hit tracker

WTF: Video games cause blindness?

Discussion in 'Archived General Gaming News' started by Zeus, Dec 17, 2009.

1. 11,051
    Zeus

Zeus MaxConsole News Team

Home Page:
    http://www.maxconsole.com
    Looks as if Good Morning America were reporting on a strange study which indicated that video games can cause blindness. Is there anything that video games can't do these days according to the mainstream media and reports?

<blockquote>I came across this interesting video about how playing video games and more specifically texting is causing a greater instance of myopia to occur in the US. It seems like near sightedness is up a staggering 66 percent since the 1970s, which is indeed a large increase. However, I have concerns about this so-called study.

The main concern I have is that this study has absolutely no scientific data to back up the theory that playing video games or texting will cause you to go blind. This is simply guesswork and talk by people that "think" they are experts and know what they are saying.</blockquote>

News Source: <a href="http://www.hookedgamers.com/blogs/howie/2009/12/16/video_games_cause_blindness_in_us.html" target="_blank">Hookedgamers</a>

2. 189
    Dreamcazman

Dreamcazman Loyal Member

Computer Technician
    Home Page:
    http://
    They say masturbation causes blindness too... :rolleyes:

3. 26
    not_starman

not_starman Loyal Member

I will say this that the increase in literacy is a good thing even if its damaging our eyes.

4. 784
    Captain N1

Captain N1 Loyal Member

I ahve asked some eye doctors this and they all say no way.

5. 6,627
    tech3475

tech3475 Loyal Member

"no scientific evidence"- and yet there will still be an uproar if the media report this.

If video games cause blindness so does everything done in life.

6. 394
    kama

kama Loyal Member

That's like saying some guy created the universe in 6 days, but having no scientific data to back it up ...

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2009
  7. 105
    0kensai0

0kensai0 Loyal Member

regular masturbation has actually been shown to reduce likelyhood of prostate cancer:rolleyes:

back on topic: video games DOES cause near-sightedness nad IS bad for the eyes. Its the same thing as TV, because you're focusing on one distance for too long, your eyes get tired from the bright screen (and also the closeness).

Which is why they say you should take a break every 2 hrs or so and look at something far away like a tree outside the window or something and also dun sit so close to the screen.

So Yes, video games can cause near-sightedness, but its nothing new. TV did before it, books(reading with bad lighting) did the same before that...

8. 720
    Ahmed_p800

Ahmed_p800 Loyal Member

Communication Engineer @Nokia MEA
    WOW

Learned many stuff from you guys!!

I love maxconsole!! ;)

9. 25
    herib7

herib7 Loyal Member

Well, while I was playing Halo ODST, I my eyes constantly were "crying" because of that damn helmet that supposedly help to see in the dark on New Mombasa. My tv is a plasma 42 inches...

10. 382
    powasam5000

powasam5000 Loyal Member

Blindness yes.. I totally agree. but only in the sense that many become "blind" to other consoles but their own. Better known as.. the fanboy : P

11. 369
    rddr

rddr Loyal Member

Don't look at the SUN, end of story.

12. 5,233
    Azariel

Azariel Loyal Member

It was a woman!!!.... and multi-tasked !!! Still working so hard, that doesnt have the time to prove herself out!! ;)..:D:D Female bears the eggs, on most of planet's visible species.. therefore the "creator" was female...:eek:... and "designed" "beautiful " things.. simple organisms like influenza... also Bad cell stock to produce cancer, malformation, so you can go to ehaven early!!..what a lovely!!!

Oh, yes...masturbation doesn't cause blindness., but memory loss!!! ...but I don't remember where I read that.. where was I? :confused: