hit tracker

Xbox One: Delivering More Choices for Fans

Discussion in 'Xbox Gaming News' started by GaryOPA, May 13, 2014.

By GaryOPA on May 13, 2014 at 5:02 PM
  1. 25,355
    GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
    Design Eng.
    Home Page:
    http://www.O-P-A.biz
    No more Kinect, Only $399 Now, and No more paywall for 'streaming' apps like NetFlix

Just weeks before E3, Microsoft has done another huge 180 on their Xbox One Marketing plans, by dumping Kinect finally, and removing Xbox Live Gold from its apps, and dropping the price to $399 & more

[​IMG]

Lots of people are wondering why Microsoft didn't wait until E3 for their big Press Conference to announce the huge changes to Xbox One , so they could hype up the 'listen to consumers' on stage and rape in all the free mainstream press coverage, but instead they decided to silently leak out the huge changes via MajorNelson and other blogs, and they are big ones.

• No More Kinect.
    • Xbox One to be only $399 Now.
    • And no more paywall for Netflix, Twitch and other key apps, all FREE now.

Besides the above there is bunch of other changes listed below, and it seems M$ wants to remove that growing gap between their rival PS4, and even tho E3 is 5 weeks away, they can't afford to wait and allow that gap to get any bigger, and now going all-in to win this next-gen console war, with E3 being solely focused on their huge exclusive line-up of new games due to be release thru-out 2014/15.

Here is what Major Nelson said about the sudden changes to Xbox One:

Major Nelson ends his blog post, with the fact that Kinect will be available soon by itself for those that wish to jump into the Kinect experience this Fall after seeing the awesome power of Xbox One console by itself, without the game enhancing power of Kinect.

So what do you think about the sudden changes, and doing it a month before E3, will it make Xbox the winner over PlayStation?

NEWS SOURCE #1: Delivering More Choices for Fans (via) MajorNelson
    NEWS SOURCE #2: Microsoft to remove Xbox Live Gold paywall for streaming apps (via) EuroGamer

Comments

Discussion in 'Xbox Gaming News' started by GaryOPA, May 13, 2014.

1. 1,808
      Ichijoe

Ichijoe Loyal Member

Perhaps People are just bitter about having blown $400(USD), for a X360, a few times only to watch it die? That kinda sh-- makes One bitter. I always have, and I always will sing the praises of the XBOX. Which unlike the X360 was, and is built like a quality Kalashnikov... _It just works!_ no matter the abuse you throw at it! After Four plus years I'm starting to get the same impression on my CECH-21xx PS3 Slim too. Add to this mix a string of sh-- that eventually got pulled 'cause they had no choice... i.e. Used Games, lending et-al.

And, you wonder why People are hating on the XBOne? Hell we haven't even touched upon the creepy NSA sponsored Kinect yet. Which is just yet One more reason to avoid that System till MicroSoft wise up and make an option only, and the price falls again by a factor of a $100.00(USD). Then they might have a chance. If you didn't really care for 1080p @ 60fps that is....

2. 1,086
      Anil8tr

Anil8tr Loyal Member

Hopefully this will help those still on the fence take the plunge. I'm not happy w/ turning GwG into PS+. But, then again you never truly own digital content as it is. So, it's pretty much splitting hairs. Just means the freebies turn into rentals now.

This alone could get me to play the hell out of my WiiU. Mario Kart will be a temporary diversion at best. But, I'll be playing the hell out of a new Metroid Prime game. I'd also love to see Dragon Quest on WiiU.

Battlefield likes this.
    3. 13,435
      billysastard

billysastard MaxConsole Co-Admin Loyal Member

Home Page:
      http://www.maxconsole.com

i honestly think (after some thought) that its a mistake to remove kinect not for short term sales as they will no doubt improve but in the longer term it will all but kill kinect as a platform and with the other changes made to apps and gwg it really has removed anything unique that the xbone offered except hdmi pass through, hopefully they will update the firmware to allow voice commands to work from a headset like the ps4 but the problem is that right now the ps4 has that feature, it also has motion features and a touchpad in addition to it's well documented slightly more power so this early in the race it's down to the exclusives and with its slight power advantage the xbox simply doesn't offer a reason to buy one, even if you hated kinect by including it ms did offer something that was quite unique, its strange that people didn't want kinect yet on ps4 sony can't make enough of their cameras to satisfy demand even though its inferior.

