hit tracker

XMB Integrated File Manager - (Constantly Work-In-Progress / Proof-Of-Concept)

Discussion in 'PS3 Technical Only Topics' started by DeViL303, Jan 21, 2012.

1. 216
    DeViL303

DeViL303 Loyal Member

We have made a little XMB mod for the 3.55 XMB that we call XMB File Manager (XMBFM). It is a modded version of Rebug’s package manager which in turn is a modded version of the official install packages option/XMB icon, Our version allows the entire ps3 filesystem to be browsed and also any files types can be seen and deleted, we also planning on adding a lot more to the Manager and maybe building in the SaveData/Gamedata options to tidy up the XMB game category. We are hoping to add things like copy function etc too but would like to get feedback and help if anyones game?

Already got some nice devs helping out since this was originally posted, Bitsbubba, PS3hen, Andreus , abuser , aldostools and more! :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Im told the latest version also works fine on most if not all 3.41/3.55 based FWs (even on 4.00 OFW, probably works on every OFW ever made if its added to the relevant xmls from that FW, to clarify : I dont mean this exact version would work on any FW, but it probably could be ported to any OFW quite easily with a text editor and rcomage!) I havnt tested it on anything except Rebug 3.55.2 CFW myself, Its been confirmed working on 3.55 kmeaw , 3.55OFW, 3.55Cobra , 3.55 TB etc, 3.41 Hermes , Worst case senario you would need to reinstall your FW through recovery menu if its not compatible with your FW.

This is a beta version for anyone who might be interested in helping us test it or improve on it. Any Ideas/suggestions on more things to add to it, let us know

Options available so far in v0.06c
    - ★PS3Crunch Release Thread A link to this thread for now as a POC idea to have it link to an info page on the web. planning to exapnd this into links to lots of GOOD ps3 sites.
    - ★Life with playstation is a WIP option to allow the filemanager to update itself by downloading its own package to hdd and installing automatically (like [email protected])
    - ★PS Vita Utility is a POC idea for being able to at least delete ps vita gamedata from ps3, for now its a clone of ps3 gamedata, Im waiting until I get my Vita before i look at this again :)
    - ★Custom PS3 Filesystem Manager is the main cool addition that allows all drives on the system to be browsed and any files types deleted (dev_flash files cant be deleted unless it is mounted as something else, eg. dev_blind)
    - ★Rebug Package Manager The other three options are the same as included in Rebugs Package Manager so Ill quote cyberskunk from Rebug.me
    Install instructions: It requires you to switch 3 files from dev_flash. heres a quick tut:
    - I use multiman , go to settings near the bottom of menu.
    - select the mount dev_flash to dev_blind option. click enable
    - next go to multiman file manager
    - copy over the 3 files to thier different locations
    - category_game.xml and category_game_tool.xml go in dev_blind/vsh/resource/explore/xmb/
    - explore_plugin_full.rco goes in dev_blind/vsh/resource/
    - next disable dev_blind option in multiman
    - then exit multiman to see your new XMB File Manager
    - none of this applies if there is a package version available of course, then its as simple as installing a package (based on Rebugs package manager installer and ported to XMBFM by Bitsbubba) and running it and selecting your FW version and icon set :)

This is fairly safe and I have even tested deleting most of dev_flash before and its easy reinstall FW through recovery menu so dont worry, just make sure you are on some version of 3.55/3.41 (or 4.00 for ps3hens version but flasher required, no pkg)

Have fun and let us know if you have any ideas on how we could expand it by adding things like copy function etc

Big massive thanks to Cyberskunk and Evilsperm (Team Rebug) for the Package Manager mods which this is based on. And also for Rebug CFW.. its my favourite!
    I have a little idea for an addition to your official package manger : Add an "information" link inside it that opens the browser and goes straight to Rebug.me site or your support forum on PS3crunch :)

Big thanks to PS3hen who has confirmed its still working on OFW4.00, He has built it into his impressive 4.00HFW (Flasher required for 4.00 install). Also for the icon updates and more

Big thanks to Bitsbubba for making the latest versions into pkg files and plenty more!(pkg file based on the package manager installer, thanks Rebug :))

Big thanks to Andreus for joining us and bringing a much deeper understanding of the ps3 xmls to the project, lots of new improvments are down to him, really getting somewhere now. :)

