hit tracker

[Tutorial] Going Dex To Cex , With No Brick Risk

Discussion in 'PS3 Modding Tutorials' started by pepe, Aug 27, 2012.

1. 2,773
    PatrickBatman

PatrickBatman SCENE MOD Loyal Member

Thats not a big deal unless you also lost your eid_root_key. If you still have the key you can convert DEX flash to CEX flash.

(If you lost the key im not sure if you can get a valid one on DEX as i cant a straight answer on this)

2. 13
    tesla

tesla Loyal Member

Can i do pepe's tutorials if i did a flash backup with preloader (jaicrab) ? My 256MB backup mane is backuprflash. I read in many forums that multiman can not load this type of flash even if i rename it like pepe said...

PLEASE HELP ME.

3. 5
    kbryang

kbryang Loyal Member

Yea thats where I messed up. I did not save a backup of my eid_root_key when I converted to DEX in the first place. So I guess I need to find out if there is a way possible to retrieve that key while on DEX or through some other way to be able to convert back to CEX

4. 26
    sumolx

sumolx Loyal Member

Yes, and keep in mind NEVER POWER OFF the system manually via Power Button or via the controller!

1. I prepared usb stick and collect every single file required for this surgery. (See Attached Screenshots)
    2. When manipulating file names I use the Copy/Paste technique then rename file to the required name.
    3. Use downgrade pup to go from 4.21 DEX to 3.55 DEX via XMB System Update via Storage
    4. Then installed 3.55 DEX kamel from XMB System Update via Storage
    5. Install MultiMan CEX version
    6. Use MultiMan to write CEX dump. (In my case my.CEX.EID0.NANDBIN since I have CECHE NAND PS3 FAT)
    7. !!!!!!!DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT POWER OFF SYSTEM EVER!!!!!!!
    8. Follow Step 3 and so on from PePe's tutorial.
    9. Then immediately follow DeHash/Syscon Tutorial

Now if someone can help me.... I'm not sure if its because I went do DEX or performed a downgrade or used this method to revert back to CEX, but my dev_flash3 is empty which means BluRay playback does not work. Does anyone know of a solution to fix this? I tried to remarry the drive, it does initialize successfully, but the second step fails with NG.

Question: is it possible with my NAND CEX backup to extract dev_flash3 and then restore the files individually via MultiMan?

5. 8
    Robert

Robert Loyal Member

This will be my rut when ever I need to get to cex from dex I done bricked my ps3 twice

Also when I try update from xmb it says pup corrupted

6. 14
    mastergannel

mastergannel Loyal Member

Do you need your eid root key? This worked for me.

For those of you who are trying to retrieve the eid0 root key in DEX, you can't get it using any of the package dumpers. I followed the following steps posted earlier in this thread and it worked for me great. Anything in green are my notes about the steps.

Note: These are not my instructions, I take no credit.

1- Since you are already on itskamel dex 3.55, install FactoryServiceModeV2.pkg (I was using Rogero's 3.55DEX w/Peek & Poke, but you have to use itskamel's DEX3.55, Google it to find a copy)
    2- Copy rogero FW v3.4 and lv2diag.self to the root of a usb and connect it to the most right usb door on your PS3 (I used the lv2diag.self from Pepe's tutorial here. IMPORTANT: Rename the rogero FW to PS3UPDAT.PUP)
    3- Start FSM. it will beep and return to xmb. then start FSM again and let it do its job (Again, pepe's tut has links to FSM)
    4- After all done, PS3 will turn off, remove usb, delete files, but rename lv2diag_exit.self to lv2diag.self.
    5- Connect again to ps3, and turn on PS3, it will turn on and off in 4/5 seconds.
    6- Remove usb, and turn on PS3, it will now turn on normally, and you'll be on a partially DEX/CEX CFW ROGERO v3.4
    7- Now install multiman 4.03, only on that works on it, and install eid_rkdumper.pkg (Google to find the files)
    8- Start dumper, ps3 will beep and reboot.
    9- Go to multiman, and get your file at dev_hdd0/tmp and copy it to a usb
    10- Do what you need to convert your dex to cex nand, im still trying to do it

EDIT: You can safely return to whatever 3.55DEX FW you were using prior to this.

Hope this helps.

I'm still stuck on getting my NAND converted.
    I'm hoping someone who knows how as I have tried countless times and can't figure out how.
    My ps3 files are located
    here.

7. 114
    kilkip

kilkip Loyal Member

i'm on it give me a min...i'll edit this post when done

8. 14
    mastergannel

mastergannel Loyal Member

Was the post you made in the other thread for me? The thread "If you lost your CEX FLASH ...."

9. 5
    Captain Caveman

Captain Caveman Loyal Member

I've followed all the steps in the first post and am stuck on running FactoryServiceMod.. it beeps and returns to the xmb and does nothing (i've ran it 3 times)

Since I have completed all the steps.. I don't know what to do next.. I don't want to turn the console off in case it bricks..