JonathanD likes this.
    4. 6,626
      tech3475

tech3475 Loyal Member

I think the real problem is that MS haven't made people want the kinect and have forced people who otherwise don't to have it.

Even MS themselves only really talk about voice recognition which is something that could be done just as well with a half decent microphone.

I can understand why they did it (similar to the Wii U's gamepad) but the problem is by not really justifying it to many just causes complaints especially on an otherwise flawed console.

I'm surprised MS didn't wait until later this year before making the switch since in the mean time they could have asked various studios what ideas they had to present at E3 and therefore a chance to get people to want this.

Also, it doesn't help when MS themselves say that removing kinect could improve games performance.

5. 385
      sped

sped Loyal Member

We both after agree neither consoles are showing anything mind blowing at the moment. Xbox as had a poor start, and ive got to admit i was kind a thinking why the hell i bought one up until last month. Now i think its great, and by the looks alot of good titles are on their way too. Yea the PS4 might have that little bit of an edge with its power, but theres nothing that i want thats coming out (well apart from the last guardian).
      Just think its funny that any post about Xbox One, whether it be good or bad, everyone comes on to bitch moan about it, and they havent even got one lol

6. 5,605
      Battlefield

Battlefield Loyal Member

Home Page:
      http://
      You don't need to own a Xbone to know that these flaws is a big deal for some people.

4 biggest drawbacks.

- Bloated with TV crap
      - Only 420.GB with auto delete
      - Mandatory installs.
      - You can't upgrade the HD

As for 420.GB, its nothing for me with those huge installs and because i'm a bigtime spender on games.

Lets say i have 30 retail games i would like to have available at all times. Guess what. You are lucky if you can have only 10 installed at once excluding patches. It would annoy me bigtime with the frequent mandatory installing.

I buy too many games, and the system ruins the fun for me. If i only bought 2 games a year, Xbone would suit me fine.

Like Billy said, i also think its a mistake to remove Kinect as it basically don't drop the price much anyway.
      If i was gonna buy Xbone, i would get it with Kinect due to the low amount of money needed extra.

If Nintendo were to remove touch pad, Wii U have no selling points anymore. N can't remove touch pad.. which is a wonderful pad btw.
      Of course i also have a Pro Pad as secondary (The Xbox 360 pad ) for Wii U.

7. 141
      xTONE

xTONE Loyal Member

Mandatory installs are on ps4 as well, you cant switch the hard drive but you will be able to use a external... the ps4 will not allow that ever (until they change their minds) and you can control whats deleted now as well but yes it will auto delete if you dont take care of it first

8. 385
      sped

sped Loyal Member

Just like Microsoft, Nintendo could opt for a cheaper bundle. I think the Wii U without the touchpad could do very well, as most of the expenise is in the touchpad its self. Take out that and you've got a great console. Bundle it up for £150 with a joypad and id buy it straight away. Apart from maps it hasnt much use, third party developers cant be arsed with it, and nearly all first party titles could be played without it.

As for kinect, we all know why Microsoft have done this, but at least its safe to say theres enough Xbox ones with Kinect out there for games developers to carry on using it. Its a smart move for Mircosoft to release this info out now as we've seen E3 leaks are everywhere now.... So instead of messing about talking about new price and Kinectless Xbox one, they can talk about games instead!

9. 5,961
      DEDDOA

DEDDOA Loyal Member

having only 420GB isn't really that big a deal, I thought it was to originally until I realised while I may have an extra 1TB drive on my gaming PC, I only use it for storage of non gaming stuff that would not be an issue on a console, and that is still under 180GB. However my main game drive is a 240GB MSATA SSD and I'll be honest, with 10 games on there at the mo and a lot of other non gaming bits and pieces, I am still sitting with 80.8 GB free. I know game sizes may go up a bit over the next few years but if previous gens are anything to go by, it won't be by that much. 1TB or a removable drive would have been nicer ( I would say SSD but every console I have seen with one gets nothing out of it for the price, even the PS4, unless you need that extra 3 or 4 seconds) but is not a requirement. For a games console, unless you are pirating with a system that can keep the games on the HDD, 500GB is fine for the foreseeable future even if in PC terms it may seem not that great tho even most gaming PC's are fine with 500GB as opposed to 1TB plus.