We would of course like this to become even more of a collaboration if anyones interested, no E-fame to be had here ;) , this is about making something useful for everyone while also being as open as possible and showing everyone our progress, i hope this will inspire others to help on this project or start thier own xmb additions. :)

Heres a bit of a to do list that we would like to add (if these things are actually possible) ,we will update and repost every so often after adding suggestions and bug fixes
    - Adding Copy/rename functions for all filetypes (complicated but hopefully we can)
    - Proper names for all the partitions (easy but will take some time)
    - Proper icons for all the partitions (easy but we need to code the above entires first, can use icons already in FW when thats done)
    - A custom icon for XMBFM on XMB (ill leave this up to someone else)
    - Finish off the built in updater and get a direct link set up for the pkg files like sonys.
    - Get the information option linking to a dedicated info page which we need to write and get hosted (or we can also just build in a info page but i like the idea of being able to update it without updating the app)
    - Add a new category for favourite ps3 scene websites so they can have a direct link on the xmb inside the Filemanager, like PS3Crunch , rebug.me, ps3 dev wiki, etc.
    - move the PS3 gamedata and save data icons/options inside the file manager to tidy up the Game category.
    - Adding the ability to download unknown filetypes to the internal HDD
    - Move Rebug Package Manager into its own sub category inside XMBFM so its like it was before.
    - Not sure about the stars in the menu, I think its a cool way of keeping track of whats not a standard retail option for now, but if too many get added they will get annoying.

UPDATES

-★ UPDATE 1: Released v0.04 with 2 versions, one for normal retail xmb, and one for rebug/debug xmb.

-★ UPDATE 2: It has been confirmed working on all 3.55 based FWs so far such as Kmeaw CFW, Rebug , Cobra etc, No major bugs have been reported so far on any FW.

-★ UPDATE 3: ps3hen has confirmed this also works on OFW4.00 and has made a video showing it running (currently only way to install is by building it into a 4.00 pup and updating from 3.55 :( )

-★ UPDATE 4: PS3Crunch member Bitsbubba has updated the latest v0.04 to be installed Via package (0.05 i think?)instead of manually, hes also updated it to show in ingame XMB and updated it to show in all languages. GREAT WORK!

-★ UPDATE 5: Released v0.06 - attached below (not in a pkg, manual install for now) Started adding a WIP ps vita manager. changed somethings around. After installing this version you will notice your Remote Play description is updated to look like the latest 4.00 version as ive taken newer messages out of 4.00 rco files ;) , just cosmetic but still, I like it! Also Ive had a very nice idea for the next release ;).

-★ UPDATE 6 : Released a v0.06c category_game.xml (attached below)
    - This update will only show up in the retail menu.
    - Have now added a "Information" link above all the others inside the XMBFM, it opens the browser and links to this thread! :)
    - Also added a built in XMBFM updater section that is based on the [email protected] download section from network xmls, ive now got it so it will download a pkg for me from brewology
    - but it wont install it yet, errors out at start of install , I need a direct pkg link to some signed homebrew to test, anyone??

-★ UPDATE 7: attached a better download of v0.06c so its easier for people to install, Just swap the 3 files contained in LATEST.PS3.XMBFM.zip and thats it.

-★ UPDATE 8: Bitsbubba has done his thing again and updated XMBFM to 0.08a with some nice improvements, and hes also made it into a pkg for us, geat work , now new updates show in all languages, ingame xmb and includes PS3hens new icons. also now working on 3.41, NICE! :)

-★ UPDATE 9: New contributer Andreus has streamlined the code and come up with some handy shorter ways of doing things, also commented the xmls to make them easier for everyone to understand , and now Bitsbubba has packaged it up for us too in ver 0.08b :) Download link below.

