hit tracker

Underground Gamer Goes Down Citing Legal Problems

Discussion in 'General Undergound Newz' started by GaryOPA, Jun 5, 2013.

By GaryOPA on Jun 5, 2013 at 10:02 AM
  1. 25,396
    GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
    Design Eng.
    Home Page:
    http://www.O-P-A.biz
    A private BitTorrent tracker specialized in pre-2004 game releases

Site owners claim there was 'Copyright Watchdogs' coming after them for old games like FIFA '98, so to protect their users, they wiped out the site and IRC channel info regarding finding old games!

[​IMG]

We all know how hard it is to find old 'retro games' on today's storeshelfs, even used game shops throw out games after they are a few generations old or even earlier, so 'Underground Gamer' was a torrent tracker and forums with people helping each other out in tracking down a copy of really old game like 'FIFA 98', but it seems even if the original publishers are long done and moved on, some 'Copyright Watchdogs' still care, and make it their business in going after this kind of 'retro trading' site.

NEWS SOURCE: Underground gamer goes down citing legal problems (via) TorrentFreak

Comments

Discussion in 'General Undergound Newz' started by GaryOPA, Jun 5, 2013.

1. 6,626
      tech3475

tech3475 Loyal Member

Wow, EA sure will make allot of money now thanks to people no longer pirating Fifa 98.

This is one problem I have with the 'black and white' approach to piracy since sometimes piracy is the only real/reasonable option or even as a backup. Obviously if a game is legitimately available (e.g. system shock 2) it's different subject to circumstances.

2. 5,961
      DEDDOA

DEDDOA Loyal Member

As soon as I read FIFA, I became unsurprised by the whole affair. I bet EA are planning their own version of GOG on Origin (a name that sullies the name of a once great developer, I miss Wing Commander and Privateer especially) though unlike GOG games they will be chock full of DRM and have online requirements.

3. 3
      zmame

zmame Loyal Member

I have no issue with going after people who stealing new releases.. there is a ton of stuff you wont find anywhere els on UG. IMO if you are not selling it or can't be bought over the counter, why should you not be allow to preserve it.

If they decide to re-release it then ask to remove it from the site don't be a dick about it.

I'm sure they will be back again, just worried about how much was lost.

billysastard likes this.
    4. 13,435
      billysastard

billysastard MaxConsole Co-Admin Loyal Member

Home Page:
      http://www.maxconsole.com
      well said, there has to be a balance somewhere between the copyright nazi's and preservation of what could be called "art" especially as our particular artform is coming to an end as this new generation begins and console gaming ends (except on wii u).

oh, and welcome to our forums.