of the games with a red boarder around the currently selected title. Pressing “A” once more launches the title. In this menu, you can change the view by pressing “-“, sort the games with “+”, press “L” to backup saves, press “R” to dump the NSP, “Y” gives information about the game, including its icon, screen shots, publisher, ID, size, and a short description of the game. The “B” button brings the user back to the main menu.

New Games

[​IMG] [​IMG]

This is the full list of games available for download. Pressing “A” brings this menu into focus and from there you can select which title to download or add to queue for downloading.

To download a game, press “A” to select the title you wish to install and then a menu brings the title into focus and you can select from the following options:
    • Install Unsigned Code – Installs a title that uses unsigned code, rather than official retail signed code.
    • Reinstall NCA’s – Re-install NCA’s on the Nintendo Switch.
    • Location – Where to install the title to.
    • Delete After – This option allows you to delete the NSP file from the location you download to if you don’t need to keep it for backing up later.
    • Include All DLC – Downloadable content option to include all of the latest DLC with the game download.
    • Include Latest Update – Downloads the latest update for the game along with the selected title.
    • Install – Installs with the above selected options.
    New DLC

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

This lists new DLC available for currently installed titles. Bring this menu into focus by pressing “A” and then press “A” again to install the selected DLC. Press “B” to go back to the main menu.

Homebrew

[​IMG] [​IMG]

This lists currently installed homebrew applications. Press “A” to bring this menu into focus and then each homebrew selected will have a red border around it. Select the homebrew title to launch and press “A” to launch it or “B” to go back to the main menu.

Homebrew Store

[​IMG]

This is a place to download homebrew for the Nintendo Switch. Currently my switch only displays the SX Installer and the SX Dumper ready for installation. More titles may come at a later time. Press “A” to bring this menu into focus. The selected title will be surrounded entirely in a red border. Press “A” again on the title to install it.

File Browser

[​IMG]

This displays the cdn which contains all of the software titles listed and ready to install. Press “A” to bring this menu into focus. Press “A” again to open the cdn, “Y” to delete it, “X” to add a new cdn, and “B” to go back to the main menu.

Search

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

This useful feature streamlines the ability to search for titles to download to the Switch from the cdn. You can search by Region, Language, Category, Content Rating, ESRB Rating, and number of players. Bring this menu into focus by pressing “A” and then press “A” again on “Search” and it will bring up an on-screen keyboard. Type in the title name you want to search for and then press “OK”. Press “B” to go back to the main menu.

Scroll up to select “New Games” and the list of titles found in search will be displayed there. Follow the above instructions for the “New Games” menu from there to install whichever titles you want.

Queue

[​IMG] [​IMG]

While selecting titles to download, you will be prompted whether or not to download in the background. All background downloads, or “queue” items, will be displayed in a list here.

Tickets

[​IMG]

This menu is where you can list your tickets for all installed Switch titles. Press “A” to bring this menu into focus. Press “B” to go back to the main menu or “X” to delete the selected ticket.

Dump Title Keys

[​IMG]

Dumping title keys is simple, using the SX Installer. Bring this menu into focus by pressing “A”. “Y” dumps all title keys for the installed games. Pressing “B” goes back to the main menu.

Console

[​IMG]

Console displays “console” output for the currently running theme. This is where you can see what the Stargate NX has been doing since you launched it.

Options

[​IMG]

This is the options menu for SX Installer.

Let’s test this software package out.

For this test, I am using a banned Nintendo Switch system running version 6.2.0 firmware and Team Xecuter SX Pro version 2.5.3 final, kindly provided by xiaNaix for this review. The SX Installer software being used for Stargate NX is version 1.4.

Installation:
    1. Installation of all necessary files is simple.
    2. Just drag and drop the SX Installer from sx.xecuter.com to the MicroSD card for use in the Nintendo switch.
    3. Then, drag and drop the files included within the Stargate NX compressed file to the MicroSD card.
    4. The folder structures will appear as follows:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

New Games Tested

Working:
    • ACA Neogeo Metal Slug 5
    • ACA Neogeo Puzzle Bobble
    • Gear Club Unlimited 2
    • Sega Ages Outrun
    Not Working:
    • None!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

All games searched for within the “Search” option work completely fine. I had no issue running any of the games tested after installation. I don’t expect any issues with the full library of games, as they are all official downloadable titles from the Nintendo eShop.

