hit tracker

Thinking about getting a DSi and retiring my Original DS

Discussion in 'NDS Newbie Corner & Tutorials' started by SNES_Master, Jan 13, 2011.

1. 370
    SNES_Master

SNES_Master Loyal Member

I don't have one :(
    As the title says I'm thinking about picking a DSi (yes I realize I can wait till March and get 3DS) here is why I was wanting to do this sooner.
    My old DS is great and plays 90% of the Roms I dl, but the emulators are a little buggy and it can't run GBA (I use Datels MAX Media dock by the way) I have heard that DSi can so I've been looking into and haven't found much info. So I was hoping someone could clear up at least a few of my questions.

1) Can it play GBA roms? If so how is the compatibilty? (ie play speed, most games or some?)

2) Can it be softmodded? I'd rather avoid buying another flashcard if possible but if I must which one is the best?

3) Emulation. Does it run better than DS, about the same, or not as good?

I know I sound like a newb but this will help me decide weather it's worth it to sell my old DS for a DSi or if I should wait for a 3DS or even just kept my current DS and get one of the new ones as a "backup" system.

2. 13,435
    billysastard

billysastard MaxConsole Co-Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Home Page:
    since dsi mode cant be accessed by almost all flashcards and only a little with the cyclo ievo you wont really have much luck.

your best current solution is to go with a ds lite and a decent slot 1 flashcard combined with a ez-v 3in1 slot 2 card which will let you play gba and ds at full speed and emulate the others in ds mode, just avoid all the really cheap crap like anything that says r4 or dstt on it, if you must go for a dsi then only the cyclo i-evo comes close to offering what you want however the supercard ds two is the closest non dsi mode dsi card and does cost less.

3. 370
    SNES_Master

SNES_Master Loyal Member

I've read a few good things about something called "Acecard 2i" is that good?

4. 13,435
    billysastard

Home Page:
    yes thats a fine card for a cheapie, of course it cant access dsi mode but it will work on a dsi HOWEVER whilst it can be upgraded there is an issue, since it has no connectors to hook up to a pc you'll still need a ds / ds lite to upgrade it on if nintendo make a new dsi firmware, you'll need to bear that in mind.

5. 370
    SNES_Master

SNES_Master Loyal Member

Ok then, I think what I'll do is wait for 3DS to have a smaller, better DS. Meanwhile I will order a replacement touch screen for my Original DS (I fudged it up playing Metroid Prime Hunters lol) and get myself a better flash card. Well I like the Max Media Dock, there is alot it lacks in features, such as GBA Rom compatibility. I thought I read that once I load a GBA rom onto a slot 2 card that any GBA would play it like its real no modding required? Looks like I have a little research to do lol...wouldn't wanna kill my DS replacing the screen.

One last thing, any idea where I can find Acecard and EZ-V 3in1 for a decent price (Preferably a known site that won't rip me off)? I would love it if I could get it from Amazon but they don't have those...plus I don't want to order a fake and be screwed out of money.

6. 13,435
    billysastard

Home Page:
    the 3 in 1 is a very hard beast to find especially the "fullsize" (or gba sized) version for the ds phat, the dslite version is smaller although of course the fullsize version works on ds lite, ds phat and gba.

if i remember there was an american or canadian company that had stocks of the gba sized version. something like realhotstuff or redhotstuff, they were a reliable source.

for acekards the far east is your only good value destination as western places are utter rip offs.

http://www.ndscardsale.com/ are a company that just sells flashcards, they are run by a well known and trusted chinese webstore who were forced to stop selling such things, obviously i cant say which store but its a well known one.

other you could look at are volumerates.com and lighttake.com again both are connected to two well known and trusted webstores (in fact one is connected to ndscardsale too).

as with all these things pay the small extra to get tracked shippping (or spend at least $15-20 to get it free) simply because shipping out of southern china and hong kong is dire still and with cny coming up its going to get worse, tracked mail seems to get out faster, expect delivery to take 2-4 weeks whatever the stores say (and thats after they ship it, add another day-week for them to stock it).

7. 370
    SNES_Master

SNES_Master Loyal Member

Thank you for all the help, I found it on realhotstuff for $22.50 which is a pretty good price, now I gotta order that and Acecard so I can start playing GBA roms (unfortunately the batteries in half my games have died) gonna cost me around $50 in total but it's worth it and I know a few people who would buy my Mmd off me I have to say I shoulda just bought something of a similar set from the start but what's done is done.

8. 13,435
    billysastard

Home Page:
    as said just make sure its the full sized version (they made 3 models, black dslite, white dslite and fullsize which was a smokey grey colour) to use the gba sized 3in1 on a gba upload your gba game to the nor memory (not psram) and yiour 3in1 will act just like a gba cart from then on (until you reflash it with something new).

$22.50 isnt a bad price for the full sized one, obviously they used to be a lot less (i think mine was around $15-18) but the small ones got as low as $10 at one point although that was maybe because they "updated" the small sized ones and bugger all worked properly with them (fixed much later on acekard aio and cyclo evo), no worries with the big ones though.

one thing, use the akaio firmware instead of the acekard firmware, its far superior, you should be able to find it on gbatemp, not sure (check in the readme) about acekard support for 3in1 (its fully integrated on the cyclo) if it doesnt have support you'll need the latest rudolphs 3in1 loader and 3in1 tools to back up your games if you dont already have backups.

do a quick search in the ds section here for links and all the details you should need.

forgot to add cny is 3rd feb this year and most places (inc post and suppliers) will be shut from 1st to 7th so get your order in quick as it needs to be out of china / hk before then or its going to be buried.