10. 2,651
      kneehighspy

kneehighspy Loyal Member

Early Retirement, Relaxation
      took me 16 years to get a vectrex after they went under. but i did find a brand new one in the box unopened so i took it and ran. i didnt buy it to make money from, i bought it to play and collect. was nice being the first one to open it, still had that new electronics smell, that new unwrapped plastic packaging. its over 30 years old, i have had it almost 15 years and she is still in mint condition, my all time favorite classic console :)

JonathanD likes this.
    11. 2,651
      kneehighspy

kneehighspy Loyal Member

Early Retirement, Relaxation
      agree. the biggest external i could get to work on my ps4 256gb, but the os wont use it for external games and it wont even allow you to back up your hardmdrive to it. doesnt allow you to backup any downloaded games either, so if you do upgrade, its best to do it when you first get the ps4 or you will have to download every game and install every game again, which sucks. i dont mind reinstalling my bluray titles but having to download all my psn titles, which are quite a few, is crap.

[ACF]Umax likes this.
    12. 82
      advancedarcade

advancedarcade Loyal Member

I switched out my PS4's HD right away so Im not sure what you meant about not switching hard drives. And its true about having to install the games, but at least you can start playing them before the install finishes.

13. 1,232
      Misfit

Misfit Loyal Member

The mandatory updates are a joke, for the most part they are DLC that you probably won't buy anyway. In the 2 months that I had to use my vodafone hotspot I couldn't use the xb1 when every game had a multi GB update. People can too easily compare the PS4 updates and xb1, the xb1 updates are super bloated and for the most part add ons and not fixes. There is no logical defense for this money hungry organization unless not giving a shit about gamers counts. Another thing, full rgb working yet? Not for me, good thing I love crushed blacks and mega high gamma to make the colours "pop"

14. 141
      xTONE

xTONE Loyal Member

Then i guess you cant read and have never played on a xbox one...

i said the xb1 will be allowed to use external hdd for game storage. sony came out and said they have no plans on allowing that. At some point its going to be possible for a person to have enough games to fill up the biggest single hard drive you can put in a ps4... SOOO my point was the xb1 actually has the upper hand as far as storage is concerned if you ask me...

And you realize you can play a game while it installs on the xbox one too right?

15. 4,415
      JonathanD

JonathanD Loyal Member

I wonder if I can emulate it? Not that emulation is ever as good as the real deal :( lol *I am so jelly*

I am not sure a decent emu even exists for the machine? (Might have to look into it now. lol) although it's never quite right for most machines.

Some systems are emulated almost to perfection, and some are not so much.... lol

16. 5,605
      Battlefield

Battlefield Loyal Member

Home Page:
      http://
      Sony knows that Wii U supports 2 * 2.TB external drives integrated into OS. That worked well, so why not on PS4?
      Its not even official Nintendo drives. It supports any cheap generic PC HD.

Microsofts way of supporting "external Storage" is to use sloow 32.GB USB Sticks. External Storage on Xbone might only be slow pen drivelike s 360 did. MS haven't said anything about external storage in one year, so i guess they skipped that part. It don't take long time for a company like MS to make this feature, especially now when its more needed than ever.

Remember when MS bragged about upgrading external drive for bigger capacity on 360?
      Well.. that was a laugh. It went from 16 to 32.GB. DOH!

Not only that, Nintendo says that you should never use USB Flash Drives as none of them supports unlimited writing.
      External HD is what N recommends on a game console on official page.

If Nintendo can support external drives, everyone else can.
      Wii U also supports SSD, but recommends that you use use external case with power for it.

Nintendo should infact be the last company ever to support big drives, and yet they were first.
      Iwata even said one time that if needed in future, they can upgraded Wii U firmware to support 2 * 4.TB drives at the same time which means 8.TB externally.
      This on a console that doesen't even have mandatory installs at all.

If you buy Wii U retail games digitally, there is games above 15.GB. Thats the only way to suck space on Wii U, if you don't buy discs.
      BTW: Wii U supports wireless PC keyboard.

Does PS4 and Xbone support wireless PC keyboard?

sped: Third parties would care even less about Wii U if they removed the touch pad.
      The touch pad is 100% integrated with console, and yet it doesen't suck resources at all.

With lack of power the console makes up for it by having less limitations on controls.
      Note that Wii U also supports every Wii controller to date, and most games already supports Wiimote + nunchuk on Wii U.
      Also LAN Adapter etc.. works from Wii.

DEDDOA:

I have 750.GB on PS3, and frequently need to delete stuff to get room for new.
      If 750.GB is too little on PS3, then 500.GB is nothing on PS4.