-★ UPDATE 10: Andreus has updated the filesystem browser section to have icons and better decriptions etc, its a lot nicer looking now (see latest pics attached). Also i have moved the Gamedata/savedata sections, into the XMBM and updated some other icons/titles etc. Manual install on this version for now, link below. v0.08 is still latest version in a pkg.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    >>>>>Latest Package Version XMBFM v0.08b DOWNLOAD LINK HERE<<<<<
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

>>>>>Latest manual install Version XMBM v0.09 DOWNLOAD LINK HERE<<<<<

Icon update : Ps3hen has made a nice icon for xmb using the PS Plus symbol! also he has posted a link to a tool for people to convert icons to gim files for use on PS3! Ive attached both the original and ps3hens here for now. Ive also started work on some custom icons for the package installer section
    item_tex_download_pkg.png item_tex_hdd_pkgs.png item_tex_usb_pkg.png View attachment 2027 View attachment 2042

Sorry it doesnt allow copying yet, Im hoping some devs will help me with that bit as I know nothing about code. In theory if only the xmls/rcos are modifed to allow copying all filetypes then it would probably work fine on all OFW as these text files are only calling on functions that are already available to them, that is the reason I think this File Manager is so cool and should be developed more, because it will "RUN" on ANY OFW in theory, but I need some help or adding features like copying and renaming etc to all file types is not going to happen! If it does happen it would be a very handy tool for exploiting 4.00+ OFW wouldnt it?? A small example, being able to write the xRegistry.sys file on pc and write it onto console etc :)

Attached Files:

2. 734
    bitsbubba

bitsbubba Loyal Member

I have a couple Ideas let me play a bit with it and I'll let you know! Good show DeViL303!! :D

3. 216
    DeViL303

DeViL303 Loyal Member

4. 216
    DeViL303

DeViL303 Loyal Member

To do list added to first post. :)

5. 216
    DeViL303

DeViL303 Loyal Member

latest version is v0.06

6. 734
    bitsbubba

bitsbubba Loyal Member

7. 216
    DeViL303

DeViL303 Loyal Member

Sorry, 0.03 wasnt going to get released,0.04 was supposed to be the first pkg version but we had a problem with the pkg so i released 0.03 instead. its the very same as 0.04 was going to be its just not in a package. 0.03 even says 0.04 it the xmb. :)

8. 216
    DeViL303

DeViL303 Loyal Member

BTW: I reckon this will work on ALL OFW! Now if we can just get the copy function working we would be getting somewhere.

P.S. sorry I didnt ask your permission to do this Team Rebug, I tried contacting you through rebug,me to ask you a few questions and tell you what I was doing but got no reply. i thought you probably wouldnt mind anyway as I shared with you before. :)

9. 734
    bitsbubba

bitsbubba Loyal Member

just a heads up but explore_category_game.rco also needs edited if you want it to show up in the ingame XMB, I've just ported it over to my NFW v3-CobraUSB to the "Homebrew Channel" category,working great thanks! If your wanting any help or ideas contact me! Also might want to put out warning of not using in conjunction with dev_blind (or having it activated in multiMAN) it might cause problem when you start deleting from the dev_flash

Edit: you also might want to do some copy/paste to all the language XML files as that's how REBUG has it

10. 216
    DeViL303

DeViL303 Loyal Member

Thats cool about ingame xmb, cheers for the tip. im might do the other languages if I have time, have you seen it running on ps3hens 4.00HFW with debug options while signed in? fairly f***in cool i think!! :)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAYqtBAHaLk&feature=player_embedded

Dont know why this isnt getting more attention on here. maybe its because i released it originally at the wrong site :)

11. 9
    arturo_ennb

arturo_ennb Loyal Member

just saw the video and looks pretty real to me You have one a GREAT JOB!!!

Just wondering where it all leads to, hope that it opens the doors to something great.

12. 4,102
    gDrive

gDrive Not Your Mommas Tranny Clean-Up Crew

Home Page:
    http://techbliss.org
    Sadly for you, True Blue is PS3Crunch's equivalent to a boner-inducing supermodel that everyone loves to dream about! :p

Okay, that was a bad joke I must admit, but basically, most of the attention here is towards True Blue at the moment!

13. 216
    DeViL303

DeViL303 Loyal Member

O right, I dont come on here much as you can see by my post count. Are you saying that people here like true blue and are mad about it, or what? Sarcasm? sorry but it seems lots hate it and are trying to get the features for free?

