hit tracker

What does it mean when using "rom in .3dz format with a header"?

Discussion in 'Game Backup (ROM's) Discussion' started by OPessimist, Mar 7, 2016.

1. 29
    OPessimist

OPessimist Loyal Member

Does it mean you have to name it instead of leaving the rom in whatever rom name when you first back it up or download it?

2. 777
    Zelda

Zelda Loyal Member

You use gw rom patcher to inject a header from a cart you own into a rom, you then rename the rom to .3dz so gw knows it has a private header. You can then go online with the rom without being banned.

OPessimist likes this.
  3. 29
    OPessimist

OPessimist Loyal Member

Ooooooh, so that means I can't access DLC without a private header?

4. 777
    Zelda

Zelda Loyal Member

You can get stuff from the eshop without a private header but if you need to connect online in the rom to download it you'll need to either use a cia or inject a private header into your rom.

You could also use a public header you find online and roll the dice on the ban hammer, I think the first ban is only a few weeks. This way isn't recommended but if you don't play online anyway it may be a viable option. Have a search on gbatemp for the latest info on bans before you commit to this route though.

I'd recommend using a cia if you don't have your own cart to rip a header from. You can always use savedatafiler to transfer your save to the cia too so it's probably your best option.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2016
    OPessimist likes this.
  5. 29
    OPessimist

OPessimist Loyal Member

Okies, so I have to look for a .cia for my games... CIA files are put in SD card right? Not the Red Cart?

6. 777
    Zelda

Zelda Loyal Member

Yeah, they go on the 3ds sd card and are installed with devmenu. Once installed you can delete the .cia from your 3ds sd card. Make a note of which unique id matches which cia when you install them so you can find them at a later date if you ever need to.

OPessimist likes this.
  7. 29
    OPessimist

OPessimist Loyal Member

Thanks for the detailed replies! =) Now to look for CIA files!