The only thing i have installed on PS3 is patches, saves, PSN Games, Mandatory installs (Had to remove alot of them) and

As for 360, i also have serous space issues. I have 320.GB + 4.GB + 32.GB, and i have even moved 40.GB of Music game stuff to my secondary 360. I still have space issues on 360 with no mandatory installs.

How could 420.GB on Xbone ever be enough for me which requires much bigger?

There is no music, pictures, video or trailers stored on any of my consoles.

rednekcowboy likes this.
    17. 5,961
      DEDDOA

DEDDOA Loyal Member

Like I said, gaming PC, 10 game installed 240GB SSD - 81GB Free

Rock Smith with all DLC
      Rock Smith 2014 with all DLC
      World of Warcraft
      Diablo 3
      Metro Last Light
      Castlevania - Lords of Shadow 2
      Batman Arkham Origins with Cold, Cold Heart DLC
      Bioshock Infinite with Burial at Sea parts 1 and 2
      Castle of Illusion
      Thief

PS3 hacked with full games on the HDD as opposed to installs, 18 games 500GB HDD 126GB free
      Diablo 3
      Dead Space Extraction
      FF 13
      FF 13-X2+DLC
      God of War Ascension
      God of War Collection
      God of War Collection 2
      Infamous
      Infamous 2
      Ninja Gaiden Sigma
      Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
      Prince of Persia 3D
      Siren Blood Curse
      The Last of US
      Uncharted
      Uncharted 2
      Uncharted 3
      Wipeout HD + Fury

Yes it's nice to have all your games on the HDD so you don't have to install again but it's not a deal breaker if you can't, as every PC gamer well knows where you have to sometimes uninstall games to put others on and we have been having to do it for a damn sight longer than consoles. The external storage option is a more versatile option than swapping out a HDD as well, as I have learned on the PS3 it's not fun to re-install and download all those games when you try putting that drive into another PS3 and it wipes it (admittedly it wouldn't if I had paid attention but then I had had a few at the time so my observation skills were far from the best:) ). I'd take adding extra storage over replacing any day so that kind of makes it a better option in my view than being able to swap out a drive for a larger one

It's all about how you use your storage and not just how big it is (lol had to edit that and change "it" to "your storage" as it sounded a tad wrong :D ). If you are using it as a long term store than yes the extra space is a good idea, but none of the consoles have been designed like that. I for instance have managed perfectly fine on 60GB for my PS3 since launch even though the games frequently have unwanted installs, but I just uninstalled what I was no longer playing to free up space.

Mind you then there is the likes of my Steam Box, I was going to just get a 60GB SSD but as the OS eats up 30GB before you even start the install I opted for 120 so I could triple boot it with XBMC Linux standalone and Windows 8.1. I only use it for streaming (which it does very well over LAN at least, so I am now sold on the OS, I recommend downloading this version http://directhex.github.io/steamos-installer/ and joining the client beta for steam to enable the streaming, it also support non steam games and even other clients as I have also added Battle.Net, Origin and Uplay to my Steam Library and it will run the games from them) and that's directly from my gaming PC so storage is not really an issue as such with the 50GB of partitions it uses being plenty or if anything maybe too much.

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2014
    18. 141
      xTONE

xTONE Loyal Member

Man that was hard to read thru.... m$ already stated it will be ANY ntfs external hard drive (no size limits) that can be used on the xbox one. theyve also recently mentioned it will be included in the NEXT update. and Sony stated they have NO intentions to allow external HDD's on the ps4

Keep trying tho i give you an A for effort

19. 6,626
      tech3475

tech3475 Loyal Member

If the PS4 is based on BSD then it should be easy to add external storage even if it's a kludge like using symbolic links.

The only reason I can think of why they wouldn't is if they use some sought of encryption like on the PS3 which IIRC was hardware based to reduce loading time, that could explain if they don't support it since Sony's paranoid about this type of thing (because god forbid someone seeing game data).

That said, I can see external storage being increasingly demanded, for example, when I put forza in the Xbone I had to download a 10GB patch for it after waiting for the initial install.

Unless the BD drives are that s***y I can see in 1-2 years the option of a hybrid install system where you only have to install 'core' data to the HDD but load the rest off the drive.

20. 141
      xTONE

xTONE Loyal Member

i dont think that forza patch added 10gb to the install size as much as it replaced 10gb worth of the data. and im not saying the ps4 "cant" add external storage options. im just saying that sony purposely came out and said theyre not gonna allow it. this is why in my orig post i said (until they change their mind)