hit tracker

Tronxy XY-2 PRO 3D Printer

Discussion in 'Official MaxConsole Reviews' started by SonyUSA, Nov 9, 2019.

By SonyUSA on Nov 9, 2019 at 9:10 PM
  1. 83
    SonyUSA

SonyUSA MaxConsole Game Reviewer Staff Member MaxConsole News Team

Today, our MaxConsole @SonyUSA Reviews the 'Tronxy XY-2 PRO 3D Printer' available direct from Aliexpress!
    [​IMG]
    1.jpg

dino1.png

The Tronxy XY-2 PRO is an entry level filament based 3D printer that packs a ton of features into one budget friendly package. With better print accuracy, a larger print bed, and an auto-leveling sensor, it's even better than a large portion of printers on the market and for a fraction of the price.

Packed along with the printer is everything you'll need to get started and some nice extras thrown in as a bonus. A starter spool of the Tronxy brand filament won't last you too long, but you'll be able to test out settings and print out a few starter models to get yourself familiar with the 3D printing process. On the included MicroSD card is the PC slicer software and a few pre-made objects ready for printing. Tronxy also throws in a replacement stop-sensor, print head/nozzle, and a removable print bed and some clips to hold it down. A little baggy of screws, screwdrivers, a scraping tool (to get your model off the print bed), and cables round everything off nicely.

Assembly is a snap, with just a couple of bolts to hold the frame together and couple cable bundles to connect, you'll be up and running in less than 30 minutes after unpacking the whole thing. From what I've seen, quite a few printers use a bunch of individual wires to connect all the motors and sensors with, but the XY-2 PRO is an instant setup with just 3 unique cables to connect.

5.jpg 7.jpg

The slicer software needs a lot of improvement, but there are lots of other no-cost options that work just fine to "slice" your projects into a compatible print file... and there are a TON of free print files online, ranging from desk toys, replacement parts, cosplay props, and Dungeons & Dragons game pieces and accessories.

My first print was a cute little bendy dinosaur (that now lives on my desk at work) that printed out perfectly-- after I accidentally calibrated the nozzle too close to the print bed and it scratched a permanent dinosaur shape into it with a hot nozzle. Luckily, the bed is removable and can be easily replaced, but it hasn't really affected any of my prints afterwards so I'm not in a big rush to swap it out.

Instead of spending a ton of money on a face mask for one of my cosplays (Evil Deku from My Hero Academia!), I found a free file online and was able to print it out, prime it, and give it a metallic spray with a quick dry brush to make it look a little beat up and it looks perfect. A full size spool of filament will run you about $15-$20 and the mask barely put a dent in it, so I got a great costume prop for only a few dollars.

tower1.png tower2.png

Board game players or fans of Dungeons and Dragons have tons of options to help demolish the cost of 3D terrain and tokens. Here you can see a fantastic (and free!) design of a dice tower that has a fold-up drawbridge (not shown), a portcullis style jail door, and a secret floor that opens up to reveal the chamber that can easily store 6 sets of dice with a twist of a knob. There is even a bonus shot of an Inspiration token, perfect for Bards or DMs to remind their players they have it, with a little notch to rest the appropriate dice in.

13.jpg 14.jpg

Large models are not an issue with the massive print bed size of the XY-2 PRO, so you're extremely unlikely to find anything distributed online that won't fit on this printer. Print times are standard as compared to other printers, and really just come down to the settings you use in the print file. (In case you were interested, the mask took 16 hours and the dice tower took about 20, and the little tokens about 30 minutes)

For first timers or anyone on a budget, the Tronxy XY-2 PRO has got to be one of the best filament 3D printers on the market that doesn't have to skimp on the high end features or small print size to still come at a great price. Extra spools of filament are dirt cheap and can put out a ton of product before they run out, meaning you'll have endless fun printing anything your heart desires from the internet and showing it off or giving your friends and family cute little gifts.

You can check out all the features and availability here! https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000121621151.html

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2019
    Artlover likes this.

Comments

Discussion in 'Official MaxConsole Reviews' started by SonyUSA, Nov 9, 2019.