hit tracker

UPDATED: Official MaxConsole Stargate 3DS Review

Discussion in 'Official 'Stargate 3DS' Support Forum' started by realtimesave, Dec 10, 2017.

By realtimesave on Dec 10, 2017 at 3:13 AM
  1. 390
    realtimesave

realtimesave MaxConsole Product Reviewer MaxConsole News Team

The wait is finally over. The ultimate Nintendo 3DS flash cart is here: the Stargate 3DS.
    [​IMG]

In this review, the basic operations of this flash cart will be covered as well as testing several DS and 3DS games. This flash cart is plug and play and can switch between DS and 3DS mode on the fly as well as within its DS menu.

After my initial review of the pre-release version earlier this weekend, the StarGate 3DS team has been working with me on some of the issues i found during my initial review and extensive testing, and I have posted an update from them HERE which you can read, and have updated some of my points in my review below.

Please note that this is a pre-release version of the Stargate 3DS Nintendo 3DS flash cart. The final version may differ slightly and have improved compatibility over this one. This flash cart currently does not support “region free” (Retail ROM images of games from outside the region of the console it is inserted into are not supported. For example, it does not officially play Japan and Europe ROMs on a USA system). If you require region free, use Ntrboothax / magnethax and install a CFW (custom firmware).

In the past, 3DS flash carts required files to be copied onto the internal SD card of the console and the user to go into some system menus to launch. That is not the case with the Stargate 3DS. It operates similar to the old style DS flash carts, only requiring its firmware files and menu to be copied directly to its own microSD card. This is very convenient especially for New 3DS owners because now the user is not required to open the back of the New 3DS or the side panel of the Old 3DS system to get the MicroSD or SD card out of their system.

We will begin by taking a look at the Stargate 3DS package and its contents.

IMG_3041.JPG IMG_3042.JPG

IMG_3043.JPG IMG_3044.JPG

IMG_3045.JPG IMG_3046.JPG

The Stargate 3DS ships in a tall thin box with a matte finish. Within the box is the Stargate 3DS as well as a MicroSD to USB adapter with a nice Stargate 3DS logo printed on it. The inner box also has the Stargate 3DS logo and has a flap secured by a small transparent circle sticker.

This flash cart is the easiest to set up and use. This is the first and only 3DS flash cart that operates as plug and play. All that is required is copying the firmware / menu set to the MicroSD card that is to be inserted into the flash cart. Once this is done, insert the Stargate 3DS into the 3DS console and turn it on. This flash cart can also be ejected and removed and put back in while the system is operating just like a retail cartridge.

IMG_3047.JPG IMG_3052.JPG

When inserting the Stargate 3DS into the console, the cover sticker can get caught on the metal chassis of the system. This is not going to be the case on the final product. A thinner sticker will come with it. The pre-release cartridge itself is not too thick but it is just thick enough for this to become a small issue. Removing the cartridge is easy but it may not come out as smoothly as a retail cartridge due to the sticker being just thick enough to cause it to be a tiny bit snug inside the console.

IMG_3049.JPG IMG_3048.JPG

The Stargate 3DS comes equipped with a small set of two buttons, a micro USB female port, and an LED changing color light indicator for operation. The two small buttons are for selecting 3DS ROMs but when both are pressed at the same time, the flash cart enters DS mode. To update the internal firmware of the flash cart, there is a micro USB female port included. This port is not important to this review because there is no new firmware available currently so the operation of this port will not be included. For the light indicators, when the LED is red, that means there is a problem with the microSD card that is inserted. Green indicates that it is reading the game image and a momentary purple flash indicates that its status is OK.

Let’s try out some games and test both 3DS and DS modes.

3DS games can be selected either by using the left and right buttons on the flash cart or from within the Nintendo DS flash cart mode’s menu which will be discussed next.

IMG_3081.JPG IMG_3055.JPG

IMG_3113.JPG

Tested 3DS games:

Working:
    • Asphalt 3D
    • BlazBlue Continuum Shift 2
    • Bust a Move Universe
    • Castlevania Mirror of Fate US
    • Corpse Party
    • Disney Art Academy
    • Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D (New 3DS XL with CFW)
    • Dragon Ball Fusions
    • Dragon Quest VII
    • Hyrule Warriors Legends
    • Kid Icarus Uprising
    • Kirby Planet Robobot
    • Kirby Triple Deluxe
    • Lego City Undercover
    • Madden Football
    • Mario Golf World Tour
    • Mario Kart 7
    • Mario Party Island Tour
    • Mario Tennis Open
    • Megaman Legacy Collection
    • Metroid Federation Force
    • Metroid: Samus Returns (New 3DS XL with CFW)
    • Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
    • New Super Mario Bros. 2 (dumped from original cart through Godmode9)
    • Picross 3D Round 2 New 3DS
    • Pilotwings Resort
    • Pokemon Omega Ruby and Omega Sapphire
    • Pokemon X and Y
    • Puzzle Dragons Z + Puzzle Dragons Super Mario Edition
    • Rayman 3D
    • Ridge Racer 3D
    • Sega 3D Classics Collection
    • Sega 3D Classics Collection Volume 2 Japan (New 3DS XL with CFW)
    • Sega 3D Classics Collection Volume 3 Japan (New 3DS XL with CFW)
    • Shadow Warriors Chronicles
    • Sonic Boom Fire and Ice
    • Starfox 64 3D
    • Steel Diver Sub Wars (dumped from original cart through Godmode9)
    • Super Mario 3D Land
    • The Oregon Trail
    • Transformers Dark of the Moon
    • World Wrestling All Stars
    • WRC FIA World Rally Championship (New 3DS XL with CFW)
    • Yoshi's New Island
    • Zelda A Link Between Worlds
    • Zelda Triforce Heroes
    Not Working:
    • All eShop 3DS titles
    • All Europe games (on a US console, region free is not supported yet)
    • All Japan games (on a US non-modified console)
    • Castlevania Mirror of Fate Japan (on a US console, region free is not supported yet)
    • eShop 3D Classics Kid Icarus
    • eShop Mega Man 6
    • Mario Party The Top 100
    • New Super Mario Bros. 2 (bad dump)
    • Pokemon Sun and Moon
    • Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon
    • Steel Diver: Sub Wars (bad dump)
    IMG_3076.JPG IMG_3078.JPG

IMG_3079.JPG IMG_3080.JPG

IMG_3084.JPG IMG_3085.JPG

IMG_3088.JPG IMG_3090.JPG

IMG_3091.JPG IMG_3097.JPG

IMG_3099.JPG IMG_3100.JPG

IMG_3101.JPG IMG_3102.JPG

IMG_3109.JPG

IMG_3111.JPG IMG_3112.JPG

IMG_3103.JPG IMG_3104.JPG

IMG_3107.JPG IMG_3108.JPG

Some 3DS titles are not working which are the newest games. This is going to be addressed in a future update. Bad dumps that work on other flash carts do not work on the Stargate 3DS. I was amazed to see that the “scene” improperly dumped at least a couple of common games and that I could do an exact duplicate of a retail cart without any issue. Of course I had to use CFW in order to dump the games myself.

In order to access DS mode, press both buttons on the flash cart together while the system is on. The Alex Rider: Stormbreaker game icon will then be displayed and upon launching will take the user to the DS menu. DS games are directly launched and played from within this menu. If a 3DS game is selected, it will take the user back to the 3DS system menu and display the icon for the game there. Please note that I tested Castlevania games which, in the past, had compatibility issues with slow microSD cards in DS flash carts.

Tested DS games:

Working:
    • Advance Wars: Dual Strike
    • Age of Empires: Age of Kings (Europe)
    • Bomberman DS (Japan)
    • Call of Duty 4 (Japan)
    • Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
    • Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia
    • Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin
    • Chrono Trigger
    • Diddy Kong Racing
    • Dragon Quest V
    • Mario Kart DS
    • Metal Slug 7
    • Pokemon Diamond
    • Super Mario 64 DS
    • Tetris DS
    • Yoshi Touch & Go
    Not working:
    • None!
    IMG_3053.JPG IMG_3057.JPG

IMG_3064.JPG IMG_3065.JPG

IMG_3066.JPG IMG_3067.JPG

IMG_3068.JPG IMG_3069.JPG

IMG_3070.JPG IMG_3071.JPG

IMG_3072.JPG IMG_3073.JPG

IMG_3058.JPG IMG_3059.JPG

IMG_3060.JPG IMG_3061.JPG

All Nintendo DS games work fine and do not freeze. Just remember to format the microSD card as FAT32, otherwise you will get two white screens and be forced to either go back to the main system menu or power off the console. Currently this flash cart does not currently support exFAT for DS games, but this will be added later in a future update.