During testing, I could not locate the original NSP files downloaded when not selecting the “delete” option in the menu for installing the games. I expected to find the original NSP to be installed in the root of the MicroSD card, but here is what the root directory looks like:

[​IMG]

After I installed Gear Club Unlimited 2 and proceeded to exit the Stargate NX so I could launch and play the game, this happened:

[​IMG]

The Stargate NX frequently crashes, forcing you to turn off the console and re-start it. This is the only caveat of using Stargate NX that I could find. REVIEW UPDATE: -- This turns out to be known 'minor bug' in current SX Installer v1.4, if you using 'small icons' setting and switching views, its best for now to use 'medium icons', hopefully this will be corrected in future version of SX Installer.

Also it was pointed out to me to test out a few of the latest titles with my Switch. These titles in particular were released after firmware update version 7.0.0, but, from my tests, they work perfectly fine on firmware version 6.2.0. Searching for these titles at the time of this review found no results:
    • Demon X Machina Prototype Missions
    • Final Fantasy IX
    • Yoshi’s Crafted World
    New DLC Tested

Working:
    • Snipperclips – Cut it out, together! – Snipperclips – C DLC
    Not working:
    • None!
    I only had one DLC ready for download for Snipperclips. It installed successfully and worked fine.

Homebrew Store Tested

Working:
    • Re-Installation of SX Installer version 1.4
    Not working:
    • None!
    I reinstalled the SX Installer version 1.4 from here and it installed fine and still worked after re-launching it. I didn’t see very many homebrew available for download here.

Dump Title Keys

This feature works fine. I was able to dump all currently installed games’ title keys within this menu. They all are listed after dumping them.

Pros:
    • Supports all soft modded Nintendo Switch systems, banned or not.
    • Supports all versions of system NAND up to version 6.2.
    • All regions of games, updates, and DLC are readily available to download.
    • Abundant and complete library of Nintendo Switch games.
    • List of games, updates, and DLC updated regularly.
    • Every game, update, and DLC works 100%.
    • No dealing with sketchy websites which can easily install malware on your PC or brick your console.
    • No dealing with “the scene” or ftp sites which often involves politics and attitudes.
    • Will not ever brick your console.
    Cons:
    • Only for Team Xecuter SX Pro with SX Installer (will not currently work on other packages such as Atmosphere).
    • Service is still slightly costly at now only $24.99 per 90 days (after my original review, they lowered the pricing).
    • Crashes sometimes, requiring the Switch to be re-started. <-- Seems to be bug in SX Installer itself, as noted above.
    • Relies on their service to update library of games. <-- See this 'changelog' link for latest titles recently added!
    • You can’t use alt. DNS service like 90DNS to block everything, so their 'Zero no ban risk' is not in my opinion is NOT 100%.
    • In my tests at the time, it is missing the latest titles from the CDN. <--- As noted above, see their 'changelog' link.
    Conclusion

The Stargate NX is an excellent way to download any game you want without having to search incessantly across the internet for what you need. It allows you to do everything as advertised: download full version retail games, DLC, and game updates. This even works on Nintendo Switch consoles that are banned from Nintendo’s servers.

While it does crash once in a while, it runs great for the most part and I had no difficulty in downloading and playing games and games with updates and DLC. I did not find the crashes to be frequent enough to discourage me from using this piece of software.

Many thanks to Team Stargate NX for providing us with the review sample. This service now retails for only $24.99 per 90 days It is an excellent service and provides everyone with an SX Pro equipped switch to download anything they want directly from Nintendo’s servers.

There already 'Official Resellers' stocking StargateNX for Instant Delivery, check out our recommended ones below:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2019
    ZombieGroucho likes this.

Comments

Discussion in 'Official MaxConsole Reviews' started by realtimesave, Feb 19, 2019.

1. 365
      DW360

DW360 Loyal Member

I question the part console must be connected to Nintendo servers.

Using sx os stealth that prevents data being sent to and from Nintendo servers, stargate nx still works.

I've to write a review myself but haven't had much time yet after my mrs giving birth to my little girl.

But I do like the concept, think at times the search could do with improvement and the way it pulls artwork.

At times and quiet often the plugin becomes very slow and would appear to crash your system but it's actually taking ages to respond.

It's not an issue with my connection as I'm on a 900mbps fiber line.

2. 59
      Jimyb3

Jimyb3 Loyal Member

I don’t get it, how we will connect to Nintendo servers when we are banned?

3. 8
      Hopemassi

Hopemassi Loyal Member

Oh, I have ordered it from Sky-3ds.com(it can be found on official reseller list), they have mailed the StargateNX file to me in the morning, so fast, I will followed this guide to test it,so nice!

