hit tracker

WARNING: Don't update to v5.1.1 on your Nintendo Wii U

Discussion in 'Underground Nintendo Scene' started by GaryOPA, Aug 5, 2014.

By GaryOPA on Aug 5, 2014 at 4:37 PM
  1. 25,644
    GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
    Design Eng.
    Home Page:
    http://www.O-P-A.biz
    If you care about the things that Wii U Browser Exploit can offer you, then you must stay on v5.1.0

Big 'N' has pulled out their coders and blocked all known Webkit Browser Exploits with their latest firmware v5.1.1 just released for the Nintendo Wii U

[​IMG]

It has only been a week since MarioNumber1 updated the v4.x codebase of the released Wii U Browser Exploit, to be able to handle the latest v5.0.0 and v5.1.0 updates from Nintendo.

But those cheers of having online cheats, homebrew and dumping needed keys from your Wii U console was short-lived, as now big 'N' has released v5.1.1 and unlike previous updates this one sadly blocks all known WebKit exploits as the codebase has been totally updated, so it the end of road for the Wii U Browser Exploit.

Oh'well, it was fun while it lasted, so if you want to enjoy the things that might be coming in near future you will be forced to NOT UPDATE and leave your Wii U console running on v5.1.0 which for now forces you to be off-line and may prevent newer games.

Comments

Discussion in 'Underground Nintendo Scene' started by GaryOPA, Aug 5, 2014.

1. 49
      wiggim

wiggim Loyal Member

Considering I heard about WiiU homebrew and ODEs for over a year with little materializing I'm just going to update and enjoy online/eShop. Router blocks are seemingly useless with 5.0/5.1 and setting up a proxy is too tedious for the chance of a reward. Its been months of just rumors, even worse than the 3DS commercial card development delays. The browser exploit is a POC at best, I haven't found the way to any good uses like dumping drive keys from it - but I presume Nintendo has more than one userland exploit that only opens the PSVita-style homebrew window if we learnt anything from the GC and Wii. If this was a kernel level exploit I may care, but even then it took the PS3 scene years to develop anything worth-while and the WiiU scene has far fewer contributors.

If something materializes for homebrew and coders actually make decent homebrew I have no problems buying a new to me unit with launch firmware and selling this updated one. If I can find a 2012 3DS in 2014, I don't think I'll have problems finding a wiiU with old firmware in a couple years.

2. 25,644
      GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
      Design Eng.
      Home Page:
      http://www.O-P-A.biz
      There is a unreleased loophole that allowed you to get 'kernel' level right upgrade when you running from the userland exploit that Wii U Browser Exploit allowed.

This higher 'kernel' level rights was what used by people posting the 'modding' videos of hacking the Mario Kart 8 game.

Hopefully another userland exploit can be found to get into the system, and there is still unreleased hardware ways requiring some soldering to dump keys and other info.

wiggim likes this.
    3. 5,605
      Battlefield

Battlefield Loyal Member

Home Page:
      http://
      Don't update?

How can you prevent that when Wii U updates FW on auto while idling?
      Its 100% automatic unlike on Sony and MS consoles which still lives in the past where you get confirmation boxes and reboot. Thats old school.

You can disable auto of course, but i don't.

4. 1,327
      rednekcowboy

rednekcowboy Developer

Kind of looks like you answered your own question but refuse to do so....lol

Artlover and retro4ever like this.
    5. 5,605
      Battlefield

Battlefield Loyal Member

Home Page:
      True, but i didn't know Wii U updated by itself on last updates. ;)

It was strange that there was FW updates in media, but i could never find a update. It was because of auto updating.

6. 26,553
      Xenogears V

Xenogears V Senior Helper Clean-Up Crew

Simply don't connect it in internet, Unplag internet cable ;-).

7. 176
      MrECK0

MrECK0 Loyal Member

Rocket Scientist
      I'm so lucky today! Someone unplugged my WiiU to make room for a PS3. So it didn't auto-update like it usually does!

8. 5,605
      Battlefield

Battlefield Loyal Member

Home Page:
      I won't mode my Wii U anyway, so it doesen't matter. :)

You don't need to unplug cable. Just disable auto download of patches during night.

Its kinda funny how fast Nintendo fixed this..hehe
      I think its a good thing, because it will ruin online games like on Xbox 360.

Xbox 360 have most cheaters in the world online. Leaderboards also have loads of cheaters.
      The reason why so many Leaderboaards had to be resetted.

9. 49
      wiggim

wiggim Loyal Member

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2014
    10. 5,605
      Battlefield

Battlefield Loyal Member

Home Page:
    11. 49
      wiggim

wiggim Loyal Member

Is there anything like teensy++ or raspberry pi way to dump the WiiU flash, upgrade and use as normal then 'when the time comes' restore the backed up flash hopefully, similar to nearly every other console (except the pesky e-fused ones) I know very little about how it works but know you can backup the vWii fairly easily with that stack exploit.

Ideally that nifty userland turned kernel rights trick should be useful to make dumps to a USB stick, then anyone who wanted the exploit can still upgrade and hopefully revert to it should something materialize, of course with the help of hardware programmer.

12. 6,627
      tech3475

tech3475 Loyal Member

Maybe a NAND flasher LIKE infectus.

IIRC someone said there either wasn't any protection or there was 'minimal' protection against these types of downgrades (whether this means none/hackable SOC/efuse I don't know).

However, I can confirm nothing and I suggest staying offline and on an exploitable firmware.

Hopefully eventually a method will be found for decent homebrew and legit firmware (maybe a dual boot like the 360/PS3).

13. 49
      wiggim

wiggim Loyal Member

It would be great if they used the same chip for the Wii as they did for the WiiU OS. I already have an infectus setup to dump the chip lifted off the board. To boot I have a bunch of dead mainboards too :)

14. 501
      Nicotine

Nicotine Loyal Member

and my nephew wanted to play wii u while i was at work, and i think it updated....hope not...gotta check.

15. 4
      JoostinOnline

JoostinOnline Loyal Member

Identity theft
      Home Page:
      http://www.hacksden.com
      You forgot to mention that you guys are the reason the exploit was patched. We could have gotten a lot more use out of it if you hadn't (essentially) shared it with Nintendo.

16. 5,605
      Battlefield

Battlefield Loyal Member

Home Page:
      Any news site is to blame for holes to be blocked, and keeping eyes up for companies.

If it was "underground", it would take much longer until it was blocked..if ever.

17. 4
      JoostinOnline

Identity theft
      Home Page:
      If this site hadn't posted it, the exploit never would have been patched.

18. 31
      True-Blue

True-Blue Loyal Member

There is already a new exploit... who cares. Plus we got all the keys now also

19. 4
      JoostinOnline

Identity theft
      Home Page:
      1) Source for this new exploit? I haven't checked in for a few days.
      2) A lot of people care. This thread and the dozen other like it are just one example of that.

I think the staff here should make it clear that their pointless leak is the only reason we can't use it anymore. They need to be held accountable.