IMG_3123.JPG IMG_3124.JPG

IMG_3125.JPG IMG_3126.JPG

IMG_3127.JPG IMG_3128.JPG

IMG_3115.JPG IMG_3116.JPG

IMG_3117.JPG IMG_3118.JPG

On a New 3DS system with CFW (custom firmware), I was able to get a couple Japanese games to work. These were: Sega Classics Collection volumes 2 and 3. The other game I tested, Castlevania: Mirror of Fate (Japan version) did not work. Keep in mind that neither region free nor CFW is currently supported by Stargate 3DS and since there are multiple different CFW in the wild, you can possibly get region free to work on your own for more games.

The problem with running CFW on the New 3DS is that it makes the Stargate 3DS’ DS mode incompatible with the console and it will display garbled screens on both the upper and lower screens, asking the user to select a language. This is not normal operation of the DS mode on this flash cart. CFW is not currently officially supported by the Stargate 3DS and different CFW versions may have different results. If you already have CFW on your system and need to uninstall it, use the B9S-Uninstall script after launching Godmode9.

Another problem I found was that DS games give two white screens if launched from a microSD card formatted with exFAT. The DS games ran flawlessly from a FAT32 volume microSD card. exFAT will be added for DS games in a future update.

IMG_3119.JPG IMG_3120.JPG

IMG_3121.JPG IMG_3122.JPG

Compatibility with late 3DS games was also an issue. Every ROM ran fine up until Mario Party The Top 100, Pokemon Sun and Moon, Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, and Metroid: Samus Returns. Metroid: Samus Returns ran fine when the New 3DS was running CFW but would not be recognized after CFW was removed from the console. Compatibility for these games is being worked on and will be included in a future update to the cartridge's firmware.

I also found that if you are running the incorrect system firmware revision, newer games will refuse to load. So make sure that you are running the appropriate version of the system firmware for the games you are playing. This is a ROM software issue and not an issue related to the Stargate 3DS itself.

Nintendo eShop 3DS ROMs are also incompatible with the Stargate 3DS. They will not run and if the user manages to select the game on the main screen of the 3DS, it will not display an icon for the game. The eShop games are hacked to work so it is not too surprising that they do not work on this flash cart.

The Stargate 3DS supports online gaming mode. This requires a proper header file to be applied to the ROM to be played online. In the past, we saw the need for a new file extension: *.3dz files. The *.3dz file extension games do not display in its menu and cannot be launched. Renaming the *.3dz files to *.3ds allows the games to be recognized and to launch and be played online.

This flash cart is the latest and to be the greatest flash cart of all time after team Stargate 3DS does a few updates. Currently, it is excellent for those whom just want to play their region of 3DS games and DS games without having to modify their console in any way. Team Stargate is prepared to support this product for several years with updates to both 3DS and DS modes. We should be seeing better compatibility of games, DS cheat mode, better exFAT support, region free, and more in the future.

In its current state, with the issues faced while testing this flash cart, I give this flash cart a B+. It is excellent as a plug-and-play flash cart but lacks a few features that people are used to seeing in a 3DS flash cart package.

Pros:
    • Supports all Nintendo 3DS and 2DS console variants.
    • Supports all versions of System NAND (all of the 3DS console’s internal system “Version”).
    • Fully plug and play.
    • Supports 99% of 3DS games per console region (future updates will allow the entire library to run).
    • Supports all DS games.
    • Supports exFAT and FAT32 file systems (older 4GB 3DS ROMs do work in exFAT).
    • Drag and drop ROM file support to microSD card.
    • Does not require any files to be installed on the console’s internal SD card.
    • Does not require the 3DS console to be software or hardware modified.
    • Supports both DS and 3DS games.
    • Supports online gaming.
    • On the fly switching between DS and 3DS mode.
    • 3DS and DS ROMs supported within the DS mode menu.
    • Better updates supporting more CFW variants will be added.
    • Super NES and a few more in house emulators are in the works.
    • A new Japanese font will be added that will be more readable, as requested by Japanese users.
    • Low power consumption SoC design.
    • Updates for years to come (no need to buy a new flash cart later).
    Cons:
    • DS games do not work from exFAT microSD cards (FAT32 file system is required, this will be addressed in a future update).
    • The latest 3DS games do not currently work (this will be addressed in future updates).
    • Nintendo eShop 3DS games do not currently work (eShop titles are tricky even on CFW).
    • Not officially region free (install CFW if region free is required).
    • Does not fully support all CFW (custom firmware. Updates to compatibiity will be added).
    • Does not support Gateway 3DS split rom format (use exFAT for large ROMs greater than 2GB in size. This wil be added in the future).
    • Does not have a spring loaded microSD card slot. (some people prefer it this way and the final product may differ from this pre-release version)
    • Stargate 3DS sticker can easily get caught on the 3DS chassis when inserting the cart. (Since this is a pre-release of the product, this will be addressed on the final version of the cart with a thinner sticker)
    Final Review Notes!

