hit tracker

[Tutorial] Going Dex To Cex , With No Brick Risk

Discussion in 'PS3 Modding Tutorials' started by pepe, Aug 27, 2012.

1. 2
    pepe

pepe Loyal Member

Hi
    Here Is Tutorial to convert your Dex console to Cex , with no brick risk 100% tested on fat and slim consoles .

Befor Start Tut BeSure Your Frimware Is DEX3.55 .

1- rename your 16 MB cex flash to my.CEX.EID0.NORBIN for Slim Console With NOR flash and my.CEX.EID0.NANDBIN for Fat console with NAND flash

2- Overwrite the reanamed cex flash file Using multiman . (Run in filemanager of multiman)

WARNING DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR CONSOLE AFTER OVERWRITING YOUR CEX FLASH . TURNING OFF MAY CAUSE YOUR CONSOLE BRICK

3- Download And Install FactoryServiceMod.pkg but DONT RUN .
    http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?c4q49vo221bq8h6

4- Download Rogero CFW V3.4 and rename it to PS3UPDAT.PUP
    http://www.ps3devwiki.com/files/firm...r/Rogero-V3.4/

5- Download Lv2diag.self file (365Kb)
    http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?q0cgp3zj3a92rdx

6- Copy Renamed Rogero CFW and Lv2diag.self to root folder of Your Cooldisk Or EXT.HDD

7- Connect Your CoolDisk Or HDD to right usb slot of your console ( the one near BD drive)

8- Run FactorySerViceMode From Console
    after running factoryservicemode the screen goes black wait until the console turn off automaticlly.this may take 4-5 min.

9- Delete Lv2diag.self (365Kb) From cooldisk or HDD. download Lv2diag.self (4.14Kb) from the link below and copy to root folder of cooldisk or HDD . connect it to right slot of your console.
    http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?tpvau6ikd4xk1dg

There is two Lv2diag.self for this TuT , Be careful . First one is 365kb and 2nd one is 4.14kb .
    10- Turn on The Console . wait for automatic turn off

11- eject usb drive , turn on console .

Translated From www.console-hax.com

2. 103
    szlifier

szlifier Loyal Member

Looks like it's just the old method that bricks your console combined with the unbricking solution. No surprises here.

Anyway, this lv2diag firmware flashing formats your HDD, right? That's the way it always was.

3. 2
    pepe

pepe Loyal Member

yes there is nothing new , but at least with this combine you can go to cex with no risk .
    this lv2diag formats your HDD .

4. 0
    JLM

JLM Guest

Several people who converted back to cex got a semi-brick that needs fsm to fix. Some of those people didn't own a fsm dongle. This would have saved them alot of trouble.

5. 352
    tonybologna

tonybologna Loyal Member

construction business owner, affiliate marketing,
    This needs to be moved to the Tutorials section.

6. 847
    pete_uk

pete_uk Crunchy Emu Compiler Loyal Member

Done :)

7. 69
    lurkandlearn

lurkandlearn Loyal Member

But why would anyone choose the method that always formats your HDD? :eek:
    I never had any troubles switching between CEX and DEX 3.55 OFW the normal way, at least with NOR console, maybe NAND is different.

Here's a fast and safe way to go between CEX and DEX for NOR consoles:
    1. Create /PS3/UPDATE/ folder in the root of a USB flash drive and copy DEX OFW 3.55 PS3UPDAT.PUP file there.
    2. Create /CEX/UPDATE/ folder there and copy CEX OFW 3.55 PS3UPDAT.PUP file there.
    3. Copy your CEX and DEX flash files to the USB root.
    4. Rename CEX file to _CEX and DEX file to DEX.EID0.NORBIN
    5. Create a .bat file, for example CEXDEX.BAT:
    Code:
    if exist _DEX (
    rename PS3 CEX
    rename DEX PS3
    rename CEX.EID0.NORBIN _CEX
    rename _DEX DEX.EID0.NORBIN
    goto EOF
    )
    if exist _CEX (
    rename PS3 DEX
    rename CEX PS3
    rename DEX.EID0.NORBIN _DEX
    rename _CEX CEX.EID0.NORBIN
    )

6. You are ready to go CEX->DEX! If you want DEX->CEX, just run CEXDEX.BAT and you'll have CEX.EID0.NORBIN and CEX FW ready for flashing. The important thing is not to forget to turn the console off from XMB after flashing the .NORBIN file in multiman, not from multiman of by pressing the power button.