Anyone able to help or has a suggestion?

Just noticed the factory.txt file.. inside this is what it says..

firmware version detected: 0x8aac (35500)
    SUCCESS: read EPROM
    ERROR: failed to write to EPROM
    ERROR: SS EPROM write error: 80010505, mode: ff
    factory/service mode failure!

well, dam power just went off and on.. PS3 is toast.. got the siren sound and then it shut off..

10. 59
    Luke-X

Luke-X Loyal Member

11. 59
    Luke-X

Luke-X Loyal Member

Thank you for this tutorial ;)

12. 21
    Pdscoelho

Pdscoelho Loyal Member

Hi, is there a way for me to dump my dex nor?

13. 8
    mkalbarc

mkalbarc Loyal Member

Regarding dehashing:
    I was on dex 4.21. Just downgraded to rogero 3.55.
    I am having the same issue as some others. After entering recovery and pressing start+select to update I get error "(No applicable update data was found)"
    I am currently on the rogero 355 v3.7
    I have no disk in drive and have put the OFW355 on usb stick under PS3/UPDATE/PS3UPDAT.PUP

Any ideas?
    Thanks guys!

14. 8
    mkalbarc

mkalbarc Loyal Member

Actually I figured out what happened... When reverting back to CEX from DEX I used the DEX anand flash file instead of my original CEX one... So basically I never left DEX to begin with, however, it still installed Rogero CEX 355 v7 via recovery... So even though I was now on CEX FW the PS3 still thought it was DEX so it would only allow me to install DEX firmwares. So as of now I'm back on 4.21 DEX and staying there until I get brave enough to try again but with the correct files.

15. 1
    Mark Gray

Mark Gray Loyal Member

Hi PatrickBatman,

Sorry for bothering you, i have been reading on forums all day trying to figure out how to get my 3.55dex back to 3.55cex so i can eventually upgrade to the new 4.21cfw.

I have lost the cex flash file due to me being a retard and have tried to recover it but keep hitting a brick wall

any help or advise by anyone will be very much appreciated

Mark,

16. 2
    rjrusek

rjrusek Loyal Member

. . . NOT RESPONSABLE IF YOU BRICK . . .

Use the following steps:

1. Make sure you are in DEX 3.55FW

2. Install FactoryServiceMod.pkg * (FSM)
    * This is from PEPE's tutorial step 3.

3. Put Console in FSM and turn off

4. Flash old NAND Backup back (This takes upto 5 min)
    - Put "JaiCrab Preloader Advance v3.1" files (Lv2diag.self, advance.cfg *) onto usb stick
    - Put Backuprflash.bin onto usb stick and rename to rflash.bin
    - Plug in usb stick into console (into right usb port)
    - Turn on console
    * Make sure you use the version of advance.cfg that writes rflash.bin to flash not the one that reads the flash to Backuprflash.bin

5. Turn Console off

6. Erase usb stick

7. Flash Rogero CFW V3.4 (This takes upto 5 min)
    - Put PS3UPDATE.PUP (Rogero CFW V3.4) and Lv2diag.self * on usb stick
    - Turn on console
    - Wait for console to turn off
    * This is the 365Kb version from PEPE's tutorial step 5

8. Remove usb stick from console

9. Take console out of FSM
    - Erase usb stick
    - Put Lv2diag.self * onto usb stick
    - Turn console back on and wait for it to turn off
    * This is the 4.14Kb version from PEPE's tutorial step 9

10. Done - Turn Back on and you shoule be in Rogero's CFW V3.4

I also recommend doing the following: Dehashing/Syscon Reset

http://www.tortuga-cove.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=127&t=3638

Also note you have most likely lost the ability to playback BlueRay movies unless you backed your DEV_FLASH3 before you went to DEX.

Good Luck and hope this helps..

RJR

17. 13
    tesla

tesla Loyal Member

WAW ! Thank you so much to try to help me... I really appreciate.

- I would like to know if you know someone who already tried this ?
    - Is there a method to unbrick and back to OFW 3.55 if I fail ?
    - You said I will lose the ability to playback BlueRay movies...? but original blueray games will work ?

Thank you again.

18. 2
    rjrusek

rjrusek Loyal Member

I don't know of anyone. I know that I did it that way and it worked for me. Only way to unbrick that I can think of would be using a hardware flasher. Blueray games should work since the drive does work it just will not play back movies.

19. 1
    rayne241

rayne241 Loyal Member

can i do this method? even doe i didnt flag my ps3 when converting to dex?
    some says that "Do it only if you have qa_flag your console"?

20. 1
    jmga

jmga Loyal Member

┬┐Are you sure? I'm pretty sure I have used my CEX NOR file and I'm on the same problem.
    4.11DEX-->3.55DEX-->TUTORIAL PROCESS-->Rogero 3.55 CEX and now I cannot install any other update.