hit tracker

Tutorial: How to prepare the HDD (with preconfigured packages)

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by SDeath, Feb 28, 2014.

1. 276
    Fakk28

Fakk28 Loyal Member

Computer Technician, part time construction worker
    California for now, until I move to kick ass Texas
    Hey, I thought I would chime in here with a request.

I FINALLY got my PS3 to play a PSOne game backup. It is DetanaTwinbeeYahoo!DeluxePack JPN version. So I now know that the Cobra does indeed play PSOne ISOs as well, which is nice to know, but I am a bit disappointed that my PS3 (NTSC/J version) is basically stuck playing the Japanese only versions of PS1 ISOs. I do love a lot of the Japanese shooters, and will find those to be great to play on the system, but I would also like to play the US games of Silent Hill, Resident Evils and others as well. Do you think you can create a manager that can mod the region of PS1 ISOs on the fly, or perhaps make the PS3 console think that the BluRay drive is compatible with other region PS1 ISOs? It would also be useful to create a manager that does that for PS3 games, specifically for Persona 4 ARENA PS3 rip as I have a 1:1 IRD verified US version of that game that cannot be played on my NTSC/J PS3 due to Region Restrictions. :p Please let me know if this is possible to do, or if there is a way to forward this request to the Cobra ODE team that updates the firmware of the modchip. Thank you.

2. 4,823
    SDeath

SDeath Loyal Member

Quite an off topic request in this thread, it was better to open a new thread in the main section for that.
    But for PS3 games there are no restrictions in regions that I am aware of, they only apply to the analog outputs of the PS3, HDMI has no PAL or NTSC restrictions. I have used all regions PS3 games on mine without issues. As for the PS1 I don't think they will/could change that behavior, it's just how the PS3 works, you aren't able to play PAL PS1 games on a NTSC console I guess.

3. 276
    Fakk28

Fakk28 Loyal Member

Well, yes 99.99% of PS3 games are indeed region free. But, if you google Persona 4 ARENA for PS3, you will find out that this game is region restricted because Atlus was releasing the game cheaper in america than in Japan and they didn't want people in japan to import the american release to save $20. Lame I know, but that is how it is. There might be other games that are also region restricted for similar reasons, but none that I am aware of. Still, it would be cool to see Cobra ODE have on the fly region switching.

As for the PS1 Region switching, I am not trying to get a PAL game to play on an NTSC console. I want English NTSC PS1 game ISOs to play on my Japanese NTSC PS3. That would be really nice so that we can play the English games for RPGs and such and also play the Japanese shooters and fighters all on one console. There IS a PS1 Region changer application out there at theisozone website, but it only seems to work for modchipped PS1 consoles at the current time. I was hoping that the code could be implemented into the Cobra ODE and reworked a bit for instant region detection and playback of different region PS1 games. NTSC/J -> NTSC/U and vise versa shouldn't be that hard I would think.

Lastly, I can already playback PS2 Games that are PAL region on my NTSC PS3, (model CECH-A01), by inserting an original PS2 game like Manhunt, and then taking off the top of the console and br drive case and removing the game as it is spinning on the XMB, and then replacing it with my PAL PS2 game DVD-R and playing it. So the PS3 is capable of playing other region PS2 games if tricked into doing so. This is yet another thing I think would be nice to see added to the Cobra ODE as it is all BluRay drive related in the end which the ODE is emulating, so it should be possible by all means if the ODE FW is coded correctly to do so. I mean the ODE is already tricking the PS3 into thinking that the external HDD IS an actual BluRay drive with an authentic game inside it. All they need to do is add more code and tada, instant region detection and region switching. I know they can do it, the question is WILL they do it for us? I hope so. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2014
  4. 4,823
    SDeath

SDeath Loyal Member

I wouldn't get my hopes up for this, until now you are the only one requesting the feature. But he who knows right. ;-)

5. 276
    Fakk28

Fakk28 Loyal Member

Well, the thing is I really like FORBIDDEN SIREN 2 which was only released in an english form in Europe (PAL). SO I have always wanted to play the game on my PS2, and everyone in the world tried everything they can to rip the game to play on DVD-R on the american PS2, BUT, the game is dual layered due to all the different languages, and the high quality videos. So people tried ripping the languages and recompressing the videos and no matter what they did the game would not play on an american PS2. The videos would freeze or the game would not load, and the furthest they could get was getting it to play to level 4 and that's it. So I had a choice which is either wait for the game to become a PS3 HD remaster, OR buy a PAL PS2, and a PAL tv and have it all shipped to America which is expensive. SO, When I bought the American CECH-A01 I realized it has PS2 BC and so I tried to get that game to play on it. I realized that when you put a PS2 game in the console it will show up on the XMB and won't play it until you press X. So I did an experiment. I burned the DVD-R single layer RIP of Siren 2 PAL on a disc with just the extra languages ripped out, but the game itself is NOT recoded to NTSC and the videos are NOT down sampled. This disc will not work on the American PS2 at all due to the US PS2 not liking to playback PAL videos.

