hit tracker

Unofficial RetroArch Builds - UPDATED 3/3/13 - New Cores!!

Discussion in 'PS3 Homebrew Corner' started by pete_uk, Jun 6, 2012.

1. 86
    Twinaphex

Twinaphex Loyal Member

I actually know of a way to get NBA Jam and Mortal Kombat to run on PS3 with iMAME4All - but it involves hacking up the driver so there's no more sound. There's no telling what is really broken in this old codebase - MAME 0.36 was released back in 2000 - so it's almost 12 years old. Probably lots of endian issues and 32-bit isms.

I consider iMAME4All a stop-gap really for the real port which will be MAME 0.72 (released three years later - 2003) - iMAME4All is based on a very old MAME version and its emulation of games like Mortal Kombat 2 is definitely poorer than - say - MAME 0.72. This iMAME4All libretro port was originally intended for the Raspberry Pi - which has such a slow CPU (Pentium 2 300Mhz-esque performance) that it really needs a very, very old version of MAME for it to run well.

Again, if the MAME project had more concern for at least maintaining performance between versions we wouldn't have this problem where we have to resort to 10/12 year old versions of a project.

2. 50
    PS3emulators

PS3emulators Loyal Member

So we should really wait for mame72-libretto. I dream of running these games at full speed on the ps3, Twinaphex continue with the hard work! It is much appreciated. Thank you!

3. 9
    darklinkpower

darklinkpower Loyal Member

Nice job of libretro and cores developers. I just checked the github and there's a yabause and nxengine cores in development :) .
    I'm here to ask if anyone has problems with the version pete compiled that fixed the default directory location. The problem is that it seems it didn't fix it and it displays the directorys normally and when I enter a directory, the letter fron the previous directory keeps there over the new letters. Example: Root is dev_USB, Dev_hdd0,etc. I enter dev_hdd0 and the dev_USB, etc, maintain there and the new directorys (Games,etc) dissplay in the same place that the previous directorys, Dev_usb and games in the same location, making me unable to read it at all as one name is on other. And when i load a room, the sounds works as if it's running but the screen keeps in the menu. Maybe I'll have tu unnistall and install again...

4. 50
    PS3emulators

Yes, I'm having the same problem here too. I believe that will be resolved so themaister back from vacation, with the 0.9.7 update RetroArch

5. 352
    tonybologna

tonybologna Loyal Member

construction business owner, affiliate marketing,
    Any news updates on this square & pete? I think the DEX stuff has taken over the scene now. Thanks!

6. 189
    Ploggy

Ploggy Loyal Member

Looking at Mudlords git page PJ64 maybe coming to Retroarch? (I hope so soooo much) :p

PJ64-Next - Librero port of pj64 https://github.com/mudlord :)

7. 9
    darklinkpower

darklinkpower Loyal Member

OMG!! I would be the happiest man on earth if a perfect emulator of N64 could made it's way to the PS3! I dont know anything about programing but i think it's really difficult (the most difficult one) to make a port to the PS3. It will take at last 6 months if everything goes really fst i think but it's not an inconvenience really :d

8. 456
    STLcardsWS

STLcardsWS Loyal Member

Just rememnber guys RetroArch is multi-platform. could be a long time if ever on the ps3 (n64).. Would be great to see but i wouldnt get to excited yet..

9. 189
    Ploggy

Ploggy Loyal Member

I understand that but the fact that the project has started means it's only a matter of time before good stuff starts happening.
    When it come to things like this I have the patience of a saint. Trust me, I can wait it out :)

lol I still have hope Emualtemii team are going to finish their n64 port :p
    Plus the main reason I'm excited for Mudlords version is that it will be Multiplatform, on PS3 and 360 (and possibly Wii Too)?

10. 352
    tonybologna

tonybologna Loyal Member

construction business owner, affiliate marketing,
    Not anymore difficult than a Sega Saturn emulator for PS3. The Yabause one is terrible for PS3. Is it still even being worked on though?