After my initial review of the pre-release version earlier this weekend, the StarGate 3DS team has been working with me on some of the issues i found during my initial review and extensive testing, and I have posted an update from them HERE which you can read, and have updated some of my points in my review above.

Many thanks to Team Stargate 3DS for providing me with this pre-production review sample before the final retail versions ship out next week to resellers and pre-orders. This flash card kit normally retails for around 70 to 90 Euros (shop around for the best price, check out the official resellers listed on the Stargate website) and is definitely the future of gaming on the Nintendo 3DS handheld. This flash cart on-board CPU is also totally firmware upgradable via its MicroUSB port and as such will be supported with many updates by Team Stargate for years to come. Plus alot of my cons reviewing the pre-production model have already been addressed by the team and updated firmware will soon be available on their official website which is linked below.

Our very own @JHardin1112 has also released a nice review of the StarGate 3DS on his NintendoFuse website, check it out here, plus he has added a simple video on how it works, which you can watch below! :)

OFFICIAL SITE: --> http://www.StarGate-3DS.com
    1. USA reseller: http://www.mod3dscard.com https://usachipss.com/
    2. UK reseller: https://www.nx-card.com/
    3. Canada reseller: https://flashcarda.com/
    4. Italy reseller: https://italiamods.com/
    5. BUY IT NOW via Shop01Media: --> http://www.shop01media.com/en/SG-3DS-Stargate-3DS-flash-card-Nintendo-3DS?tracking=55d384d869281
    6. http://www.sxflashcart.com/home/26-stargate-3ds.html (UK reseller)
    7. http://www.jeux-land.com/accueil/20-stargate-3ds.html (UK reseller)
    8. http://www.gospiel.com/home/22-stargate-3ds.html (German Reseller)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2019
    Leobgood likes this.

Comments

Discussion in 'Official 'Stargate 3DS' Support Forum' started by realtimesave, Dec 10, 2017.

1. 94
      Andy A

Andy A Loyal Member

It all depends on how new the game is. The reviewer found some newer games didn't work, there's a small list of tested games in the review,

You could ask him to test a specific ROM I suppose, but that would be up to him to even be willing to do.

2. 365
      DW360

DW360 Loyal Member

i am currently testing my card now, its likely that its a review unit but i do have to remove and re insert a few times before it detects.

also i am having to try source normal dumps of 3ds roms for multi region consoles that i have to test.

i have tested one ds game and it stuck on loading screen, i have yet to try find a 3ds rom for my jap console to see if it works.

i am also sourcing uk, american and austrialian roms for testing.

all i find lately are cemu decrypted roms, sods law i forgot to pay my private server bill so cant download a rom pack :(.

i hope they include region free support because im sure customers will find it annoying to try source their games again for their region,..... my problem is having one of each region O_O

3. 390
      realtimesave

After much testing since my initial review of pre-release StarGate 3DS flashcart, and having much discussion with team regarding my issues, they have issued the following statement regarding upcoming changes in newer firmware that will be posted soon on their official site, and with changes made already to retail StarGate flashcarts which are shipping out to resellers close to the 15th of Dec. which are greatly improved since my review of pre-production model which was shipped to me.
      Updates coming soon in new firmware:
      Clarifications:
      So there you go, the team is listening to early feedback, and updates are already in the works, and much more greatness is planned for this new flashcart that will work no matter what Nintendo does to their firmware, as its totally plug&play without any need of patches, or other changes to your 3DS handheld, so stay tuned, as things are moving along fast, and only going to get better from here on out! :)

4. 365
      DW360

DW360 Loyal Member

Also can i question this part in the CON:

• DS games do not work from exFAT microSD cards (FAT32 file system is required, this will be addressed in a future update)
      My SD Card is formatted as Exfat and I am running DS roms.

5. 390
      realtimesave

It didn't work on any of my microSD cards. What brand and size are you using? They emailed me and told me that there's compatibility problems with some microSD cards for DS mode with exFAT but didn't say that none work.

6. 365
      DW360

DW360 Loyal Member

MicroSD card i am using is a kingston 32GB

7. 390
      realtimesave

Oh cool I have one of those. I would have to move all the data off it to try though.