After burning the PAL game onto a Single Layered DVD, I decided to take off the top to my PS3, and take off the top to the BluRay drive making it easy to swap the disc. I made sure to use a game that is near identical in data size for the swap, which is my original Manhunt PS2 NTSC game which has a dummy file on it which makes it fill the entire disc. I put that bad boy into the PS3 and let the PS3 recognize the disc. After about 5 min the disc spins down and stops but the ICON of the PS2 disc remains on the XMB. I took off the magnet that holds down the game and replaced it with my PAL Siren 2 single layered DVD RIP and pressed X and to my absolute surprise the game plays on my damn unmodded CECH-A01 PS3! It does switch the TV to 540p but it plays! Lucky for me I just so happened to have a new LCD HDTV by SHARP that can play all region video signals! So I was finally able to play my damn SIREN 2 PS2 game and loved the hell out of it!

Now, IF we can just get the Cobra ODE to do region switching on the fly we can play any PS1, PS2, and PS3 game on any HDTV. I'm sure it is possible. I keep my fingers crossed. And yes I know that when it plays back Siren 2 it still plays in PAL signal, but it would be neat if it played it in NTSC signal so I wouldnt need a special HDTV to play it. Just a thought.

6. 49
    CobraODEUser

CobraODEUser Loyal Member

@SDeath
    Can we please get a new Version for the Version 2.1?
    Please create new Browser Package SuperStealth

7. 4,823
    SDeath

SDeath Loyal Member

I just got home today from my vacation, so no idea when I will have time to prepare some new packages.
    Just browsed through the new firmware files and there is no new manager released just a new cobra.db so you can just copy that one to your COBRA folder on your HDD. Nothing more that needs to be updated on the HDD judging by my fast scan through the files.

8. 49
    CobraODEUser

Thanks for you answer, hope you have a nice vacation.
    It don´t working for me when I copy the cobra.db to my folder, maybe I must change something in the cfg?
    Hope you have time to prepare some new packages at some time, I must waiting for the superstealth package from you.

Next time I don´t update before you release your superstealth package.

9. 4,823
    SDeath

SDeath Loyal Member

All I did after the upgrade was replace the cobra.db file (which isn't even required you can also leave the old one there if eveything was working fine with your bootdisc).
    The cobra.cfg doesn't need to be change most options in there are now default so we could leave them out but there is no harm in leaving them there.
    So something else must be wrong with your setup.
    Try to put back the old cobra.db and see how that goes.

10. 4,823
    SDeath

SDeath Loyal Member

I have updated the packages in the opening post to include the new cobra.db released on 14-06-2014 and made changes to the cobra.cfg file as most of the options are now on by default.
    Let me know if you encounter any problems with these changes as I didn't test them myself, but there should be no problems.

11. 6
    gameboygame

gameboygame Loyal Member

Hi, i used your package for my hdd, moreover i have all the same you have (CECH3004B, dt elements 1tb, and the newest cobra) but it freezes during playing Games. Thanks for help!
    note: i USD the hadd with a single cable (not a Y)

12. 4,823
    SDeath

SDeath Loyal Member

Update your ODE (version?) to the latest firmware version.

If that doesn't work then give extra power to the ODE using a USB wall charger and a mini USB cable connected to the min USB connector on the external PCB.

SZAKES45 likes this.
  13. 6
    gameboygame

gameboygame Loyal Member

Thanks a lot.

14. 100
    SZAKES45

SZAKES45 Loyal Member

could i ask before i do this please, if i get the stealth recommended HDD package what will it do? sorry for the question but you are a great help in many ways how do you keep up with all the questions!

15. 4,823
    SDeath

SDeath Loyal Member

How I keep up, by spending more time here than actual gaming. =-( ;-)

It will make sure all required files are on the external HDD, and it will have the cobra.cfg pre-configured so it shows you the Browser in the Videos and the Games section.

I created these packages as some where struggling with what files to put on the HDD and where, so I made these packages that have all the files in the right places.

SZAKES45 likes this.
  16. 49
    CobraODEUser

Thanks so much, now it is working perfect for me.
    I don´t know what I make wrong with my setup, but know it is all okey with your pakage.
    I really hope, that you can make for every Cobra Update a new package, when it is not so much work for you

17. 4,823
    SDeath

SDeath Loyal Member

These packages aren't that hard to update so expect one for every release. =-)

18. 4,823
    SDeath

SDeath Loyal Member

Updated the opening post with the newly released HDD packages following the new 2.2 firmware release.
    See the changelog in the opening post for changes.
    Enjoy!

19. 4
    digisoft

digisoft Loyal Member

Please upload packages in other sharehost because account on mediafire is suspended :(

20. 87
    super1bat

super1bat Loyal Member

Hi

I have the Browser SuperStealth Package,
    What do I need to change in cobra.cfg file to make it just Stealth,
    to show the COBRA Browser in the Games and Video section of the XMB ?

Thanks