hit tracker

Unofficial RetroArch Builds - UPDATED 3/3/13 - New Cores!!

Discussion in 'PS3 Homebrew Corner' started by pete_uk, Jun 6, 2012.

1. 1,107
    deank

deank multiMAN Developer Loyal Member

Home Page:
    http://multiavchd.deanbg.com/
    None of the cores return to multiMAN :( I thought it was fixed already. On the bright side - for 5 of the cores all is ok and roms can be loaded from multiMAN :)

Also I don't think it is a good idea to set any core as 'default' by renaming it to CORE.SELF! Doesn't salamander pick a default core when there is no .cfg or core.self?

2. 847
    pete_uk

pete_uk Crunchy Emu Compiler Loyal Member

By default when you compile RetroArch it names the core CORE.SELF. When you launch retroarch it will use CORE.SELF and then rename it to a proper name e.g fb_alpha.SELF

When I compile it I manually rename the cores to the proper names but I always leave the core last generated as CORE.SELF.
    I don't think it will make any difference as I sure I read Twinaphex say that it loads the first SELF it finds as the default.

I'm at work at the moment but will do some testing when I get home :)

3. 1,107
    deank

Home Page:
    Then it is better to leave all cores with their names and not rename any to CORE.SELF. It creates a problem for mM, because it looks for vba_next.SELF and it can't find it, because it is renamed. I created a workaround, but next week you may decide to have snes9x as CORE.SELF and all will go to hell :). mM calls the cores directly and needs their names not to change. It currently supports these 6 cores: snes9x, fba, fcu, vba, gen+ and gambatte.

4. 847
    pete_uk

I don't rename it to CORE.SELF, that's how it compiles :p

I will test it tonight with all of the cores set with the proper names (genesis_plus_gx, fb_alpha, fceumm, etc...) and if it works without problems, I will update the links :)

5. 1,107
    deank

Home Page:
    Just change CORE.SELF to vba_next.SELF. :)

In next mM you'll get support for roms in ZIP format (thanks to squarepusher) + some other cool things.

6. 847
    pete_uk

7. 847
    pete_uk

@DeanK - It seems as if RetroArch needs a CORE.SELF the first time it boots.
    If I rename CORE.SELF to vba_next.SELF before packaging, RetroArch will not boot and just returns to the XMB.
    If I put it back to CORE.SELF it boots fine and RetroArch renames it vba_next.SELF.

8. 1,107
    deank

Home Page:
    That shouldn't happen, because it is searching for the first .SELF and it should pick one. I'll ask square to take a look.

9. 847
    pete_uk

That's what I thought :)

10. 4,102
    gDrive

gDrive Not Your Mommas Tranny Clean-Up Crew

Home Page:
    http://techbliss.org
    Just a little suggestion here - I think there should be a feature whereby we immediately choose a cartridge ROM dump/disc image and then the appropriate core gets uploaded (or if a disc image is loaded but more than one emulator uses such files, then there should be a Windows-style Open-With popup), instead of having to go through the Settings just to select a core and then restarting the emulator just to start up that said core.

Then again, I've only used RetroArch only once so I really didn't know what the heck was going on LMAO, but I've used SP/TA's emulators before (pre-RetroArch).

11. 847
    pete_uk

Hopefully that's what the multiman integration will do :p

And the newer versions are easier to use, When you've got a rom running, Press R3 and select "Change Libretro Core"

12. 4,102
    gDrive

gDrive Not Your Mommas Tranny Clean-Up Crew

Home Page:
    http://techbliss.org
    Actually, you can change the Libretro Core even before you upload the game via the Settings Menu, but anyway, it's all fine and dandy now - just found it confusing at first LOL, but yeah, like you said, hopefully mM integration will sort that out! :)

13. 456
    STLcardsWS

STLcardsWS Loyal Member

@Deank, if you seen this suggestion elsewhere by me sorry. I know i put it somewhere just forgot where.

But i would like to see a "browse by system" option. some of the cores emulate one system where other emulate many & when you have covers. I think it would look much better when you have the cores split up by system, rather then core..

Maybe cores by default but an option to browse by the system with an edit to option.ini or something that directing each system to a core.. Again only if possible and if you think such a feature is needed/feasible..

