hit tracker

XBMC / Kodi App finally on Google Play Store

Discussion in 'Mobile Jailbreak Scene' started by GaryOPA, Jun 21, 2015.

By GaryOPA on Jun 21, 2015 at 12:08 PM
  1. 25,460
    GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
    Design Eng.
    Home Page:
    http://www.O-P-A.biz
    But Amazon bans it from their appstore and devices!

Amazon has removed the popular media center Kodi from the app store claiming it facilitates piracy. XBMC doesn't host any infringing content, but third-party add-ons are giving the software a bad rep.

[​IMG]

Alot of our long-time MaxConsole members here would remember XBMC, the wonderful homebrew media player app that made the original modded Xbox consoles so very popular and bought everyone into the world of streaming various file formats to our TV set.

Well, XBMC recently changed their name to Kodi, and are trying to make themselves a more 'legit' app and have it available on many new devices like Android set-top boxes and mobile smartphones and tablets.

And it been going along good for them, they even got their Kodi app recently approved for a listing in the Google Play store, but now Amazon has decided to slap them on the wrist and ban their XBMC / Kodi app from their appstore and devices over piracy concerns.

So what you think so far of the new legit Kodi app on your Android device (or have you not even tried it, and if so why?), does it fit your streaming needs just like the good old retro days of using our original hacked Xbox consoles?

Personally, I miss that now retro era of the our underground scene, back then it was so much more enjoyable and overall fun and wonderful experience compared to today's current scene.

NEWS SOURCE #1: Amazon Bans Kodi/XBMC App Over Piracy Concerns (via) TorrentFreak
    NEWS SOURCE #2: XBMC / Kodi (via) GooglePlayStore

Comments

Discussion in 'Mobile Jailbreak Scene' started by GaryOPA, Jun 21, 2015.

1. 6,627
      tech3475

tech3475 Loyal Member

I find it funny how they ban Kodi for piracy and yet promote Plex which can be used for the same thing.

There are quite a few apps Amazon need to ban if they are going down this route.

I think as soon as Google TV starts to really take off and a Fire Stick rival comes out Amazon will start to feel the heat.

2. 5,961
      DEDDOA

DEDDOA Loyal Member

Kodi is free, and Plex's app is not so they likely get a kick back from that. Give them money and most of these types are likely to overlook things. As for piracy, just looking at it from a copyright stand point, making money off of a copyright that belongs to someone else is vastly more illegal than making no money at all, and while neither are actively promoting piracy in any way, Plex is the more dubious of the 2 if you are to take the Amazon approach.

Personally I recommend using Kodi even if you use Plex, use the Plexbmc addon and Something like the Amber skin, and you have almost the perfect mix (what would be perfect would be to be able to group movies into sets by default like you can if you use MySQL sharing in Kodi, mind you then you loose web sharing).

3. 5,605
      Battlefield

Battlefield Loyal Member

Home Page:
      http://
      I had Kodi for a long time on Android, so its not new.

Raspberry PI2 have the best version, then Android and Windows on is just a system that sounds stutters and crap on PC with Intel+NVIDIA and PC's with AMD+ATI.

4. 25,460
      GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
      Design Eng.
      Home Page:
      http://www.O-P-A.biz
      Before you had to install it yourself, via a download.

Now since the 16th of June it is official Google Play App, that you can grab directly from the store, and appears in your installed list.

5. 5,605
      Battlefield

Battlefield Loyal Member

Home Page:
      I probably forgot that i downloaded the app, and not on GP. ;)
      Android also got the MCTV already which is based on Kodi.

Kodi is good, just not in Windows as its unable to play even small 50.MB MP4 files properly on any PC no matter how fast a PC is.

6. 243
      TinyBilbo

TinyBilbo Loyal Member

I run a headless debian server which basically is just a big file server. Everything is mapped via NFS and/or SAMBA shares.
      I access everything via KODI (pad, phone, PC). I'm a little unsure why I might need something like plex.

My central server handles the MySQL libraries so that everything syncs across devices.

The one difference I can see is that with plex you can transcode on the fly, to serve media over the net to a mobile device.
      (Mobile Sync). It's not something I (would) use...

Other than that what benefits/advantages are there for installing PLEX?

Thanks

7. 5,605
      Battlefield

Battlefield Loyal Member

Home Page:
      I have tried newest Plex, but its very bad.

It doesen't support folder structure, and everything is a mess. Plex is also damn slow at scanning.
      I cant't believe people pay for this piece of crap when KODI is better?

8. 5,961
      DEDDOA

DEDDOA Loyal Member

None really that I can see from how you use it, well maybe if you wanted to split your collection into more categories with less hassle. I split mine into the likes of Current TV, Ended Series TV, SD, HD, 3D, Documentaries, Stand-up, Kids TV, Home movies, Photo Albums, Music etc.. Mind you if you are using PLexbmc addon, you need a skin that lets you use Plex like normal XBMC, something like Amber (the option to go plex will be under settings). All stuff you can do on Kodi but in a more direct manner as to be put it mildly, it saves me having to deal with relatives who would ask where the Any key was :).

I personally use MySQL for all my home sharing, I use PLEX mainly for out and about, not to mention it's a family server, I get all the video's pictures etc., from my family and put them on the server so they can all access them from here in the UK to my brothers and sisters in Canada and Australia. Though most importantly for me, it means I don't have to play the game of guess who has my bloody DVD's :)

Aye that seems to be an issue with addons in recent updates when updating, everything went slow as hell, scrapers wouldn't work and server setting would disappear, not to mention 4hrs of trying o figure out why no one could access anything only to find that a recent update had deleted all my shares. I would recommend either a clean install or if you have a library like mine, just delete the addons folder contents.

For home sharing I would just use Kodi and MySQL.