8. 561
      AlbedoAtoned

AlbedoAtoned Loyal Member

Back when I did the guide it was to use menuhax and rxtools as the cfw with an emunand. Several months later I followed the guide to install B9S. I was surprised it took only a couple minutes. THough because I was using an emunand I had to follow the part of the guide about moving the emunand to the sysnand which took considerably longer. But if my 12 year old nephew can follow the guide and hack his 3ds, an adult should be able to as well. I know plenty of people that have absolutely no experience with tech. I've had plenty of experience helping my step-brother do things on his computer that would take me just a couple minutes (though he's gotten better at it over time). Even he could understand a guide like at 3ds.guide.

I am aware that there are less inclined users and that a brick risk is more likely. However I have an inkling of a feeling that these people didn't actually brick their 3ds. A big possibility was that they either removed the SD card or deleted the boot.firm file from the sd since it needs that file to boot. It's easily fixable by just redownloading the firm file. If they did brick it, I have a hard time seeing how with b9s. The guide was written to be as foolproof as possible and the guides that tend to come with flash carts are usually not as easy to follow. Sometimes the language was written by somebody who clearly was not much of an English speaker. In the end many people end up looking to the scene for help.

As answered on the guide's FAQ.

"Q: How risky is hacking my console?
      A: Bricks are now basically impossible unless you ignore/circumvent all safety checks."

Bricking when installing B9S and lumaCFW pretty much needs to be deliberate now a days. NTRBOOT can be used to fix a brick provided you made a dump of the nand from when it wasn't bricked. Which if you followed the guide you would have done.

Except you don't have to worry about B9S or Luma being blocked. The most Nintendo can do is try to stop the sales of flash carts which includes Stargate 3ds. And considering they still can't stop the sale of DS flash carts after all of these years, no chance. B9S can't be removed once installed and can be installed on any vulnerable 3ds. So Nintendo worked to patch out the vulnerabilities that made B9S possible for a user. But then NTRBoot came out. NTRBOOT is impossible to patch out without putting out a new hardware revision. Basically this means anybody can get a ds flash cart and hack their 3ds. There are several methods to flash a flash cart to work with ntrboothax. Depending on flash cart you could even flash it using a 3ds on the newest OFW. You could also flash them using a ds (seems to be any of them will work, though the dsi method is slightly different and is also compatible with 3ds consoles provided the cart is compatible with your firmware).

Multi rom - support not needed with cfw
      region free - CFW has it by default
      Cheat code engine - CFW has BootNTR selector (not to be mistaken for NTRBOOT) And most gateway cheats were just converted from NTR plugins

These are all features CFW has and Gateway got most of them after CFW did, sometimes by several months. Not to mention that in the past they have made a lot of broken or delayed promises.

I am aware that it was intentional and the reasons. However, that does not make it any better. In fact it makes the situation far worse. Because that's a Time Bomb waiting to explode. Not only that, there was already an free way to install A9LH without Gateway. It was also a heavily gimped version of the actual A9LH, for instance not having any protection from updates. Updating would either brick you or would remove A9LH. It also lacked other features from A9LH such as preventing you from being able to use other CFW and tools that need those CFW, at least initially.

Lastly, it was completely counter productive to increasing sales. When NTRboot came out ds flash cart sales jumped to the point that some retailers were having issue keeping up with the new demand. If Gateway had provided a way to install A9LH in a quick and easy manner then sales of that would have jumped. Especially since you yourself said it was old by that point. Not to mention if there were indeed any reason to use a gateway over just CFW, then the time bomb would not have been needed in the first place. I guarantee you that time bomb turned away far more people than Gateway earned by trying to hold people's 3ds consoles ransom. It turns out that locking people to a gimped version of what everybody else is getting for free with an added time bomb is not a great way to sell something. It's why most of the r4 clones don't advertise their time bombs, but at the very least, they don't seem to brick your console when the time bomb goes off.

Actually CFW on the 3ds doesn't require itself to be written to the nand. Boot9Strap isn't actually the CFW. THe actual CFW most use on the 3ds is luma, but any cfw would work. All you need to do is name their firm file to boot.firm and put it on the SD card. You can even do that with tools such as godmode9 and when turned on it will launch that file. If there is no boot.firm on the sd card it will look for it on the console ctrnand. It's generally recommended to put luma's cfw there so it can boot without an sd card. If following the guide it is done with a script file to automate the process. You only need to do this once, or maybe once in a while because it is mostly just a fallback. For the most part you just update your cfw by putting the newest firm on the sd card and making sure it is named boot.firm.