14. 121
    slarty1408

slarty1408 Loyal Member

good work DeViL303 another step forward an app running on a mfw that signs in to psn i will defo be playing with this just a question about this dose this mean we can copy eboots/ edats ect to where we want ..... usb/edat to home/xxxxxx1/edat ect on MFW 4.00

15. 4,102
    gDrive

gDrive Not Your Mommas Tranny Clean-Up Crew

Home Page:
    http://techbliss.org
    Yep basically, although you do get the odd vocal anti-TB person here and there, but not to the same degree as PS3Hax - that site is rife with anti-TB fanatics.

16. 734
    bitsbubba

bitsbubba Loyal Member

I own both TB and Cobra, I'd rather pay for what I want then bitch about not getting them for free

17. 216
    DeViL303

DeViL303 Loyal Member

Im not bitchin. I too dont mind paying for what I want, I just buy any new games I want as there isnt many good new ones I like anyway. I have nothing against Cobra/TrueBlue and Ive even spent a good while on other sites defending them and the princible that devs should be allowed to choose to charge for thier hacks, and anyone who wants them can choose to buy them, I dont see the big issue to be honest. Its win win for everyone in my opinion , anyone who doesnt like the dongles isnt forced to buy them. Of course it would be nice to have all the Cobra/TrueBlue features for free but I can wait for Duplex and the Scene to catch up. :)

18. 38
    Lethal_NFS

Lethal_NFS Loyal Member

Does this work on Rebug 3.55.2 TB? I skimmed through the pages and did not see this answered anywhere.

Ok, it works just fine. :)

19. 734
    bitsbubba

bitsbubba Loyal Member

no I didn't mean you, I was just speaking in general about all those who do :D

20. 114
    atreyu187

atreyu187 Loyal Member

Waiter
    Home Page:
    http://www.underground-gamer.com/
    I agree there, get a job, contribute or STFO. The PS3 scene has a bunch a whiny brats that reminds me of all the children on XBL screaming "OMFG you so just totally cheated, stop glitching the game and play fair!!". I even condone TB BD-R as they are cheap anyhow it isn't like they are making a killing on the darn things selling them for retail price.

To the dev this is sweet I was hoping it would get ported from more then rebug as I switched to TB CFWv2, but I hope this works as I coudln't get rebug package manager to work on the system, anyone confirm it to work on TB CFWv2? And keep up the good work don't let the haters get you down.

It is a crappy outlook most don't share my friend. Especially around here, I have dropped even checking the other sites for info just because of all the drama. I mean PS3hax kill me with the "Don't buy DRM diseased dongles, but please don't click the advertised link we have for all three DRM dongles. But for some reason we only have hate for TB and JB King Cobra DRM dongles are ok with us." What a joke they had some credibility a while back now they are advertising whores just like EX-Scene.

EDIT

Ok finally got it installed on Cobra-USB CFW and TB CFW v2, on Cobra you can use either Rebug or normal icons and apply the patch and it works. But for TB CFWv2 you have to use the original icon set as the rebug one will not work, but using the normal one with package manager v0.9 1.1 installer it works fine on all dongle even my PS3CHeat I got for free. SO lets review

Install PS3 Package Manager v0.9 Installer v1.1 from ReBug team and install the correct set I have made below for you depending on which dongle you are using. Also you must first enable dev_blind from the settings on the XMMB it is the very last option or you will not see dev_blind and can't actually write to the PS3. Go to the file manager

Cobra-USB CFW Rebug or original icons work fine to enable XMB file manager on Cobra

True Blue CFWv2 would only work if installing the original icons as the ReBug icons noting happened after reset, tried with the normal one and worked right away.

After Package Manager is installed and working and dev_blind is enabled go to your file manager of choice and add the two files below from package "XMB_File_Manager_Beta v0.03R_OFW_or_rebug_retail_menu_only.zip" after un-zipping of course.

explorer_plugin_full.rco goes into the dev_blind/vsh/resource folder
    category_game.xml goes into the dev_blind/vsh/resource/explorer/XMB

Follow these guidelines and dongle users can enjoy this neat hack I truly enjoy as you see different things with TB BD-R are inserted. Maybe it will lead to nothing but you never know. Just wanted to test out for both dongle owners.

Oh also those two files above can be added to Bitsbubba's NFWv3 without the need of the Package Manager v0.9 Installer v1.1 as it is already applied to the CFW. Just use dev_blind option and cut and paste.