hit tracker

[Tutorial] Going Dex To Cex , With No Brick Risk

Discussion in 'PS3 Modding Tutorials' started by pepe, Aug 27, 2012.

1. 70
    ohnozeibricked

ohnozeibricked Loyal Member

ah, gotcha. sorry i misunderstood i thought they were available from the off in xmb.

thanks for clarifying though, shame you can't have some sort of txt file in the UPDATE folder pointing to different pup's, as that is the only folder accesible during switch as far as i know. just being lazy though hehe. the search folder is a good option but sadly not available on switch :(

2. 19
    ttz

ttz Loyal Member

hi, one of my friend followed the tut cex 2 dex
    he converted successfully

2nd dex day he was starting a game, while verifying game data, current off (storm!)

now when he turns on the ps3 he sees green led and after that ps3 turns off, red led , blinking and blinking and blinking....

hints?
    thanks

3. 1
    Ale_Strife

Ale_Strife Loyal Member

so with the backup of the three files when i converted to dex ( Backuprflash.CEX.bin, Backuprflash.DEX.bin and eid_root_key ) it's real possible to come back to cex WITHOUT flasher ecc and without risk (brick)?
    come back to 3.55 cex with bluray video and dvd video support.

4. 11
    Nocte

Nocte Loyal Member

Since I never find the time to stay up to date with the scene: what are DEX/CEX consoles? Why should I switch to either one of them? I am using an (quite old) 3.55CFW and so far had rarely problems with it. But I guess that's also because I don't game a lot and thus am trying to cathing up with "old" games.

5. 2,773
    PatrickBatman

PatrickBatman SCENE MOD Loyal Member

Cex is a retail console like the one you prolly have, Dex is a debug/dev console that sony devs use to debug games. Well if you dont game a lot then Dex prolly isnt for you, what Dex allows you to do is play the newest games basically that have an update, games that you cant currently play on CFW. Dex also lets you play (ps3) games off your computer via ethernet wired connection.

Dex however does take away bluray playback on movies. But you can play any game currently on disc even the latest games. Also you can switch between dex firmwares hence downgrade.

6. 1
    dijitalxyz

dijitalxyz Loyal Member

7. 1
    Mada Dark

Mada Dark Loyal Member

sorry for my question but if i dont have cex flash can i bring ps3 back again from dex to cex i have e flasher can i use it

8. 13
    tesla

tesla Loyal Member

HI ALL,
    I'm a new member !

I need back to CEX using this tutorial but I have 2 questions please :

1- Is it safe ? ( because, like many people, I changed DEX debug settings to play backups from my ext. hdd )
    2- Could I apply Sony's original 3.55 firmware instead of rogero CFW ?

Thanks for the help people and long life to this website.

9. 2
    traumakom

traumakom Loyal Member

responsabile di settore
    I'm stuck in step 8 is passed almost 1 hour and the green light keeps flashing ... it's normal??? :(

10. 13
    tesla

tesla Loyal Member

Is it finished ? you used CFW rogero or original Sony's firmware ?

11. 59
    Luke-X

Luke-X Loyal Member

Anyone who has successfully tested this method on CECH2004 Slim model?

12. 5
    kbryang

kbryang Loyal Member

I just want to make sure I have this correct. Right now I am on DEX 4.21 but I am going to downgrade with 3.55downgrader. After that I just use this process to go back to CEX correct? Im just a little confused on creating the .bat portion of this tutorial. Does all this just need to be done on my PC or can you run .bat files on the PS3? Just dont understand how doing this changes the PS3 from DEX to CEX when I first went from CEX to DEX the process was much more involved. Also I have been reading to switch to the new CFW 4.21 by Roger0 you have to install QA flags if you have downgraded your PS3. Would this include me since I have only downgraded on DEX and not CEX? Appreciate any and all help guys

13. 59
    Luke-X

Luke-X Loyal Member

Please, could you write a step-by-step tutorial? I didn't understand what I have to do if I want to go from DEX to CEX and what EXACTLY I have to write in the .bat file.
    Do I have to copy everything you wrote or just some lines?

14. 26
    sumolx

sumolx Loyal Member

PePe,
    My 4.21 DEX > 3.55 DEX > 3.55 CEX was 100% complete success with your instructions. I want to thank you very much for writing up this tutorial!

Model: PS3 FAT NAND CECHE

The only problem I have at this moment is that BluRay discs are not recognized.... Any suggestions?

15. 5
    kbryang

kbryang Loyal Member

@sumolx, So you went from 4.21 DEX, 3.55 DEX, 3.55 CEX correct? Could you do me a favor and elaborate more on @pepe step 1 and step 2 for this tutorial. Where do I go in my PS3 directory to rename CEX.EID0.NORBIN and once that is renamed which version of multiman do I use to overwrite the CEX file and how do you do that in multiman?

16. 175
    and_fis

and_fis Loyal Member

I went from 3.55 dex to 4.21 dex downgraded then i installed 3.55 ofw dex before i did my multiman flash....powered off through xmb settings...powered on with button booted up then installed 3.55 Kmeaw. Rebooted and installed 3.55 rebug otheros++

this is for 2k series consoles.
    1: you must have qa flag
    2: if your on dex you must go to 4.21 dex then use downgrader to go to 3.55 dex the downgrader is the key it clears your hash
    3: reflash with ofw 3.55 dex you must do this before you reflash your nor
    4 reflash your nor with cex.norbin make sure you have multiman cex on your dex ofw or it wont flash the cex.norbin
    5:I DON'T CARE WHAT ANYONES SAYS AFTER FLASH TURN OFF CONSOLE THROUGH XMB SETTINGS OR YOU WILL BRICK!
    6: install kmeaw 3.55 cfw
    7: install rebug or what ever you want or stay on kmeaw. your done

17. 175
    and_fis

and_fis Loyal Member

It is that easy.. Do NOT try this if you have a nand I dont know if it will work the same way.

18. 5
    kbryang

kbryang Loyal Member

@and_fis. What if I am currently on 4.21 DEX and do not have a backup of my cex.norbin or atleast I dont think I do unless it is in my ps3 dir somewhere. So what I need to go is use the 3.55downgrader, 3.55 dex, install qa toggle, reflash with cex.norbin and then install a 3.55 cfw?

19. 175
    and_fis

and_fis Loyal Member

your cex.norbin should be on your pc because you had to use it to convert and make a copy that became dex.norbin.
    if your on 4.21dex downgrade with the dex downgrader firmware. it will take you to 3.55 dex cfw. You then have to flash 3.55 dex ofw. Then install multiman cex the most current one you can find. go into hex manager in multiman and flash cex.norbin. remove all dvds and usb items before you flash.. next press your ps button and quit game to exit to xmb. reboot under xmb settings and click shut down. reboot and it will take you into the xmb screen.. now install kmeaw 3.55 cfw. and that is it

20. 5
    kbryang

kbryang Loyal Member

@and_fis yes I had a copy of cex.norbin on my pc when I first went to DEX which was a while ago but I do not have it anymore. Is this still possible without having a copy of the cex.norbin or do you know of a directory on the ps3 I could search for to perhaps find a backup