I am looking forward for the RetroArch support no matter in what form. :)

Thanks

14. 1,107
    deank

Home Page:
    Actually Retroarch is supported in the latest versions of mM if you edit the options.ini with the proper paths to the cores (except the new stuff with gambatte.SELF). Currently mM supports 5+1 cores and the whole stuff is organized by 'core' and not system. It is close to impossible to rearrange everything retro-related to be 'system'-oriented.

15. 456
    STLcardsWS

STLcardsWS Loyal Member

Thanks Dean will give that a try with the new version!!

That's all i needed to hear :).. Thanks.

Just to make sure i have this right.

1. Snes9x Next (supported)
    2. FCEU_MM (supported)
    3. VBA Next (supported)
    4. Final Burn Alpha (supported)
    5. Genesis-Plus-GX 1.7 (supported)

* (separate cores for NEOGEO (fba_cores_neo) and CPS1/2 (fba_cores_cps))
    Will the seperate Neo Geo and FBA cores be supported?

Gamebatte - (not supported or just not the new stuff sorry not sure what you mean by "new stuff")

iMame4All - (not supported) (WIP build)
    Mednafen_PCE_fast (not supported) (WIP Build)
    Mednafen_wswan (not supported) (WIP build)

Thanks again for all the work you and square have done to make multiMAN comp. with RetroArch

16. 1,107
    deank

Home Page:
    Yes, this is the +1 core which is used with non- .gba roms like .gb, .gbc.

To use fba_cores_neo/cps I'll need a way to distinguish the compatible roms. Currently only fba core is used.

17. 456
    STLcardsWS

STLcardsWS Loyal Member

EDIT: I need to learn and read a page back.. :)

My questions was already answered back there regarding zip files, and them showing up. but it appears they will have zip file support..

18. 86
    Twinaphex

Twinaphex Loyal Member

I see people mentioning fba_cores_neo and fba_cores_cps1/cps2 and just thought I should mention something -

You don't need to use fba_cores_neo and fba_cores_cps1/cps2 on PS3/360. There's really no point to it.

These versions of FBA are meant for systems that have only 64MB of RAM available (or less) - they are cut down in size so that they will fit into the Wii/Xbox 1's RAM and still able to load most of the big ROMs.

On 360/PS3 we have at least 256MB main RAM available (and 512MB on 360 ) - so there's no need to use anything other than the main FBA libretro port.

Hope this clears up some things.

19. 65
    JediKnight007

JediKnight007 Loyal Member

Grocery store stocker,MILF hunter, cougar bait
    Yep, the same thing happened to me. I tried to select a input preset from the previous version, and I
    couldn't L3+R3 back to the game. Eventually, the screen went black, then the menu came back
    without the background image, and the program froze. So I deleted the presets, and tried to redo
    them.

What happens is when you change a button's function, it also changes the menu's function. So if you
    change RetroPad Button B (default is Cross) to Triangle, Triangle now will perform the functions of
    Cross on the menus. Change RetroPad Button L1 to R1, R1 will scroll backwards through the menus
    instead of forward. This was not present in the older versions.

I also noticed 2 other input-related bugs; don't know whether they're 3.41 specific or not...

1. Press R3 to get to the menu, then press Circle to go back to the game (or select Return to
    Game and press Cross). That button press will register when you return to the game. This has
    been around since the first release.

2. The input screen when using the Genesis core shows the generic A/B/X/Y/Start/Select control
    scheme. The previous versions showed a more console-specific A/B/C/X/Y/Z/Start/Mode
    scheme.

20. 86
    Twinaphex

Twinaphex Loyal Member

True, this logic got changed - and to be honest, I did not anticipate the problem you're describing on your end.

I'll try to more or less hardcode the input binds for the menu so that the RetroArch keybind configuration won't be carried over for menu settings.

UPDATE: Fixed this -

https://github.com/Themaister/RetroArch/commit/72d58954c32664a4ea99d29c9a53d0a8b0675abf

The only way to 'fix' that would be to add a delay so that no input would be happening for a split second or so, and I don't think people will like the side effects of that either. So it is what it is.

This is not a bug - it got taken out.

It will be reintroduced later when I have a cleaner way to do this.