hit tracker

Xbox fanboy experiences 360 Slim overheating, warns others

Discussion in 'Archived General Gaming News' started by Zeus, Jun 20, 2010.

1. 11,051
    Zeus

Zeus MaxConsole News Team

Home Page:
    http://www.maxconsole.com
  2. 511
    Calcu

Calcu Loyal Member

Gone Too Soon,Valhalla chip fried too soon.where are all the xb3sh!ty defenders to the rescue.Dont Blame it on xb3sh!ty Blame it on the boogie. :D:p

3. 135
    Kotaku

Kotaku Loyal Member

While i'm not trying to bash the new 360, i will say that there is PLENTY of space around that thing, before you guys chime in and say "lol blocking the vents"

It is sort of worrying that the thing has only just hit the market and these sort of things are turning up online, it's very reminicent of when the 360 first launched and within a week there was a video of someone playing project gotham on his new 360 and it having this exact same sort of issue.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2010
  4. 100
    peapod

peapod Loyal Member

Well, consoles fail - FACT

Im just glad I have just got a Jasper. Surely MS done a **** load of testing before releasing this... Shame on you MS

now back to my PS3....waiting for my new jasper/flashable 360 to arrive :)

It might be a slim 360, but a fat chance of it working....

5. 135
    Kotaku

Kotaku Loyal Member

Just an idea, but given that this is more or less the first time a cpu+gpu single die processor has been included on a console, wouldn't it be feasable that this relatively newborn console-tech hasnt been time-tested and had the chance to evolve?

Personally, i'll stick with my Jasper.

6. 100
    peapod

peapod Loyal Member

mmm, not a good advertisement for the new console is it? for all you people who is going to upgrade.... wait.....just a little longer before plunging into it.

7. 1,102
    JordanBlack68

JordanBlack68 Loyal Member

Pretty poor so far for xbox 360 s.

8. 90
    GeToChKn

GeToChKn Loyal Member

I wonder how long before a reball stencil turns up for this unit. lol. The thing that would make reflowing/reballing this things a ***** is the silver heatspreader over the chip. It hinders the PS3 reflow process as it blocks most of the heat from the rework station from actually reaching the chip. You have to get them off, and they use an epoxy-thermal paste mix that glues them on there pretty damn good.

Manufacturers are too worried about having a 'silent' system instead of a cool one. To me, the PS3 fan's don't ever kick in to full speed until the system is at a critical heat level and by then its too late. Same with the 360 and its overheating message. If you want to game for 12 hours, they should have an external switch or dashboard/xmb setting to allow you to switch to intense gaming mode and crank up the fans on the units. Lets face it, if you're going to sit there for 12 hours in a row gaming, then deal with the noise of a higher fan.

With all the PS3 repairs I do, as well as the 360, I do a fan mod on them to run the fans at higher speeds. I tell everyone too, its going to be louder, but its either louder or a dead system in a month. Especially with the PS3's. I have a good reflow system for the PS3's down, but without doing a fan mod on them, they YLOD again too soon. With the fan mod, they are lasting a lot longer and returns are far and few in between.

9. 135
    Kotaku

Kotaku Loyal Member

reballing is the only way to be completely sure, i wouldnt trust a reflow as far as i could throw it, it broke because the solder under there is crap to begin with, melting it a second time only makes it weaker, grab a stensil and a rework station, and a nice large jar of lead based solder from china or something and it'll never break again.

RoHS solder is a peice of ****.

10. 0
    uberfry

uberfry Guest

OP is a retard, like many others: the vent is on the side, not on the back like on the regular ones
    (see the wii right next to it?)
    no wonder it'll overheat with not even 3 cm of space between the slim and the wii

/thread

11. 135
    Kotaku

Kotaku Loyal Member

You may want to re-assess your measuring scale.
    360 slim is 7.5cm wide, theres roughly a consoles width between it and the wii, so there goes your 3cm, besides that, it sucks air in through the side, 6cm spacing is more than enough to suck in cold air, it's not like you can get a heat buildup on a side that is not being fed any heat, heat by nature rises, so a large portion of the heat from the 360 will be going out of the top and rear (would normally go out of the other thin end if it were lay down).

To claim that a console needs more than 7cm of space above it's fan is absolutely retarded, take a look inside your pc, you'll find the side of the case is barely 5cm away from the cpu fan.

12. 5,715
    danight

danight Loyal Member

why weren't you given credit for submitting this news :confused: oh wait... so you could troll the first post.

You even replied to your own news submission... :confused:

13. 5,715
    danight

danight Loyal Member

If anyone is wondering both these threads were submitted by calcu... Thanks we know you work hard to get fair unbiased news stories to share.

THE BIGGEST PS3 FANBOY ON THE FORUMS IS POSTING ANTI X-BOX NEWS TO TRY AND CAUSE A SCARE.

The first 2 cases of a new xbox having issues is submitted by sonys biggest fanboy who flames everything microsoft.

Save yourself a hour of worthless reading and skip this thread as its only purpose was to try and start a scare created by people with a agenda.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2010
  14. 115
    ChaosKiller

ChaosKiller Loyal Member

Well I wonder, it might be the TV that is broken...

15. 5,715
    danight

danight Loyal Member

lol im sure no one would ever expect that you would :rolleyes:

I like how the title says fanboy but the person who submitted the video has killzone in his name. :rolleyes:

16. 135
    Kotaku

Kotaku Loyal Member

Because if he had halo in his username it would make it SO much more credible right?
    Face it, regardless of what username he used, you would assume he was trolling 360 anyway.

17. 1,405
    unwanted

unwanted Loyal Member

just one question... why did the poster of the video not pull up the Xbox menu ingame to prove it was a 360 playing... all the video currently shows is a 360 running while a TV is displaying MW2 with some dodgy graphics...

not saying the poster of the Video isnt telling the truth, but if you wanted to prove it was a PS3 or a 360, wouldnt you call up the system menu ingame?

18. 243
    TinyBilbo

TinyBilbo Loyal Member

Tbh - I reckon he is a fanboy, After all he's got 2 older 360's and a stack Original 360 games (in the cabinet below the consoles), coupled with the fact that he's rushed out and bought a new one (despite having 2 others?).

It does'nt bode very well for the new model that there seem to be overheating issues already...

The only other factor that might come into play is the ambient heat that's pumped out from all those games machines and a large TV, as well as a PC, and a couple of sweaty bods playing away... In what appears to be a fairly small room!

Hopefully the new units are ok - I guess only time will tell.

19. 7,336
    ThreeDog

ThreeDog Loyal Member

The GPU core is scragged bigtime.

20. 5,715
    danight

danight Loyal Member

better yet...why not cut it off? Why risk messing something up?
    But the video is vague at best and he could have at least ejected the console to show its that 1 playing.