That's what I thought. Though when I played Bravely Default's JPN version (it's in english and uncensored) and one of the mario games european version (it was the only link that worked at the time) I didn't get hit with any banhammer so I doubt the region of the header is much of a problem. But then again I played them using a private header that came from a same region game.

I have no issue with viruses. I use ublock origin, and noscript and whitelist sites I trust (few seem to earn that trust though). Most of the problems are if the link works. A lot of the time they have been taken down. Other issues are if you need a premium account. And since every uploader seems to use a different host, getting premium for them all is huge waste of money and not really feasible. Some hosts are really slow as well or have other limits. Most of my downloading in general is done through jdownloader. I copy the links and if jdownloader says they are still up I add to my download list.

What I generally do for 3ds games is that I either use freeshop or wii u usb helper. Cia files aren't very big btw and SD cards are actually quite cheap for 3ds games. When my nephew bought his ds flash cart, it was a bit less than $22 (shipping included) though back then only 2 flash carts that were supported. Now far more are and some cost as little as 10 though I didn't account for shipping in that number. Now, say you bought a ds flash cart for $25 and you needed an SD card. You can get a 128GB microSD sd card from amazon for around $40 (See 1.). You can also get a 200GB micro SD for around $70-$80(See 2.).
      1.https://www.amazon.com/Sandisk-Ultra-200GB-Micro-Adapter/dp/B073JY5T7T/ref=dp_ob_title_ce
      2.https://www.amazon.com/Sandisk-Ultra-200GB-Micro-Adapter/dp/B073JY5T7T/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

Space isn't going to be an issue. Hell, even if you install from CIA, you can tell FBI to delete the CIA as soon as it has been installed. Doing it that way only requires enough space to install the largest game. At 128GB you might not likely to even need that much space and 200 will likely be way overkill. Now the Stargate3ds price mentioned 70-80 euros which comes out to about 82 to 105 dollars. And you haven't even added in a microSD in yet. Most places that sell flashcarts do not include a microSD for free.

You can pay more to add one, though their prices tend to be really high compared to most retailers such as Amazon or Best Buy like twice as high. I pretty much never buy their SD cards and so choose to buy from amazon where the price is much cheaper. But assuming you buy the micro sd from amazon you would still be spending more before you even added the sd card to the cart. In fact your total would be practically doubled if you bought the 200GB micro sd.

And since most 3ds roms are bigger than their cia versions, you will be more likely to need that space. I (still) have a sky3ds (I bought it when my 3ds was not hackable) and when all was said and done I was able to install all of the same games as on it to the 3ds itself and still had room for more games and both the sd card in the system and the microsd in the flash cart were the same size. And I didn't need twice the space to install them all either. You only need enough head room for the cia it is installing and afterward it will delete the cia file if you told it to. If you're that worried then you can install the biggest games first.

Actually there is a difference between having homebrew access and being able to install an app like freeshop. As I mentioned above, I actually have a sky3ds. Back when I bought it my 3ds firmware was not hackable. But I could still access the homebrew launcher and run homebrew. You could even run FBI, but that alone didn't mean anything for actually hacking since you still needed permissions to do things like install most cia files. Which is why when a new exploit to allow users to downgrade came out, I pounced on it. So for a while my 3ds was on version 9.2 which allowed you to create an emunand and use cfw with it. And while I never bothered with A9LH, I installed B9S almost immediately. Unfortunately my nephew ended up updating his 3ds like that very day and so couldn't hack his since soundhax and the udsexploit was patched.

Even if you could install it, you still need permissions to run it. And for both of these things you would need CFW which fortunately the card supposedly can help with since it does say it is compatible. However by doing so you lose half of it's function, the DS side since DS mode doesn't work with it. Once with CFW you can of course install and use Freeshop. Most CFW (Luma included) is also region free by default. Also, without CFW, any title installed with freeshop will not be recognized as legitimate and therefore will not run.

If you're doing anything be it with a flash cart or cfw, you risk getting banned when playing it online. That said, the risk for either is actually quite low and fairly easily fixed with CFW. But you're wrong about flashcarts never promoting online play. That's generally their number one strategy to promote themselves over CFW is to make it seem like getting banned is such a big risk with cfw (and not mentioning that such a ban is usually fixable quite easily by overwriting your localfriendcodeseed_b file with another one).

