hit tracker

Ugh, unlocking parts in Mario Kart 7...

Discussion in 'Game Backup (ROM's) Discussion' started by Ayodamianos, Feb 4, 2015.

1. 25
    Ayodamianos

Ayodamianos Loyal Member

Does anyone know if gateway or cubic ninja exploit users have any options in regards to hacking MK7 to get easy coins or simply unlocking all the parts? I really think Nintendo is retarded for requiring 20,000 coins to finish unlocking everything, while only allowing 10 coins per race...
    Anybody have any leads?
    My version is .CIA and I really don't want to download the .3ds file to do a pre-made save transfer as it has never worked for me, after days of trying to figure it out and following the tutorial perfectly. (which really needs way clearer instructions...)
    Also looking for a link to the actual description and full functions of savedatafiler as it seems the devs just gave us this tool without explaining anything about it.

2. 25
    nosklo

nosklo Loyal Member

I've used streetpass to lower the coin requirement. Each time you streetpass with someone you get to race their circuit and if you win you get a new part without having to get the coins. If you don't have friends with Mario Kart nearby to streetpass you could set up a homepass and get all parts quickly.

3. 176
    Shamier

Shamier Loyal Member

I believe that only the gold glider can be obtained by 100 streetpass connections?
    How does streetpass help getting the gold kart for example?

4. 25
    Ayodamianos

Ayodamianos Loyal Member

The street pass thing is wildly unpredictable in the sense that you can only unlock a single part from said person if they're currently using it AND you beat their grand prix in first place. It's equally labor intensive as collecting the coins for unlocks. Gateway really needs to release their cheat engine as their save game system has really screwed quite the number of us over in regards to hours being lost in games.
    And I'm sure I don't have to say that gateway needs to work on another version of savedatafiler that actually works and makes sense visually. Asides from having a completely retarded saving system to begin with.

5. 3,760
    lemanuel

lemanuel All-Knowing Lurker [Mod] Loyal Member

savedatafiler has nothing to do with GW tho. it came from the leaked SDK tools from Nintendo.

6. 12
    zakcng

zakcng Loyal Member

Has anyone actually got a save file for this?

7. 18
    Tkx

Tkx Loyal Member

Basically you use savedatafiler to export (press Y) your save data from emunand to the SD card storage twice, once with a certain gold value (like 5000) and another after you've gained/lost a bit of coins (like 4500 or something) and then compare the two saves in a hex editor on your computer (I suggest a free one, HxD).

You look for your # of coins in the same location of both saves (and it will always be at the same location, like 50 from the beginning of the "main" file, for example), and once you've found it, edit that to however many coins you want. You'll probably want to look up a guide for how hexadecimal works if you don't know.

Note that a lot of games have hash protection, meaning if you change something in the save file, you would have to change a specific other number to match, which is too complicated for me to do, but whoever made the Pokemon XY/ORAS save editor figured it out for Pokemon.

I think that older games generally don't have hash protection, so MK7 should probably work, although I've only tested it on a few games. Specifically, Etrian Odyssey Untold and Rune Factory 4 (it worked for EOU, but not for RF4).

8. 25
    Ayodamianos

Ayodamianos Loyal Member

MK games have been save protected since they released double dash on the GCN, but thanks for the info.

I'm not talking about SDF, I'm talking about how gateway forces you to shut down a game in order to transfer the save to the SD, which IMO is primitive in this day in age... I don't see why this can't be done by the gateway at intervals such as an eeprom dump every 15 mins to the SD that doesn't require returning to the home menu.They should acknowledge how unreliable their system is at the moment... I literally can't play a game for a few hours, close the 3DS, and come back to it periodically throughout the day, without the game crashing upon exiting to the home menu once I've spent a good 16 hours on and off beating half of a link between worlds.... That's not a flaw with my card either. They also update really slow. R4 would have an update out weekly for their ds flash carts back in the day.