4. 3
      huyoooooo1

huyoooooo1 Loyal Member

Txswitch is the official reseller and will send you the Stargate NXby email within 10 minutes.

5. 32
      switchnewbo

switchnewbo Loyal Member

Now the StargateNX is in stock now, it will be sent to your email within 5 minutes after payment. Now buy the StargateNX from Sxflashcard, you can get a $2 discount code.

6. 3
      Noemie

Noemie Loyal Member

Already got my stargatenx from elewelt.net, very fast and reliable, they support PayPal.

7. 51
      alexqueen

alexqueen Loyal Member

"This service retails for $24.99 per month and the first month is free?" Mod3dscard has sold it to me(email immediately after ordre) with a bigger discount because I bought SX OS in a time, but the first month isn't Free.

8. 4
      Anima35

Anima35 Loyal Member

I had SX OS 2.5.3 and SX installer 1.4 installed with the StargateNX trial files. Then I seleted the stargateNX theme, it just doesn't work for some reason. I have dns setup normally, stealth mode on, connected through wifi. It gives me an error saying its missing keys.txt which I didn't have, so I got that and it still gave me a ssl error. Basically, I wanted to try it, if it would work I would have bought it but I am not goint to pay for something that doesn't work. Oh ya, they don't respond to my questions about it through their contact form either. Not great support. Also tried reinstalling everything. Also tried it with sx installer 1.5 but that didn't change a thing. Same error's. Also I don't see any different folders or content, basically its just not connecting. I don't know if it matters but I never linked an account to my switch. Maybe that's why... If so, they should clarify. Oh ya, I have emunand 6.2 and nand 5.2 btw.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    9. 365
      DW360

DW360 Loyal Member

If your using trial you dont get full access, you only get free dlc access.

You also dont need select themes?? Simply copy the contents to your sd card in the sx installer directory per instruction.

Boot and it will load the plugin.

Note again free trail wont give you free games.

10. 4
      Anima35

Anima35 Loyal Member

I do know the trial only gives you dlc and updates but it's not even giving any of those. It gives me 0 options for any of this. Do I need to have the nsp still on my SD card even if it's installed to get access to the dlc/updates because nothing shows up, no dlc, no updates.

11. 365
      DW360

DW360 Loyal Member

Simply copy everything you was sent in the zip to the directory.

You need to have sx installer 1.4 or higher installed.

If asked to replace any existing files, replace them.

If your still not having luck can you upload a screenshot of your sd card showing the directory path you have copied stargatenx to along with the files you were sent in the zip in the screenshot.

12. 4
      Anima35

Anima35 Loyal Member

Well, I didn't change anything at all, just now, it started working all of the sudden. Very strange. I guess I will buy a month to try it out. I don't want my credit card info stolen this time. Any suggestions on a safe way to get a month? Also I usually use a vpn to get games because my ISP has warned me before and I am not trying to get my internet cut off. Can I use a VPN to access this through the switch?

13. 365
      DW360

DW360 Loyal Member

You can buy off trusted resellers and it's a month at a time, not a subscription that keeps going.

This will be fine no risk from your ISP. Your issue before would be using public torrents.

This will just show as your downloading files, your not sending the files back to anyone else which is where you've been caught before.

14. 4
      Anima35

Anima35 Loyal Member

Alright, thanks. Your right, it was torrents but I do like having a vpn in general. Very cool they extended it to 90 days.

15. 89
      darkdreamr

darkdreamr Loyal Member

For those who have StargateNX , is anyone else experiencing crashing randomly when downloading / installing?

I didn’t have any crashing issues with installer 1.4 for the first night I used it. But 1.5 seems to be crashing quite a bit. I’m going to see if going back to 1.4 helps , but I also like the faster downloads of 1.5 (which is probably the problem lol)

I don’t know if any support forums for StargateNX so I figure it best to ask here. If anyone has found a solution please let me know.

16. 1
      deathjijn

deathjijn Loyal Member

I experience crashes only when i look at game info or if i press the refresh button crashes 100% if i do a refresh. and my issue si that it does not show the dlc or new games menu at all they are completely missing and i can not figure out why. Not to mention that the cdn folder is empty.

17. 1
      marios50

marios50 Loyal Member

Hi, I purchased a month however when I copied everything to my sd card, nothing shows up no dlc and no new games in tx installer. Not using any DNS or anything. Am I missing something?

18. 21
      ZombieGroucho

ZombieGroucho MaxConsole Product Reviewer MaxConsole News Team

Great review, Dennis!