11. 50
    PS3emulators

Pet_uk a build that fixes the problem on the menu at retroarch? Looking at the project in git hub There was a lot of work on it since then.

12. 65
    JediKnight007

JediKnight007 Loyal Member

Grocery store stocker,MILF hunter, cougar bait
    What is it about the PS3 that makes it hard to emulate a N64? Somewhere I read that N64
    emulators are x86 based, while the PS3 is PPC based, but I don't know whether that's true
    or if I read or understood that right. I do know that Saturn emulation is difficult on
    any platform, because it has like 8 processors. And yet, there is a Saturn emulator for
    PS3, albeit with limited playablity.

This will be like the 4th or 5th attempt at a N64 emu on PS3. I really hope it can be done,
    without people getting frustrated with it and quitting (or people's real lives getting in
    the way). It's really lame that I can play Zelda on my Android smartphone but not on my
    PS3. As much as I love NES, SNES, and the like, my all-time favorite system is by
    far the N64.

13. 456
    STLcardsWS

STLcardsWS Loyal Member

This is most likely not any attempt for a ps3 version..

As you see RetroArch covers many platforms

You will also notice many supported cores here that vary from platform to platform.

I Highly doubt the PS3 is in mind at this time for that n64 libretro core on the git.

Squarepusher aka TwinAphex (A RetroArch Developer) has said this in the recent past: link

So basically that why we have no N64, Saturn (i assume) and a PSone Emulator (besides the native PS3 one, that Cobra,ONE, & multiMAN use)

14. 780
    xPreatorianx

xPreatorianx Loyal Member

Home Page:
    http://deviant-generation.com/
    @pete_uk - I hate to ask you this, but is there anyway you could post up an unofficial build for the 360 version? Right now I only have my 360 until later this week/next week when I get my PS3 back, so I would like to mess around with this on my 360. Plus I wanna keep RetroArch on my 360 as well. That way whatever console I decide to boot up will have the potential of playing my favorite emulators.

15. 847
    pete_uk

pete_uk Crunchy Emu Compiler Loyal Member

I'm not promising anything, but I will see what I can do in the next couple of days ;)

16. 2
    mudlord

mudlord Loyal Member

Can't be a port. For consoles, the emulator should be designed to deal with thier pathetic performance. For instance Surreal64 had many things done to it to optimize speed.

Until braindead hackers add functionality for mprotect()/VirtualProtect() or equivalent, impossible to get decent speed on PS3. Yes, your precious hardware *is* that weak.

17. 65
    JediKnight007

JediKnight007 Loyal Member

Grocery store stocker,MILF hunter, cougar bait
    So unless someone finds a way around this lv2 thing, the only way we'll see an N64 emu is if someone makes a 3.41 only version.

Great.

Oh, well, it's not like there's a shortage of other retro systems the PS3 can play...

Oh, and by the way, there's more than "3 or 4 people still using PSjailbreak/PSgroove dongles"; it's got to be at least 7 or 8.

Although I must be the only person in the world still using a TI-84 Plus...

18. 777
    TomatOsaUce

TomatOsaUce Ex-Convict Loyal Member

Home Page:
    http://exconvict.org
    nahhhh just gotta wait til someone gets off their ass and gives me the stuff so I can pass it on :D

19. 86
    Twinaphex

Twinaphex Loyal Member

The only reason you can play an N64 emu at fullspeed on your Droid phone is because Ari at some point took the effort to write an ARM dynarec.

Not to mention we can't even use dynarecs in a normal way on CFW PS3s at this point - I'm still unsure what needs to happen to be able to use it in a way that would be portable to most CFW PS3s.

20. 847
    pete_uk

pete_uk Crunchy Emu Compiler Loyal Member

Updated PS3 version will be posted later today, after I have done some quick testing.
    I haven't had a chance to reinstall Visual Studio and the 360 SDK yet, but I haven't forgotten :p