I personally don't care about online gameplay. The closest I ever got was that village feature in Bravely default where connecting online would get you more villagers. I found a NTR plugin for the game that allowed you to add more villagers without online so if I ever got banned I'd be good. Note: Getting banned doesn't prevent you from buying or playing games from the eshop. All of the bans have been console bans not nnid bans.

I prefer not to look at it like that. Everybody at some point is a noob. They'll generally make mistakes during this time. But I'm not going to just sit back and tell somebody to spend $80 or more on a flashcart that can do the same thing a 10-20 flashcart can. If there is a guide that makes hacking your system super easy I would rather point them in that direction rather than let them be "cannon fodder". I'm quite used to working with a noob. But he's smart enough to ask for advice before spending nearly that kind of money. Best I can hope for is that somebody is receptive to the advice. If they aren't. I wouldn't really consider them a noob. I'd consider them a fool since there is a far superior option that is much cheaper. And they say that a fool and their money is easily parted.

Also, you could be waiting a while before getting those features. Gateway's team doesn't have the best of records when it comes to quickly getting features. After all, it did take them 2 years to get cheat support and it came several months after CFW already had it. And their history with region free was spotty at best being an on again and off again feature throughout it's lifespan. In all honestly, they're more likely to gain those features by fixing their DS mode to work with CFW. If you lack the patience to wait a couple years for these thing, I would suggest investing in a DS flash cart (but only if you want to play DS games with CFW).

9. 115
      winchain

winchain Loyal Member

just want to make a clarification,
      that statement was the exact opposite,
      most NTR plugins were just converted from gateway cheats, without gateway cheats, there would be way way less NTR plugins out there right now

10. 365
      DW360

DW360 Loyal Member

I was going to quote but couldnt be arsed.

I think this user has a beef with Gateway for some reason, most features that Gateway offered came before CFW, we need to remind ourselves that its only been the last year or so that CFW has really kicked off...... Gateway started back in 2013.

The only bad thing we can say about Gateway is that it was blocked by nintendo, but thats no reason to slate them, end of the day they tried to keep the card updated, but the day has to come where you call it a day, why continue focusing on a card that was blocked with emunand updates.

Gateway never supported its card as a means to play pirated games online, its focus was adding features and trying to get support for later firmwares.

but the card still works perfectly fine, if the users (who i know for a fact) cant follow its day one rule of not performing a system update will have no problems.

Its never had issues as far as i can say with region free, no idea where that came from, ive always been able to play roms from any region.

as for cheat codes, that was first on Gateway, its only recent that users are porting Gateway codes over to CFW....

that argument there says it all, if Gateway was after, then wouldnt it be NTR porting to Gateway?

Anyway

I will always favor flash cards over CFW, regardless how n00b friendly it is to install, CFW voids your warranty, you require a large sd card in order to store cia files and install, you then have to fuck about deleting the cia after installing.

StarGate is excellent, no fucking about, simply copy to its sd card, insert and away you go.

you cant get anymore n00b friendly than that, we need to also remember that regardless of how n00b friendly your guides are, there are those out there that are clueless, wouldnt even know where to find the guide, the types that sit watching BS youtube videos, alot are parents also that have no knowledge when it comes to gaming never mind hacking.

someone tells them of a new card thats on the market, plays 3DS roms, DS roms and will bring other rom types emulated....

ohh that sounds good, what do you do to get that.

nothing, just copy to an sd card, insert and BOOOM!

my only downfall with the card is that its not region free for 3DS games, DS seems to be region free.

I would love to see cheat code support included to run across the entire system, if its 3DS/DS/....

11. 25,401
      GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
      Design Eng.
      Home Page:
      http://www.O-P-A.biz
      Hopefully, they can find an answer around region-free problem with 3DS, but its really nintendo's fault they added alot of checks for region bypassing, and those checks are alot of the causes for console bans in the past.

Currently AR cheats for DS roms should be supported by the current DS Menu system, and it would be nice to see it expanded to support 3DS when loading from the DS menu side, that i am sure will be added at some point in the near future by SG.

DW360 likes this.
    12. 365
      DW360

DW360 Loyal Member

Will have to look into this for the DS, not bothered with the DS for many years.

13. 561
      AlbedoAtoned

AlbedoAtoned Loyal Member

Maybe at first. However most cheats now a days mostly from CFW users and citra is another popular way to get them.

