hit tracker

What can I do with Luma CFW exactly and why should I care?

Discussion in 'Official 'Stargate 3DS' Support Forum' started by Palm Bear, May 21, 2018.

1. 7
    Palm Bear

Palm Bear Loyal Member

Since I'm new to all of this, I was hoping someone could answer these 3 quick questions:

• Will installing the Luma CFW erase my current firmware and thus erase the 3DS games I purchased from the E-Shop officially as well?

• Is there any risk of bricking my 3DS using the supplied method?

• Aside from installing emulators (which would be the main reason for me) and custom themes (nice to have, not a must), are there any other significant benefits reasons to using the Luma CFW?

(I'm not interested in things like installing an internet browser, watching movies (unless they would be in 3D), reading books or listening to music from my 3DS)
    Many thanks for your time

shhwonk likes this.
  2. 315
    sweatbox

sweatbox Loyal Member

• Will installing the Luma CFW erase my current firmware and thus erase the 3DS games I purchased from the E-Shop officially as well?
      - nope all will be the same

• Is there any risk of bricking my 3DS using the supplied method?
      - bricks while B9S installation is more or less 0

• Aside from installing emulators (which would be the main reason for me) and custom themes (nice to have, not a must), are there any other significant benefits reasons to using the Luma CFW?
      (I'm not interested in things like installing an internet browser, watching movies (unless they would be in 3D), reading books or listening to music from my 3DS)
    • - homebrew access is a benefit. Like save game manager for backups. Easy game modification like pokemon nova sun. Or freeshop for... Other regions demos ;g)

3. 3
    oji

oji Loyal Member

Luma is a way to unleash a 3DS full potential, you can install any game of any region, including ROM hacks & translations, use cheats (not so convenient as in Gateway but still is good), use homebrews like tons of emulators, save game manager etc. Don't install it or you can feel sorrow of spending money on SG.

4. 213
    LupinIII

LupinIII Developer

B9S (and GM9 and FB3DS, which will be offered as install options by advanced mode) only gets copied to the firm partitions. The CTRNAND partition is untouched. In fact, the original FW can even be extracted from CTRNAND back to the firm partitions if you wanted to return to retail for any reason. I included an uninstall option that does just that in case you change your mind. The system remains 99% unchanged. Your NNID, eShop purchases, etc. will still be there. 3DS CFW actually works more like what other scenes would call a HEN. Everything is patched in memory. In fact, you can run as many CFWs as you want. They will not interfere with each other at all.

As for the risk of bricking, it is no higher than the one you take updating your system. Maybe even less. It writes to the NAND, but the files written are actually much smaller than most system updates. The whole process takes less than 2 seconds. Also, backups are generated before any writing is done. These can be used to restore the system to it's previous state in the event of an emergency. Keep in mind, though, the SG is an NTRBootHax cart. Brick immunity is built in. If, say, you happen to jolt the system and knock the battery loose just as the write is being performed or something, you've got the means to recover. Just redo the exploit and restart the install process.

As for features, well, there is obviously region free (CFW/homebrew is pretty much the only way to do this period, but especially for a stealth cart -- you have to patch the check, since modifying the ROM is out). Luma can load cheats as well. There is also Freeshop and CIAngel that can install games from the eShop (these will go on your 3DS's SD card instead of your flash cart's SD card, which effectively doubles your storage, and makes playing online games easier since CIA/eShop installs have no header to mess with). CFW also supports BC modes. You can play DSiWare (i.e. Zelda: Four Swords Anniversary Edition) and GBA injects (FF VI Advance, FF I & II DoS, etc.). There are several apps that can backup/restore your saves (JKSM is included, since it's the most popular save distribution format, though Checkpoint is not bad either). This can be good if you want to, say, give your friend your Smash Bros. save so you both have access to the full character roster (or in case your device ever needs replaced, you upgrade from an O3DS to an N3DS, etc., you have your saves ready to restore).

Since you are interested in emulators, some good non-Retroarch emulators by bubble2k16 that have been optimized for better O3DS performance (though they should run great on an N3DS too) are included. Though since Retroarch is constantly being updated, we thought it best to just let you grab it from the official site, since any included copy would likely be outdated within a week.

Oh and, I totally get not wanting to use the 3DS for things like music/movies. Why even go there? Your smart phone does it better. That's why we made the Sound Player the default homebrew launcher app for Rosalina (you can easily switch it to the recommended "Download Play" if it causes problems, but it's been working well for me, and it seemed much less likely anyone would actually be using it for anything).

shhwonk likes this.
  5. 7
    Palm Bear

Palm Bear Loyal Member

Many thanks for the detailed reply. I'm convinced that I want to try it out just for the emulators. All other things are bonus, but I don't have time to play that many other games anyway :)

I was wondering though: will this be the only way to play emulators or will it also be added as a default option in firmware 2.0 ?

If so then I still might just wait for that since I have lots of 'regular' 3DS games I still need to play and finish anyway.

6. 15
    SnoWStyle

SnoWStyle Loyal Member

Well if you are using Stargate device, you probabbly had issues with saving your progress using different games.
    With Jk Save Manager (JKSM) provided in the CFW on stargate site, you can fix that and be able to switch between games without anymore save issues.