8. 352
    tonybologna

tonybologna Loyal Member

I changed my mind. This post should be the tutorial to follow! :playful:

9. 2,773
    PatrickBatman

PatrickBatman SCENE MOD Loyal Member

I personally think Pepe's tutorial is a bit confusing (maybe just not a native engrish speaker) plus it erases hard drive and TWO lv2diag.selfs? hmm

10. 352
    tonybologna

tonybologna Loyal Member

That's what I was implying in my previous reply. Lurkandlearn posted what looks to be a much better solution. Thanks!

11. 0
    JLM

JLM Guest

The method of installing firmware in fsm uses 2 different lv2diag.self, one to install the firmware and one to exit fsm. Nothing strange about it.

12. 2,773
    PatrickBatman

PatrickBatman SCENE MOD Loyal Member

Well speaking as NOOB in terms of dex it is strange when im familiar with ps3 files, I suppose if I ever have done it before it wouldn't be. And when I write tutorials I write them for NOOBS.

13. 4,102
    gDrive

gDrive Not Your Mommas Tranny Clean-Up Crew

Home Page:
    http://techbliss.org
    Well, speaking of lurkandlearn's tutorial, he sure as heck lurked and learned a lot! :p

Nice tutorial by the way, although with me, I've recently decided to go back and forth with CEX and DEX and with that, I've just renamed the PUPs with mmOS and have ALL the necessary PUPs in one UPDATE folder, WITH a separate text file stating WHAT firmware is ready for installation, like this:

14. 0
    JLM

JLM Guest

Using lv2diag.self 's is the procedure for factory service mode (unrelated to dex2cex issues). For example, using factory service mode to downgrade also requires 2 lv2diag.self's. One to tell the console to install the pup, then one to leave fsm. Didn't want people to be alarmed by the use of 2; it's normal.

The dex->cex procedure has been refined, but this is an alternative for those worried about (semi-)brick and don't have a dongle.

15. 114
    kilkip

kilkip Loyal Member

great way if one doesn't have a flasher, multiman can write to NOR as its proven with this method

and if you are QA flag'd on CEX before the convert and once you go DEX-CEX again, nothing need to be done, verify the QA settings with the combo after convert, all intact, just re-install OFW355/kmeaw whatever and u have clean CEX+working blu-ray drive, that is with hardware flasher, just shutdown console the normal way and reboot, verify QA and re-install OFW355....

also FSM mode for installing PUPS wil format the drive while installing the PUP so with that u loose all settings etc... not that it saved my ass couple times

16. 42
    Legion303

Legion303 Loyal Member

Do you have to start with DEX 3.55 and update to newer versions, or can you follow that tutorial and use DEX OFW 4.21 immediately?

17. 69
    lurkandlearn

lurkandlearn Loyal Member

18. 90
    chr15m

chr15m Loyal Member

So if i place 3 folders 01/02/03 in /dev_hdd0/updater/
    and have
    01 - cex 355 kmeaw pup
    02 - Rogero's DEX 3.55 v2 downgrader pup
    03 - dex 4.21
    and im on Rogero's DEX 3.55 v2 downgrader firmware
    Could i use mM to flash my cex `original flash` then quit to xmb
    then update from xmb using above updater method
    turn of PS3 with controller
    switch PS3 on from console
    would this work without gettin a semi-brick

19. 70
    ohnozeibricked

ohnozeibricked Loyal Member

Hey G :)

this way you described, do you have to do any renaming or editing of the pup names before the dex>cex/ cex>dex switch, or are they available in the xmb without editing?

if so can you do a short tut please, as i cannot get them to show up in the xmb how you described :)

20. 4,102
    gDrive

gDrive Not Your Mommas Tranny Clean-Up Crew

Home Page:
    http://techbliss.org
    The only XMB-accessible PUP is the one that is named PS3UPDAT.PUP, so in order for the chosen PUP to be accessible, you'd have to name the PUP file as PS3UPDAT.PUP, and have the PUPs stored in the /dev_usb000/PS3/UPDATE path, and rename the additional PUPs in the same path so that they don't show up in XMB.

Say for example that I want to install the Official DEX 3.55 firmware after I've flashed the console to have the 0x82 TargetID via mM, and I have all my needed PUPs in one folder - I'd then use multiMAN to rename my PUP as such - see below:

After I've converted to DEX, and I've finished mucking around with the DEX-installed PS3, I'd then flash the original CEX flash dump back via mM, and then after that, whilst still on mM, I'd then rename the PUPs again, as follows: