hit tracker

Swapping HDD between 2 Chipped original Xboxes

Discussion in 'Xbox Retro Hacking / Mods & General Discussion' started by elferezo, Sep 15, 2014.

1. 2
    elferezo

elferezo Loyal Member

Hi, I've done a bit of searching around for this but apologies for anyone having to repeat themselves.
    I used to have a Duox 2 chipped Xbox with 120gb HDD. This ceased working a while back leaving me no access to my HDD installed games. A few days ago, I stumbled across an Xbox for £5, got it home and discovered it was already chipped.
    What would be the easiest, quickest method of moving across my old 120gb HDD (healthy) with games and saves intact to the new chipped Xbox?
    Thanks in advance.

2. 25,746
    GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
    Design Eng.
    Home Page:
    http://www.O-P-A.biz
    You should be able to just move the HDD over between Xbox's since both are chipped.

Normally on chipped Xbox's the larger HDD's are left in UNLOCK mode, as the LOCK mode is only needed for original unchipped Xbox's or soft-mod ones.

So it should be just remove HDD from dead xbox, and put hdd in new Xbox, and turn it on, it should boot up to dashboard, if it does not and boots up to error code, it means either your HDD is locked (which would be weird) or something else is weird.

Try it out, and if it does not work, report back the error code you got and then we can go from there on what is happening.

3. 1,288
    Artlover

Artlover Bad Ass Mother 4000, Twice as Fast as your Ass! Loyal Member

Property Maintenance
    Miami, Fl, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Universe
    Yeah, should most likely be able to just swap HDD's.

But I wouldn't say it's a given that the HDD's will be unlocked. I seem to remember there was some scenario that still required it. Can't remember if it was trying to play an original game from disc or entering the original MS dashboard....but I seem to recall one of them didn't work if the drive was unlocked, chipped or not. Now you've got me wondering. Will have to play around later tonight.

4. 1,327
    rednekcowboy

rednekcowboy Developer

If you want to access the original dash to get to the settings or something, then I believe it has to be locked.

5. 2
    elferezo

elferezo Loyal Member

Thanks for the replies, nice to see the scene is still healthy!
    I did actually attempt swapping HDD's, and sure enough red flashing displayed alongside an error code- I didn't think to note down the code but will try again tomorrow.
    Whether or not the drive is locked, I cannot remember (I modded the box personally years ago but have a sieve like memory!), but I had the ability to boot up to original dash through an Evox sub menu or switching on via the eject button.
    I'll keep you posted and thanks again.