You missed a lot in the 3ds scene. CFW has been around for quite some time. For instance, RxTools was initially released in february of 2015. But if you go back even further, Palantine CFW was leaked which while a hassle, did support Cias shortly before Gateway did. Then there's the BootNTR CFW. It was reaching version 3.0 in july of 2015. For the record Gateway added cheat support in version 3.5 which came out in November.

While I wasn't particularly invested in the scene until around 2015 or so, for a while I do remember checking to see what the latest things going on were and almost every time gateway was the topic it was due to being behind the rest of the scene. Even now it is the same way. They don't officially support emunand firmwares higher than 10.7. Users have been able to find ways to get gateway to work on newer firmwares, even with boot9s, however it pretty much requires an emunand still since 11.3 and above is not supported. More and more those that were holding out for an update have given up any hope of such and have moved onto a CFW. I'm much more active (at lurking) in the scene now a days and have been since right around when the downgrade exploit was discovered (which holy crap time flies since that came out in January of last year) or so and a common occurrence is that somebody will ask for help since their Gateway card is outdated and abandoned and so somebody ends up pointing them to the guide to which they either turn down the advice to look elsewhere and return when they inevitably can't. They then either put up with the growing limitations or they update to CFW and retire the gateway card satisfied in that it had a good run but was no longer needed and that there was a superior option available now. I was the same way with rxtools and my emunand. I didn't update to A9LH at all. But when B9S came out I updated to that after reading the guide. Even then I remember gateway users starting to dwindle and move to full time CFW. Gateway did come up again, a lot of ex and (at least at the time) current gateway users were pretty pissed when the team behind it announced they were putting out a new flash cart. This happened months after gateway promised to update their card for newer firmwares and this was back when Emunand was still a thing. Had Gateway not announce anything, people would have been fine just forgetting they existed. But their announcement confirmed that they had indeed abandoned their gateway card. Rather than satisfied that their card had a good run, most were mad because they felt that Gateway were trying to milk them for money again sort of like those DS flash carts with time bombs in them. And after all of the hoops they went through to keep their gateway cards working and all of the things gateway did to them, they felt it was a betrayal. Most in the scene don't have a very positive view towards Gateway. The scene tends to call it brickway because of all of the issues it had with bricking 3dses. So most are steering clear of this and warning others.

14. 365
      DW360

DW360 Loyal Member

Maybe i am being lame but as there is no basic FAQ can stargate 3ds actually support cheat codes for the DS.

I have tried as i was never involved in the DS scene but when i enable the option to allow cheat codes, and place the usrcheat.dat to the sg_system/cheats directory, the icon Press X to enable cheats shows, but nothing else.

15. 115
      winchain

winchain Loyal Member

not sure about Stargate, I think for the original DS, the cheat file goes to the root of microsd

16. 25,401
      GaryOPA

Media:
      Design Eng.
      Home Page:
      Not sure if its officially supported yet, but the DS side is based on the Acekard kernel which is similar to r4 wood setup, check out this for the latest info on usrcheat:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/deadskullzjrs-flashcart-cheat-databases.488711/

17. 25,401
      GaryOPA

Media:
      Design Eng.
      Home Page:
      Not sure if its officially supported yet, but the DS side is based on the Acekard kernel which is similar to r4 wood setup, check out this for the latest info on usrcheat:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/deadskullzjrs-flashcart-cheat-databases.488711/

18. 365
      DW360

DW360 Loyal Member

Thanks ive downloaded a tool that created dat files for them all.

Cheats need to be placed in sg_system in a folder called cheats, and the cheat icon comes up, but when pressed nothing happens.

but when searching loads of people had issues back on the ds r4 card so i cant tell if its the feature, card or tool creating the dat file.

never bothered with DS so its new, think last time i did was using the old Action Replay cheat cartridge and to make my own codes.

19. 15
      NeoG

NeoG Loyal Member

So stargate aka gateway are happy to use others functions from others work and slap on a stargate logo but if anyone else uses there shit they have to brick the customers 3ds. There whole business practice is crap, obviously they want to make money but it's just a complete rip off why are they still trying to sell cards at this ridiculous price. Whoever buys one has more money than sense. It can't even play eshop roms/ gba games/ dsiware games unless installing cfw.

20. 365
      DW360

DW360 Loyal Member

your more than welcome to buy your 3ds games and ds games and snes/gba/gc games.......

ohh wait yea thats right you want cfw or flashcards not to buy your games, so tell me this, you pay £60 for one flashcard...... now lets do the math, all those games your going to pirate, im pretty confident that this would cost you more.

so kindly tell me why your beef over a device that brings you this ability on all consoles/firmwares.