hit tracker

What game will be the 'killer app' for the 3DS?

Discussion in 'We Cracked the 3DS HandHeld in Two' started by Zeus, Apr 12, 2011.

1. 11,051
    Zeus

Zeus MaxConsole News Team

Home Page:
    http://www.maxconsole.com
    Nintendo are expecting a good amount of 3DS titles to be released in the coming months. However, many gamers feel that the 3DS just hasn't found its 'killer app' yet. So, Maxconsole is asking you, what do you think will be the 'killer app' of the 3DS? Let us know your thoughts here.

2. 11,051
    Zeus

Zeus MaxConsole News Team

Home Page:
    http://www.maxconsole.com
    From qazza:

3. 24
    shadowgauge

shadowgauge Loyal Member

Conduit 3DS if done correctly will be a killer app also i would love to see a panza dragoon saga remake on the 3DS, just imagine that!:D

4. 673
    put4558350

put4558350 Loyal Member

Mario and Pokemon is alway sale good.

... There is rumor about monster hunter 4 too.

5. 75
    jpnn80

jpnn80 Loyal Member

For now I can only think of MGS 3DS given the quality of its cutscene in the trailer

6. 1,044
    mattias800

mattias800 Loyal Member

Super Mario, Pokemon and Mario Kart are my guesses.

Why cant you just link together the articles and the forum? The comments should br in the forums and below the article.

7. 0
    Squirrel61

Squirrel61 Guest

Whether they are good titles for the 3DS or not, but Nintendo should've released Pokemon, Super Mario Bros (or one of it's variations like Galaxy) and Mario kart together with the 3DS. And they should have created value packs existing of the 3DS (maybe special paint) together with one of these games.

On the long run, the 3DS needs games that make better use of the 3D. About one year ago, I would have said James Cameron's Avatar. It still would be a good idea, but it's not hyped anymore so it won't make the 3DS killer app. The 3DS needs good 3D sports games too. And Angry Birds 3D would definitely sell both the game and the 3DS.

But the real killer app the 3DS is waiting for? I don't think we should look at existing games. The 3DS gives a whole new dimension (literally) to gaming, and deserves games specifically designed for 3D. Only when the games developers can make the switch from 2D and 2D-projected 3D to real 3D, the 3DS will reach it's real value. Think of what Wii Sports did for the Wii, using the new controls. The 3DS needs something like that.

I think Nintendo is very conscious of the fact that the 3DS needs a killer app and they also know that it should be something that can't be compared with current games. They probably decided that they should just release the 3DS and wait for someone to come up with it, because they couldn't.

8. 947
    DSpider

DSpider Loyal Member

Which is it, a game or an app ? Make up your mind.

9. 65
    demolitionman

demolitionman Loyal Member

A decent MGS game. Maybe i shouldn't say this, but i don't care about the storyline really, just like the gameplay. Shame on me, i know.

EDIt lol. I thought this was for PS3.

3DS, I'm sure Nintendo have a cool Mario game up their sleeve in time for christmas. I guess the killer app for the 3DS will be something really tailored to the 3D.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2011
  10. 2,591
    EL_CAD

EL_CAD Loyal Member

For me, Advance Wars 3DS or Fire Emblem 3DS or Mother 4.

For the rest of the world, Mario Kart 3DS. And this time include all the retro tracks.

11. 372
    p1nky

p1nky Loyal Member

I hope Crush 3D will sell well. For me Crush was the best and most orginal game on the PSP. As there was no successor on the PSP it seems it didn't sell as well which was totally undeserved.

So I hope the 3DS version will not only be a port and sell very well. It still might not be the game that sells a lot of systems but it's definitely "killer" and would make me buy a 3DS.

And by the way I find this forcing people into the forums tactic extremely gay and see no point in it whatsoever. Why not link the frontpage news responses to a thread as it was before? :mad:

12. 467
    chrisprocter01

chrisprocter01 Loyal Member

Engineer
    Well of the Know titles, gauging desirability,first impressions, overall looks (can't go on game play etc) then i'd say it currently stands as;

Legend Of Zelda Ocarina of Time 3DS; the game has improved graphics, a tweeked engine, improved use of heavy boots/water temple improvements, includes the Master quest and extras. so knowing all that, and that the original is still regarded as one of the greatest games ever then its sure to be an amazing 3DS title

Resident Evil Revelations; the game so far looks like resident evil 5, supposedly it will use a control system more like Resident Evil 1 mixed with elements of 4/5's scheme so potentially the best of both worlds, they are looking at RE:1 (remake) for inspiration (remake) which is widely regarded as the better game (atmospherically and story wise)
    so taking that in to account it also could prove to be a killer game

runners up in my mind will be MGS:3DS which so far with have little info of, so a judgement is difficult to make, and Monster hunter 4 assuming capcom corporate lift the info embargo and reveal it

Of potential games
    well it all comes down to who produces games for the 3DS, First party games like Metroid and Mario are always great games and prety much guaranteed, a new Zelda could also be amazing in just about any 3D format (using OoT engine and style, or using Wind Waker style, or using Skyward Sword style)
    or if 3rd party developers produce good games, say a bioware RPG could be good (KOTOR remake? a Mass Effect?), a bethsida RPG like Morrowind, a fallout game?, A FPS? COD? after all the Wii versions have been very good (for wii games) a portable one could be amazing for local multiplayer, maybe an as yet unknown series? If square remake FF6 in the style used for the 3 and 4 remakes on the DS that could prove to be an amazing game....as could FF7 (though i see that being an NGP game based on the PS3 tech demo)

13. 26,553
    Xenogears V

Xenogears V Senior Helper Clean-Up Crew

To soon to say who...Resident Evil seems me a great game.

14. 17
    vlike2party

vlike2party Loyal Member

What if a app to change all the old DS game to 3D? or can choose the DS game from 4:3 to 16:9

15. 2
    Mr.John

Mr.John Loyal Member

Dq

I'd say Dragon Quest games.

16. 7,336
    ThreeDog

ThreeDog Loyal Member

Probably Barbie Horse Adventures /jk
    Starfox or Zelda for sure.

17. 14
    Alex13mod

Alex13mod Loyal Member

Home Page:
    http://digitalhaze.imster.co.uk/
    I would say remakes of Final Fantasy games in full 3D and also Kingdom Hearts. Everyone already knows Mario is going to sell and Zelda games and especially future Pokemon games.

18. 3,170
    kcvfr400

kcvfr400 Loyal Member

the rehashes they have planned probably will be the killer apps. Would love to be proved wrong with something really different and new

19. 5
    Crayonical

Crayonical Loyal Member

Monster Hunter 4. Would definitely get a 3DS if that game ever came out on 3DS. Right now, its just a rumor.

20. 1
    richardosim

richardosim Loyal Member

I think super mario,mario cart,Legend Of Zelda is the always sell good...........